Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
gone
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were doing his nails today and got the quick, ......... oh there was soooo much blood. We got the stipik out but it just wouldn't stop, called the vet and got in within the hour. $18.00 later he was all done and bleeding stopped. That is it,,, we will never be doing his nails again, he'll be visiting the vet and having his nails done there.

How often do you do your Golden's nails?

Oh, and we got him weighed while there, 65lbs and 9 months old, she (the vet) said he's perfect. She thought he was a little heavy last time she saw him and suggested cutting back on his food a bit. I also, mentioned that I wanted to wait until after Bayne was a year old for his neutering and she completely agreed. She acknowledged all the new information coming out on the cons of early neutering and sees the merit in waiting. For spaying though she said that early spay for females is still highly recommended. Whew,,, so glad I didn't have to stay my ground.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I would try getting him used to the Dremel when he is due for his next nail clipping. I am glad he is alright. I do Beamer's nails weekly with the Dremel.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think we'll just stick with the vet doing his nails, the dremel makes me just as nervous as the clippers do.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
It's taken me 30 years to get over quicking our first Golden. I think I've figured out a fool proof way to do it. Having said that: our vet charges $9....my ace in the hole!;)

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I hate doing nails, Maggie (RIP) didn't mind much, I'd sit in the sun so I could see the quick. Hank on the other hand, HATES having his nails done. Luckily, he runs around out doors enough to keep them short.

·
Kate
21,201 Posts
I do my guy's nails every other month. Depends on how long they look. His nails are all black so I would not see his quick anyway.

And when I trim I do it from an angle and only nip the tips to keep from clipping down too much. That way, if I nick the quick it shouldn't bleed too much.

I used to have the vet do the nails, but realized it stressed him out too much and they did a really cwappy job. Made the nails sharp, raggedy, and some of the nails would be bleeding.

·
Kimberley, Bella's Mum!
1,002 Posts
OOOOH! I hate doing nails too! I don't mind so much the regular nails, which I use the Dremel (hate clippers!), but the dew claws- ugh! Can't get to them with the Dremel, and my girl also hates clippers. Think maybe I'll have the vet do those!

Part of me wishes my breeder was a dew claw remover believer, but she's not. She believes they are important parts of the animal -- hunt, agility, whatever.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
OOOOH! I hate doing nails too! I don't mind so much the regular nails, which I use the Dremel (hate clippers!), but the dew claws- ugh! Can't get to them with the Dremel, and my girl also hates clippers. Think maybe I'll have the vet do those!

Part of me wishes my breeder was a dew claw remover believer, but she's not. She believes they are important parts of the animal -- hunt, agility, whatever.
I can easily do the dewclaws with the dremel. I never saw that as a problem.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Poor Bayne - so glad the vet was able to help.

We pretty much have the vet do Belle's nails every other month. I have quicked her one or twice and was able to get it to stop myself, but felt so guilty. Some of her nails I cannot see the quick and just don't trust myself. If one is VERY long and I can see the quick VERY good I will risk it.....but it has to be an easy one and Belle hates it so I can really only get one done.

We tried breaking in the dremel and she hates the sound. I even showed her that I did it on myself and she just could not get used to the sound, vibration, etc.....and to be honest I think she could feel my lack of confidence in myself and that may have scared her also.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have the PediPaws, got it for the cats but they don't like the buzzing noise, so we did try it on Bayne but it's a lot weaker than a dremel and it stops while trying to do the nails.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Ozzy has black nails so I'm afraid to do it. We walk him alot so they don't get long but I had the vet do it last time. He doesn't realy mind having them done. I might see if a local groomer will do it for me when it needs to be done.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I get Maya's done at Petsmart every few weeks--trim and grind for about $10--sometimes I stumble upon a coupon as well. We pop in there a few times a month to shop, and are also there for training classes, so I haven't even had to schedule an appointment--they usually do walk in's and it only takes a few minutes.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Nails

We have Tonka and Tucker's nails done at the vets or the grooming appt., which is every 3 months. We probably get them done every 3 months and when we are walking them almost every night, that is sufficent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts