Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
-Sam from California
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I went to the vet & got his hematoma drained & even with the antibiotics its still there, after about a week. I'm thinking I should take another step.. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
13,732 Posts
I think I would definitely call your vet - hematomas can take a while to go away but if you feel uneasy, you should call

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I think you should ALWAYS trust your gut instincts when it comes to your dogs, and you should take another step, whatever that might be? Another trip to the vet? A different vet? Not sure what to suggest, but trust yourself and pursue it further.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Was the hematoma just drained or did they run a test on the blood to see if there were any anomilities (sp)?
Not to alarm you but Lilli also had a hematoma on her ear and my vet knowing what a worrier I am went ahead and aspriated it, thank God, came back a MCT Stage 2. It was taken off and she has been clear and free since 07.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
MCT = mast cell tumor ?

Was the hematoma just drained or did they run a test on the blood to see if there were any anomilities (sp)?
Not to alarm you but Lilli also had a hematoma on her ear and my vet knowing what a worrier I am went ahead and aspriated it, thank God, came back a MCT Stage 2. It was taken off and she has been clear and free since 07.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yes MCT is a mast cell tumor

·
Premium Member
Lush, Mystic, Hiphop, Dreamer, Sayer, Fable, Magic, Chelsea, Chapin, Cambridge, and Velvet
16,453 Posts
What exactly does the hematoma look like? Is it identical to a Mast Cell Tumor?

·
Registered
631 Posts
In my case, yes..it felt like and was a small soft pocket of blood under the skin. Similar to when we get a blood blister, sorry the only way I can explain it..Any other time we would have said a hematoma and let it ride, but that nagging feeling was there. He drew blood and saw irregular cells and did a biospy right then.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
We had a GSD with a bad hematoma and they drained it once...did not work. They put a tub in it as a drain for a few days. Messy but workd. His ear was floppy from that point on but Goldens are floppy anyway.

I go witht he gut.

They might be able to place a drain/tub in it for a few days and see how that goes. But warning, it's messy. We had our guy in a room lined with plastic on the walls...when he shook his head - blood went all over the place. But in the end the hematoma drained and healed.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Maggie had surgery to drain a hematoma on her ear, it filled somewhat again before it was completely healed so the vet was able to squeeze the blood out. He wrapped it long-ways, hoping to keep enough pressure on the ear not allowing it to fill again...it did. Long story short, it never did go completely away. You really couldn't tell to look at her but I could feel it.

·
-Sam from California
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys. I think I'll call the vet.. His hematoma is on his chest, & they drained it to check to see if it was infected in the microscope but it wasn't. I'm just surprised its still there. It feels like a soft pocket & movable. the dr said it wasn't a tumor but I'm wondering why it keeps coming back.. I even took his harness off & put a regular collar just to see if it was affecting him. But i'll give you guys an update though. I appreciate the feed back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts