Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we adopted Duffy, he weighed 10 lbs. Two weeks later, he weighs 15 pounds. He is almost 10 weeks old. I have read that fast weight gain (and too much weight) is bad for the joints.

Duffy is ALWAYS hungry, but I am afraid of the weight gain....

Should he be eating large breed puppy food or should I feed him adult dog food?

Do you think that he weighs too much or has gained too much?

I feed him 3X a day, probably about a cup at a time.

Help!

Thanks,
Kris

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
Hi there, Puppies do an enormous amount of growing, and 15 lbs for 10 weeks sounds good to me. He should definitely eat puppy food. We transition to large breed puppy food at 12 weeks, and stay on it until 6 or 7 months. 3/4 of a cup 4x a day is what Tango needed at 10 weeks; 3/4 of a cup 3x a day is what Tally ate. What you are feeding- a cup 3x a day, sounds very reasonable.

·
est.1989
4,374 Posts
I always wonder when new puppy people come on asking just such questions. What has your breeder recommended?

I send home specific instructions in my puppy packets. Then still have some folks asking exactly what I have spelled out :doh: I guess maybe I should set aside a question period at my open house, with a quiz at the end :p:

Sorry all joking aside, perhaps you don't have a breeder who is guiding you. There is a huge amount of info in the puppy threads. Best of Luck to you.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank weighed 20 lbs at 10 weeks. He's almost 5 mos and weighs probably little over 40 lbs. (we weighed him 2 weeks ago, 40 lbs) He eats Innova LBP 3 cups/day. He's not fat or over sized for his age. He looks like a healthy, active, 5 month old, male puppy.

It sounds like you're feeding the right amount. Cup for cup, an adult food has more calories than puppy food and the large breed puppy having the least. Example of the brand I use... Innova Adult - 468 kcal/cup, Large Breed Puppy - 367 kcal/cup., Regular Puppy - 454 kcal/cup. What ever you decided to feed, check the calorie count and adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Murphy was 15lbs at 10 weeks, he's now 12 weeks and 21lbs. The vet says he's doing great and he's at a great weight, so I don't think your pup is doing bad at all. They just grow quickly, and there's nothing you can do about it. However, I would love to keep my little cuddly puppy that size forever!!

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
In my house,puppies are,directly,put on adult food and grow to be normal size for their breed!.
You want a pup to grow,slowly and being,slightly,underweight,is not a bad thing,for the bones!.
If unsure,I would ask the vet cos pups grow at different rates and they,usually put a lot of weight fast,in the 1st,6mths and then,slow down!.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I always wonder when new puppy people come on asking just such questions. What has your breeder recommended?
My breeder told us to use Purina One puppy chow and feed him once in the morning and once at dinner. He said about a 1/2 to 3/4 cup per feeding.

Then Duffy always seemed hungry so I read on the puppy food bag that puppies should be fed as MUCH AS THEY WOULD EAT at each meal. I thought WHAT? Of course, the more I would look up, the more confused I would become.

So that's why I came on here to ask what everyone else is doing or has done. I've actually asked a lot of questions here and most of the time have been reassured that my gut instincts are on target.

But it is so nice to have this group with the vast experience behind them and to be able to pump for information.

I hope I'm not being offensive. This is my very first golden and I want to do what's best for him. When I see so many pics and hear so much love for goldens from the people on this forum, I just know I'm asking the right bunch!

Thanks,
Kris & Duff

PS - my next question is going to be what adult food should I transition to. Since my breeder recommended Purina One and I don't really think that's the best brand out there, I respectfully disagree!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts