Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
We got on a waitlist at the beginning of January 2019 and will be bringing our puppy home in August 2020. I told myself many many times that we are waiting for the perfect dog for our family and when the timing is right it will happen. My advice first and foremost is to be patient. Waiting for a few months is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Secondly sometimes breeders will have things fall through so get on those lists! I have a friend who was working with a lab breeder and she had no availability but had a breeder friend who had a litter and someone backed out so they got their puppy!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with most of the posters above to be patient. I started my search early last year and discovered this forum around May 2019. Got few good references in my area for breeders and contacted them. One year later I still dont have a puppy but I am on the list for one of the reputed breeders in my area.
I understand the disappointment and frustration too. I thought I almost had a puppy who would have been coming home this weekend, had things worked out. When things didn't go as planned I was tempted to contact a local breeder with not the best credentials and get a puppy from the multiple litters they were having. But I didn't go that route as the dogs's health is very important for me. Years back I lost my 6 month old puppy and that experience has left me scarred for life.
So I decided to get back on the wait list of a breeder and wait for the right puppy.
I am not saying you need to follow my path. But do understand the health issues GRs have and be mindful of the breeder you get the puppy from. You dont want to bring a bundle of joy into your home and heart and lose him in few years because of health issues that could have been avoided if the breeder was good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same exact story here on the east coast/NE. Since March I have reached out to both Lab and Golden breeders in ME, NH, MA, PA, NC and even reached out to a few local/state clubs for referrals. Fortunately, I found this forum and was able to educate myself enough to decide to avoid Ridleys Reds and Golden Sunrise Puppy barn. With my inquiries I was either ignored or told the waitlist is 20-30 people long. The one woman told me I would need to wait 3 years!! This is absurd. Don't get me wrong, I am all in favor of supporting responsible breeders, but it should not be this difficult/complicated to get a pet dog. It is not like I am looking for some exotic rare breed that is hard to come by. I do like the darker color coat goldens and contacted Adirondac, but she said sorry they have been getting 20 emails every day. It really is extremely difficult to make the "right" choice (as advised on these threads) to go with a reputable breeder and given the massively uneven ratio between supply and demand it is no wonder puppy mills/backyard breeders thrive. For what it is worth I would consider an adult golden that a breeder is no longer breeding or decided not to breed. If anyone has any recommendations, suggestions or referrals it would be very much appreciated. And thanks again for all the comments/advice on this forum.
We did exactly that - reached out to almost all the golden & lab breeders in Michigan for a retiring adult. It was frustrating because many did not reply, but those that did were very helpful and shared names with us of possible resources. I was clear to let the breeders know that I had both personal and veterinarian references. We found the perfect 6.5 year old English Cream Golden after a long and quite heartbreaking search. She has been with us almost 4 months and is adored by everyone who meets her! I don’t mean to offend anyone, but in my experience dog breeding people can be a bit different . Good luck! It will be worth the wait!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Here’s just a little bit of feedback. I just saw my breeder and I asked, “So how many requests have you had for puppies.” And she said, “Oh my gosh...so many calls and emails. I could have placed well over 200 puppies if I had them and people qualified.” But she has...no puppies. And most people want puppies now. Not a promise of “whenever it happens.” And of her six females...only one could even have puppies at this time.

So I think people look at breeders websites and see the dogs they have but not all dogs are of age, not all are finished with a champion, some are done breeding and it’s not updated.

Patience is definitely key. And if you find someone you like and trust: get on their list and wait!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Same exact story here on the east coast/NE. Since March I have reached out to both Lab and Golden breeders in ME, NH, MA, PA, NC and even reached out to a few local/state clubs for referrals. Fortunately, I found this forum and was able to educate myself enough to decide to avoid Ridleys Reds and Golden Sunrise Puppy barn. With my inquiries I was either ignored or told the waitlist is 20-30 people long. The one woman told me I would need to wait 3 years!! This is absurd. Don't get me wrong, I am all in favor of supporting responsible breeders, but it should not be this difficult/complicated to get a pet dog. It is not like I am looking for some exotic rare breed that is hard to come by. I do like the darker color coat goldens and contacted Adirondac, but she said sorry they have been getting 20 emails every day. It really is extremely difficult to make the "right" choice (as advised on these threads) to go with a reputable breeder and given the massively uneven ratio between supply and demand it is no wonder puppy mills/backyard breeders thrive. For what it is worth I would consider an adult golden that a breeder is no longer breeding or decided not to breed. If anyone has any recommendations, suggestions or referrals it would be very much appreciated. And thanks again for all the comments/advice on this forum.
I hear ya! I've also heard breeders are being inundated with emails/calls so I empathize with them that this is not an easy situation for them either! For me, it's extremely important that my puppy come from a reputable breeder. I'm not really willing to compromise that and get a puppy from someone who breeds several times a year (mostly for profit). Where I am from, there's a list of several reputable breeders but as you mentioned, the demand is high so there aren't enough puppies to go around. I've had some lovely responses from reputable breeders who either say they aren't expecting a litter, interest list is already high, and some that have referred me to others. I have really appreciated those responses. I've had other well-known breeders not reply at all..not even to follow-ups. And that is okay, but I just rule those breeders out of my list. Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I understand your frustration. We have had two Goldens from reputable breeders over the years and at the time it wasn’t so difficult as it is now. Everyone wants a pup. We just lost our sweet Golden to cancer at the age of 8 and are in search of another one. I too have agonized over the waiting list thing and having multiple deposits everywhere. It gets expensive for sure. From my experience it is worth the wait and if you find a highly rated breeder who does all the right things, it is worth the wait.
Thanks for sharing! So sorry for your dog, that must be really difficult :(. I hope you are able to find a breeder even if it is a little bit of a wait. And yes, I don't plan on giving in and buying a puppy from a mill or anyone who just sells for profit. I know I will fall in love with my puppy so I'm not willing to risk the health issues that come with buying a puppy from someone who doesn't prioritize health. So yeah, I'm hanging in there!! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
We got on a waitlist at the beginning of January 2019 and will be bringing our puppy home in August 2020. I told myself many many times that we are waiting for the perfect dog for our family and when the timing is right it will happen. My advice first and foremost is to be patient. Waiting for a few months is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Secondly sometimes breeders will have things fall through so get on those lists! I have a friend who was working with a lab breeder and she had no availability but had a breeder friend who had a litter and someone backed out so they got their puppy!
Congrats! How exciting! And wow, I am impressed with your patience. That is a long time but I completely agree..time does tend to go fast even if it seems so far away.
Yes, thanks for your encouragement. I have hope and know things will work out if they are meant to :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I agree with most of the posters above to be patient. I started my search early last year and discovered this forum around May 2019. Got few good references in my area for breeders and contacted them. One year later I still dont have a puppy but I am on the list for one of the reputed breeders in my area.
I understand the disappointment and frustration too. I thought I almost had a puppy who would have been coming home this weekend, had things worked out. When things didn't go as planned I was tempted to contact a local breeder with not the best credentials and get a puppy from the multiple litters they were having. But I didn't go that route as the dogs's health is very important for me. Years back I lost my 6 month old puppy and that experience has left me scarred for life.
So I decided to get back on the wait list of a breeder and wait for the right puppy.
I am not saying you need to follow my path. But do understand the health issues GRs have and be mindful of the breeder you get the puppy from. You dont want to bring a bundle of joy into your home and heart and lose him in few years because of health issues that could have been avoided if the breeder was good.
Your post is so relatable! I feel like so many people have been through situations where it seemed like everything was going to work out only to have it fall through. That's super disappointing so I'm sorry to hear that.
Yeah at this point, it is worth the wait if it's coming from a reputable breeders and I don't plan on caving in but the lists are just so long that I'm not even sure it'll within the next year. We'll see though..not losing hope!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
We did exactly that - reached out to almost all the golden & lab breeders in Michigan for a retiring adult. It was frustrating because many did not reply, but those that did were very helpful and shared names with us of possible resources. I was clear to let the breeders know that I had both personal and veterinarian references. We found the perfect 6.5 year old English Cream Golden after a long and quite heartbreaking search. She has been with us almost 4 months and is adored by everyone who meets her! I don’t mean to offend anyone, but in my experience dog breeding people can be a bit different . Good luck! It will be worth the wait!
Aw yay! So glad your found your companion! :)
Yes, I've had both experiences where reputable breeders are incredible helpful and give me other breeders that I can contact or if they don't know of any, they have told me what to look out for (health clearances & red flags). I have appreciated this greatly. We've also had no responses at all even after follow-ups. At first, I was disappointed but then I decided to just mark those off my list. No biggie :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Here’s just a little bit of feedback. I just saw my breeder and I asked, “So how many requests have you had for puppies.” And she said, “Oh my gosh...so many calls and emails. I could have placed well over 200 puppies if I had them and people qualified.” But she has...no puppies. And most people want puppies now. Not a promise of “whenever it happens.” And of her six females...only one could even have puppies at this time.

So I think people look at breeders websites and see the dogs they have but not all dogs are of age, not all are finished with a champion, some are done breeding and it’s not updated.

Patience is definitely key. And if you find someone you like and trust: get on their list and wait!!
Yep, thanks for shedding another light. There can be so many factors that contribute to not enough puppies to go around. Hanging on to patience and hope for sure!

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I'm a POC, my parents are immigrants from India. Racism is something I have experienced many times, although certainly not to the extent that black Americans are currently facing. The topic of race and sexuality in the dog world is so incredibly important, I really wish it were talked about more.

Honestly, I've found that the dog world as a whole is truly very accepting of different races/sexualities/lifestyle choices, etc. I have never had a problem, however I have found that specific people can have racial undertones (vs like a whole community of people - does that differentiation make sense?) There was a breeder I really liked, whose program I admired. Lately her facebook feed has been filled with posts that are honestly a little nervewracking for me, as a person of color, to read. I really don't know if she realizes how some of those posts come across, I am not sure of their intention. I just know it made me nervous.

Remember that whatever breeder you get a puppy from will hopefully be apart of your life for a very long time. Consider the type of person you want to have in your life - if that's a genuine fear you have (that a breeder disregarded you due to skin color or sexuality or whatever), perhaps it's not the worst thing in the world.

But again - I have never had any personal issues due to race. I have only ever been met with open arms and friendly attitudes. What i spoke about above? Only time I have ever experienced something like that. Actually, there was one person specifically I was kind of nervous about meeting for the first time a couple years ago (for no real reason actually, I had some really unfair prejudices) - she is the sweetest lady on the face of the planet. Like legitimately very kind.

Honestly, I don't think I had a goal in writing this out - that facebook thing really threw me a lot - but I think if you got the vibe that the breeder disregarded you due to skin color, you may not be entirely wrong. I can tell you that I haven't had negative experiences, but I know those feelings and they don't really come out of nowhere.

·
Kate
21,295 Posts
To be fair though.... I think some of the difficulties which Indian Americans deal with have nothing to do with skin color. There's language and culture barriers that make it kinda tough for first generation peeps.... I think.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'm a POC, my parents are immigrants from India. Racism is something I have experienced many times, although certainly not to the extent that black Americans are currently facing. The topic of race and sexuality in the dog world is so incredibly important, I really wish it were talked about more.

Honestly, I've found that the dog world as a whole is truly very accepting of different races/sexualities/lifestyle choices, etc. I have never had a problem, however I have found that specific people can have racial undertones (vs like a whole community of people - does that differentiation make sense?) There was a breeder I really liked, whose program I admired. Lately her facebook feed has been filled with posts that are honestly a little nervewracking for me, as a person of color, to read. I really don't know if she realizes how some of those posts come across, I am not sure of their intention. I just know it made me nervous.

