Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had given Maggie a nice bath and was tidying up her feet on the grooming table. I always put the noose around her neck but not really tight because she stays really well. I was using thinning shears and she lowered her head right when I was in the act of closing the scissors. I didn't realize anything had happened until blood started dripping onto the table. I had clipped the lower portion of her nostril. I felt terrible! My husband grabbed a few rags and we applied pressure to try and stop the bleeding. I called my vet but it was 6:02 and they closed at 6! I called the emergency vet and she walked us through a few things on the phone. About 15 minutes into it the bleeding had almost stopped. She felt we could wait until the next day but to call her back if the bleeding started again. I took Maggie to the vet yesterday and he stitched her up really nice and she probably won't even have a scar.
I feel like the worst person ever to have hurt her like that. I learned two very valuable lessons though. 1. Tighten the noose up so she cannot get her nose where I am using scissors! 2. Those scissors are incredibly sharp!
Jules

·
Kate
20,728 Posts
My Danny had a "forked tongue" because I accidentally snipped the end of his tongue when trimming his toe fur. Happened on a Saturday night. <= My dad (!) rushed us to the ER because all the blood coming out made it look worse than it actually was.

Stuff happens. No long term harm done!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Danny had a "forked tongue" because I accidentally snipped the end of his tongue when trimming his toe fur. Happened on a Saturday night. <= My dad (!) rushed us to the ER because all the blood coming out made it look worse than it actually was.

Stuff happens. No long term harm done!
Thanks Kate. Makes me feel a little better to know that I am not alone. This is the worst that has happened to her and it seemed like such a simple task. I have a new respect for shears!!

Jules

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I accidentally "stabbed" Kaizer in the side with a pair of scissors. It wasn't deep and, to this day, I have no idea how it happened - it was his shoulder area and I don't use scissors anywhere near that area! I didn't even realize until he was walking around and there were spots of blood all over my carpet.

There are a LOT of blood and I have a picture, but it's kinda gory. I cleaned him up with the help of a vet friend (this happened at like 11pm at night) and he was fine. The amount of blood made it look scarier than it actually was!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I accidentally "stabbed" Kaizer in the side with a pair of scissors. It wasn't deep and, to this day, I have no idea how it happened - it was his shoulder area and I don't use scissors anywhere near that area! I didn't even realize until he was walking around and there were spots of blood all over my carpet.

There are a LOT of blood and I have a picture, but it's kinda gory. I cleaned him up with the help of a vet friend (this happened at like 11pm at night) and he was fine. The amount of blood made it look scarier than it actually was!
I agree with the amount of blood. Especially vascular areas like the head, it is so scary!
Jules

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
No way you are alone! I have cut (besides myself of course) ears, lips and tails. Never a nose but same difference. When they move as you are closing the scissor, it sometimes happens. I cut my own finger the other day doing B's ear- it kept opening up for about two weeks. BLOOD EVERYWHERE! And the shears are awfully sharp. I know you feel badly about it but it happens.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No way you are alone! I have cut (besides myself of course) ears, lips and tails. Never a nose but same difference. When they move as you are closing the scissor, it sometimes happens. I cut my own finger the other day doing B's ear- it kept opening up for about two weeks. BLOOD EVERYWHERE! And the shears are awfully sharp. I know you feel badly about it but it happens.
Thanks and I appreciate hearing other's stories. Makes me feel a bit better! Not only did I feel terrible, I felt really stupid for such a preventable accident :(
Jules

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I agree with the amount of blood. Especially vascular areas like the head, it is so scary!
Jules
It is scary for sure! I was worried about potential infection, and then of course if Kaizer would be nervous every time I had to use the scissors. Neither of those things happened. His wound healed in about a week.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is scary for sure! I was worried about potential infection, and then of course if Kaizer would be nervous every time I had to use the scissors. Neither of those things happened. His wound healed in about a week.
I know what you mean. Maggie is on an antibiotic. I took her down to the grooming table and put her on it, brushed her and gave her lots of treats. She was great!
Jules

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I nicked my Abby's ear once -- thankfully just a tad -- and cut myself twice recently trying to learn how to use thinning shears. Abby's ear bled and I felt terrible. Amazingly, she acted like it never happened the next time I pulled the scissors out. I'm glad Maggie won't have a scar. It does make you feel bad!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I nicked my Abby's ear once -- thankfully just a tad -- and cut myself twice recently trying to learn how to use thinning shears. Abby's ear bled and I felt terrible. Amazingly, she acted like it never happened the next time I pulled the scissors out. I'm glad Maggie won't have a scar. It does make you feel bad!
Thanks Diane. I clearly need more careful practice with thinning shears!
Jules

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Please don't feel bad. I've sliced a dog's lip once (just slightly) and a paw once (again, only slightly,) but it took awhile for the dog to forgive me. I've tangled a Dremel up into my hair more than a few times. I'm a regular Lucille Ball when it comes to grooming

·
Registered
458 Posts
Don't beat yourself up over it. I am a professional groomer and we have a saying: any groomer who hasn't ever cut a dog is either lying or hasn't been grooming very long! I remember my first one though-was grooming a miniature Schnauzer, trimming around the edges of his ears. He suddenly decided to shake his head right as I was snipping. It wasn't a bad cut-didn't even require stitches-but man oh man did it bleed! I was bawling and the vet (I groomed at a vet clinic-comes in handy for things like this!) kept reassuring me that it really isn't that bad and ears bleed like crazy. I've cut a few other dogs since then-I still struggle not to cry when it happens-but when you are working with a live animal who can move unpredictably its just bound to happen now and again no matter how careful you are.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Tikiandme and Goldens & Friesians. I think I had better not even try the dremel! Ears are scary to me also. I think Maggie may have to be a bit shaggy while I build up my courage again!

Jules

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
Sorry that happened.
Like jeffscott947 mentions above, it hasn't happened to me yet. Other than clipping nails too close to the quick (I use a Dremel now) a couple times and causing them to bleed I haven't had any major accidents. I felt horrible about doing something that minor.

As careful as we try to be, it's bound to happen I suppose. Some of my friends who breed and show, and even the person I take classes from time to time have told me about some scary grooming accidents... it happens to the pro's.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Otter. Jeff Scott, That was the first thing we tried on the phone with the vet. The location of the cut made it worse because she licked at it even harder then.
Jules

1 - 20 of 28 Posts