Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all!

I hope you are all well. I came across this forum while searching for a puppy just a couple of months ago. It has been the biggest help (not knowing anything about breeders/health clearances/ ethical breeding practices). I have learned an incredible amount so I wanted to thank all of you who take the time to answer people's questions with well-thought out and detailed responses.

so I excitedly started to research breeders somewhat near us and reached out to a few. Many were very nice and replied within a couple of days even if it was just to let me know that were are no planned litters until late in the year or early next year. I appreciated this considering breeders must be bombarded with emails right now. Some I reached out to on Facebook on their breeder page and while my message got viewed, it didn't receive a reply. I even followed up, got viewed, and still didn't receive a reply. I put a lot of thought into my inquires and am always respectful so I was pretty disappointed :/

Anyway, the breeders with planned litters later in the year and even until next year...already have a huge interest list. And so now I am confused as to whether I should get on as many interest lists as I can and then let all breeders know when I have officially put down a deposit OR follow puppy buying etiquette and get put on one interest list at a time? I am really just trying to be as thoughtful as I can about this because I know this is a lot on breeders too but it's so discouraging to be on an interest list where you don't end up making it to the official waiting list and then having to start over.

Okay, this has gotten too long. I just wanted to vent a bit :). And also, hoping to hear some encouraging stories where some of you made it past the interest list and will be getting your puppy sooner than expected! I'd love to hear! And also, if you too just wanted to vent... I am here for that too :)

Good Lucky Everyone! We'll get through this!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I don’t know why but POC are under represented in the purebred dog world in general (I am talking about breeders and exhibitors) and Goldens specifically. There are some amazing POC in the dog world and some of our top handlers are POC. My personal experience has been that the dog world is accepting of minorities and members of LGTBQIA+ community.

Speaking from a my breeder perspective... I have placed puppies in to LGTBQIA+ homes because they were the best home. I have placed puppies in Hispanic homes again because they were the best home. I would be proud to put a puppy in a home of any ethnicity because they are a great home. That is what I am looking for, the best home for a specific puppy. I believe most of my peer breeders are similar in their dealings, in that we are looking for the best homes where the puppy will be a family member, receive appropriate care, training, exercise and be nurtured to its fullest potential for that puppy.

As far as lists, with COVID I am betting breeders are more aware and understanding of being on multiple lists right now. As long as you are honest with the breeders that you want one of their puppies and are concerned about them not having one for you so you are looking to get on other lists as a back up plan, you will probably find most breeders will be okay with that. I would be. Just make sure you communicate that you will let them know if anything changes and stick to it.

I am sorry you are disappointed and frustrated about the puppy search. There are never enough well bred puppies to meet normal demand. Currently we are seeing crazy levels of demand. I literally just had my messenger ding with a request while I was typing this. If you are patient and persistent you should be able to find what you are looking for. Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
LJack,

Thank you so much for your response! I have been visiting this forum since I started my puppy search and much of what I have learned, has come from your detailed responses to others on the forum so this means a lot coming from you!

I am happy to hear that is how you go about placing puppies in homes. It really should be about where you genuinely think your puppy will live their best life regardless of backgrounds.

As far as interests lists go, thank you for your input. I was so confused and not wanting to offend anyone. These are weird times! But I'll be sure to be as transparent as possible.

Again, thank you for your thoughtful response. It helped a lot.

·
Kristy
9,417 Posts
I am sorry you're frustrated. I hope that you've noticed that we have at least one thread on the forum now about how very hard it is this year to get a puppy. I saw an article yesterday that an animal shelter in the northeast was considering breeding puppies because they have no dogs left. There is so much demand I've seen breeders I am 'facebook' friends with in different parts of the country say they get over a dozen requests a day and can't respond to all they get.

Breeders are just people, like every other group of people, you will have some idiots in the bunch, but I have found over the years that while some breeders are, shall we say... a little 'eccentric' ;)... they are generally not ignorant and bigoted people. I hope you will push these concerns from your mind. You will find your puppy and one of the benefits will be the supprt and friendship of the breeder.

It will come, just keep working on it and be open to traveling a greater distance than you anticipated and be willing to push the time frame out. I would encourage you to be talking to more than one breeder, you'd be surprised how many times a breeding doesn't 'take' or there are only a few puppies born. It's just not always a simple process like we were led to believe as kids. Fingers crossed that you have your puppy home sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I also wanted to express how discouraged I have been feeling. We live in California and planned on getting a dog this year long before coronavirus hit.
We live in SoCal, and have been considering GRs for many years. We decided, in March of this year, that we had a 3-week window to find and get a GR puppy, or we'd need to wait another two (2) years. We found and put a deposit down on a puppy (older, 4-month, more on that below) in the first week (after visiting multiple breeders with available puppies), and took her home two (2) weeks later.

How? We went with a commercial breeder. With 20/20 hindsight, would I do it again? Probably not. We love our Kona, but what we've learned about hobby/preservation breeders has changed our perspective. But, if I were not willing to wait, and were willing to trade $$$ for "availability now", I'd consider the commercial breeder route. We got lucky. We knew just enough to be able to find a decent breeder. Not hobby-quality, but we were able to make an informed decision on our Kona based on her parents' histories.

If you have the time, find a few hobby breeders you like and get on their lists.

Anyway, the breeders with planned litters later in the year and even until next year...already have a huge interest list. And so now I am confused as to whether I should get on as many interest lists as I can and then let all breeders know when I have officially put down a deposit OR follow puppy buying etiquette and get put on one interest list at a time? I am really just trying to be as thoughtful as I can about this because I know this is a lot on breeders too but it's so discouraging to be on an interest list where you don't end up making it to the official waiting list and then having to start over.
Again, if you have the ability and time to do so, I'd support the hobby/preservation breeders. But, if time becomes an issue, it is possible to find a commercial breeder with an acceptable breeding program. That option is there, it's just I now believe a reputable hobby/preservation breeder is the better option.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just wanted to say, hang in there! you sound like you will be a great and diligent owner. Puppy search & wait lists can take so long, especially give the current situation, but I'm glad you are going this route vs giving up and going for a less than ethical breeder.
Thank you for your encouraging words! Going to definitely hang in there!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am sorry you're frustrated. I hope that you've noticed that we have at least one thread on the forum now about how very hard it is this year to get a puppy. I saw an article yesterday that an animal shelter in the northeast was considering breeding puppies because they have no dogs left. There is so much demand I've seen breeders I am 'facebook' friends with in different parts of the country say they get over a dozen requests a day and can't respond to all they get.

Breeders are just people, like every other group of people, you will have some idiots in the bunch, but I have found over the years that while some breeders are, shall we say... a little 'eccentric' ;)... they are generally not ignorant and bigoted people. I hope you will push these concerns from your mind. You will find your puppy and one of the benefits will be the supprt and friendship of the breeder.

It will come, just keep working on it and be open to traveling a greater distance than you anticipated and be willing to push the time frame out. I would encourage you to be talking to more than one breeder, you'd be surprised how many times a breeding doesn't 'take' or there are only a few puppies born. It's just not always a simple process like we were led to believe as kids. Fingers crossed that you have your puppy home sooner rather than later.
Thank you for your advice! YES, this pandemic puppy thing is very real so I sympathize with buyers and breeders during these times.
My biggest thing was whether I should get on more than one interest list. It seems from all of your replies, most breeders seem to be okay with this during these times as long as buyers are transparent so that is what I will do :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We live in SoCal, and have been considering GRs for many years. We decided, in March of this year, that we had a 3-week window to find and get a GR puppy, or we'd need to wait another two (2) years. We found and put a deposit down on a puppy (older, 4-month, more on that below) in the first week (after visiting multiple breeders with available puppies), and took her home two (2) weeks later.

How? We went with a commercial breeder. With 20/20 hindsight, would I do it again? Probably not. We love our Kona, but what we've learned about hobby/preservation breeders has changed our perspective. But, if I were not willing to wait, and were willing to trade $$$ for "availability now", I'd consider the commercial breeder route. We got lucky. We knew just enough to be able to find a decent breeder. Not hobby-quality, but we were able to make an informed decision on our Kona based on her parents' histories.

If you have the time, find a few hobby breeders you like and get on their lists.

In all of our dealings with breeders, the only color that came into question was "green". Then again, our ethnic backgrounds are not obvious (unless you know).

Again, if you have the ability and time to do so, I'd support the hobby/preservation breeders. But, if time becomes an issue, it is possible to find a commercial breeder with an acceptable breeding program. That option is there, it's just I now believe a reputable hobby/preservation breeder is the better option.
Hi! Thanks for your tips! Timing is not an issue. Ideally I am looking for a dog within the next 2 years but it seems lots of hobby breeders breed 1-2 times a year and those interest lists are huge which is why I am a bit discouraged but deciding to hang in there!
As far my mentioned in backgrounds.. I decided to edit it out of my original post because it may very well just be in my head and as I mentioned... I was hoping to be wrong :)

So glad you found your puppy and wishing you the best with that! I’ve taken your advice into consideration and will look into more hobby breeders. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
I have read the original post 3 times and see nothing of skin color or sexual persuasion- am I missing this somehow?

OP, it's almost always going to be a wait, just find a breeder you feel good about who seems to like your home and wait.. and if you want on multiple lists, ask that breeder if they can refer you to someone they feel good about so you can be sure you will get a pup from one of them...just make sure breeder knows you find their puppies best and know you'd be sacrificing that relationship for a quicker puppy.
I'm like Laura - I couldn't care any less about what color someone is or if they love someone who's not like me... I care about the puppy's home to be and life with the family whatever kind of family is best for this puppy is who I am going to send home with. Be honest and the right puppy will come your way!

·
Super Moderator
1,295 Posts
Do you have any interest in being a volunteer puppy raiser with a service dog organization? The organization I volunteer with uses Labs, Goldens, and Lab-Golden crosses. It is hard to surrender the puppy after 18 months of togetherness but you do it knowing that you're possibly making a huge difference in the life of a person with a disability. (The organization has local chapters so there are other volunteers to connect with and we have our own weekly puppy class.) By the end of the 18 months, you may find availability of Golden Retriever puppies has smoothed out or that you've come to the top of a waitlist. Maybe some breeders on here can chime in, but being a former volunteer puppy raiser might be seen as a positive indication of your commitment to a puppy.

The reason I ask is that the service dog organization I volunteer with is HQ'd in CA and is placing (at the moment) an unusually large number of puppies in CA due to the difficulties with obtaining airplane flights. I would imagine this difficulty will subside soon and at that point I'm betting more puppies will head east than stay in CA to help get regional numbers more balanced, but it's worth a shot. If interested, let me know and I'll PM you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have read the original post 3 times and see nothing of skin color or sexual persuasion- am I missing this somehow?

OP, it's almost always going to be a wait, just find a breeder you feel good about who seems to like your home and wait.. and if you want on multiple lists, ask that breeder if they can refer you to someone they feel good about so you can be sure you will get a pup from one of them...just make sure breeder knows you find their puppies best and know you'd be sacrificing that relationship for a quicker puppy.
I'm like Laura - I couldn't care any less about what color someone is or if they love someone who's not like me... I care about the puppy's home to be and life with the family whatever kind of family is best for this puppy is who I am going to send home with. Be honest and the right puppy will come your way!
Hi!
LOL, sorry for the confusion. Yes, my original post mentioned me reaching out to a few breeders through FB messenger and how my messages got viewed and ignored (which I understand considering all the messages they must get). And I would follow-up and again, it would get viewed and again ignored. So I mentioned that my mind started to wander if maybe it was because they can see through my FB pics.. that we are a family of color and maybe that didn’t sit right. But I also mentioned this was a speculation and hoped to be wrong. Of course, there were a couple who did reply so I DO NOT want to generalize. :)
But thanks for your advice.. taking it all into consideration! You have all been so helpful! I appreciate it :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you have any interest in being a volunteer puppy raiser with a service dog organization? The organization I volunteer with uses Labs, Goldens, and Lab-Golden crosses. It is hard to surrender the puppy after 18 months of togetherness but you do it knowing that you're possibly making a huge difference in the life of a person with a disability. (The organization has local chapters so there are other volunteers to connect with and we have our own weekly puppy class.) By the end of the 18 months, you may find availability of Golden Retriever puppies has smoothed out or that you've come to the top of a waitlist. Maybe some breeders on here can chime in, but being a former volunteer puppy raiser might be seen as a positive indication of your commitment to a puppy.

The reason I ask is that the service dog organization I volunteer with is HQ'd in CA and is placing (at the moment) an unusually large number of puppies in CA due to the difficulties with obtaining airplane flights. I would imagine this difficulty will subside soon and at that point I'm betting more puppies will head east than stay in CA to help get regional numbers more balanced, but it's worth a shot. If interested, let me know and I'll PM you.
I wouldn’t be opposed to do something like this. This sounds wonderful but will definitely think about it a bit more. In the meantime, I would love more info.
thank you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
OP, I can relate to how you are feeling. I'm in a similar situation, also in CA. I have a breeder I've been keeping in contact with, but if it doesn't work out, I don't know what I'll do.

Although it is discouraging, I have to believe that the breeders will be able to separate out those who had planned to add a golden to their families well before covid, vs those who suddenly decided they want a puppy now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OP, I can relate to how you are feeling. I'm in a similar situation, also in CA. I have a breeder I've been keeping in contact with, but if it doesn't work out, I don't know what I'll do.

Although it is discouraging, I have to believe that the breeders will be able to separate out those who had planned to add a golden to their families well before covid, vs those who suddenly decided they want a puppy now.
Best of luck to you! Yes, I’m hoping they’ve developed a sixth sense by now to be able to tell who is in this for the long haul and not just for this pandemic.
Keep us posted! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same exact story here on the east coast/NE. Since March I have reached out to both Lab and Golden breeders in ME, NH, MA, PA, NC and even reached out to a few local/state clubs for referrals. Fortunately, I found this forum and was able to educate myself enough to decide to avoid Ridleys Reds and Golden Sunrise Puppy barn. With my inquiries I was either ignored or told the waitlist is 20-30 people long. The one woman told me I would need to wait 3 years!! This is absurd. Don't get me wrong, I am all in favor of supporting responsible breeders, but it should not be this difficult/complicated to get a pet dog. It is not like I am looking for some exotic rare breed that is hard to come by. I do like the darker color coat goldens and contacted Adirondac, but she said sorry they have been getting 20 emails every day. It really is extremely difficult to make the "right" choice (as advised on these threads) to go with a reputable breeder and given the massively uneven ratio between supply and demand it is no wonder puppy mills/backyard breeders thrive. For what it is worth I would consider an adult golden that a breeder is no longer breeding or decided not to breed. If anyone has any recommendations, suggestions or referrals it would be very much appreciated. And thanks again for all the comments/advice on this forum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello all!

I hope you are all well. I came across this forum while searching for a puppy just a couple of months ago. It has been the biggest help (not knowing anything about breeders/health clearances/ ethical breeding practices). I have learned an incredible amount so I wanted to thank all of you who take the time to answer people's questions with well-thought out and detailed responses.

so I excitedly started to research breeders somewhat near us and reached out to a few. Many were very nice and replied within a couple of days even if it was just to let me know that were are no planned litters until late in the year or early next year. I appreciated this considering breeders must be bombarded with emails right now. Some I reached out to on Facebook on their breeder page and while my message got viewed, it didn't receive a reply. I even followed up, got viewed, and still didn't receive a reply. I put a lot of thought into my inquires and am always respectful so I was pretty disappointed :/

Okay, this has gotten too long. I just wanted to vent a bit :). And also, hoping to hear some encouraging stories where some of you made it past the interest list and will be getting your puppy sooner than expected! I'd love to hear! And also, if you too just wanted to vent... I am here for that too :)

Good Lucky Everyone! We'll get through this!
I understand your frustration. We have had two Goldens from reputable breeders over the years and at the time it wasn’t so difficult as it is now. Everyone wants a pup. We just lost our sweet Golden to cancer at the age of 8 and are in search of another one. I too have agonized over the waiting list thing and having multiple deposits everywhere. It gets expensive for sure. From my experience it is worth the wait and if you find a highly rated breeder who does all the right things, it is worth the wait.

·
Registered
1 Posts

1 - 20 of 36 Posts