Remember that whatever breeder you get a puppy from will hopefully be apart of your life for a very long time. Consider the type of person you want to have in your life - if that's a genuine fear you have (that a breeder disregarded you due to skin color or sexuality or whatever), perhaps it's not the worst thing in the world.

But again - I have never had any personal issues due to race. I have only ever been met with open arms and friendly attitudes. What i spoke about above? Only time I have ever experienced something like that. Actually, there was one person specifically I was kind of nervous about meeting for the first time a couple years ago (for no real reason actually, I had some really unfair prejudices) - she is the sweetest lady on the face of the planet. Like legitimately very kind.

Honestly, I don't think I had a goal in writing this out - that facebook thing really threw me a lot - but I think if you got the vibe that the breeder disregarded you due to skin color, you may not be entirely wrong. I can tell you that I haven't had negative experiences, but I know those feelings and they don't really come out of nowhere.
Hi! Thanks for sharing your thoughts/experiences! I am glad you have had no problems in the dog community regarding any racial/background matters. And thank you for acknowledging my feelings on the vibe I got from a certain breeder. I deleted that part from my post because I was sure it might stir up the pot a bit but I was really genuinely asking in case someone had a similar experience. I also wanted to make sure my words weren't taken out of context as I do not want to generalize the dog breeding community. I mentioned I had many lovely replies and helpful responses from most :). But as you mentioned...feelings don't come out of nowhere. And the way I decided to handle that was just by marking that person off my list because yes, I do want to get a puppy from a reputable breeder but I also want to have a relationship with the breeder. I also want to acknowledge that there could have been many other factors as to why I received no response but I just wanted to share a very personal feeling that others could maybe relate to :). Anyway, I so appreciate your thoughtful response. I am currently talking to a breeder who has been nothing but wonderful from the beginning so I am crossing my fingers! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all!

I hope you are all well. I came across this forum while searching for a puppy just a couple of months ago. It has been the biggest help (not knowing anything about breeders/health clearances/ ethical breeding practices). I have learned an incredible amount so I wanted to thank all of you who take the time to answer people's questions with well-thought out and detailed responses.

so I excitedly started to research breeders somewhat near us and reached out to a few. Many were very nice and replied within a couple of days even if it was just to let me know that were are no planned litters until late in the year or early next year. I appreciated this considering breeders must be bombarded with emails right now. Some I reached out to on Facebook on their breeder page and while my message got viewed, it didn't receive a reply. I even followed up, got viewed, and still didn't receive a reply. I put a lot of thought into my inquires and am always respectful so I was pretty disappointed :/

Anyway, the breeders with planned litters later in the year and even until next year...already have a huge interest list. And so now I am confused as to whether I should get on as many interest lists as I can and then let all breeders know when I have officially put down a deposit OR follow puppy buying etiquette and get put on one interest list at a time? I am really just trying to be as thoughtful as I can about this because I know this is a lot on breeders too but it's so discouraging to be on an interest list where you don't end up making it to the official waiting list and then having to start over.

Okay, this has gotten too long. I just wanted to vent a bit :). And also, hoping to hear some encouraging stories where some of you made it past the interest list and will be getting your puppy sooner than expected! I'd love to hear! And also, if you too just wanted to vent... I am here for that too :)

Good Lucky Everyone! We'll get through this!
Hi There -

I'm in the same situation...we lost our last dog (of 3) in December and 6 months seemed like a good time to start looking for a puppy. Little did we know that we would be up against the covid puppy scarcity (if that's what going on). I also have been reaching out to breeders with limited responses. I realize that they have more than enough interest, but it is discouraging. I really hope to find a breeder who is close enough that I can meet in person (200 mile range) and willing to accept a deposit; I understand that there will be a wait for a puppy. Anyway, still searching. Good luck (btw, I'm in Northern California - don't know if it's any better or worse than other areas).

·
Registered
27 Posts
I can definitely relate to this. I've been looking since December-ish and it has been a heartbreaking and frustrating process. Wish I had some advice to pass on but at least I can send morale support. Good luck!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts