Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple of questions just to gauge general trends amongst fellow golden owners.
What are your daily feeding routines? Times, amounts etc....

My boy Ralphie is given two large meals a day. Early morning about 620am, and late evening around 9pm.
His meals consist of 90% chicken (meat, bones, head, feet.... the lot) and 5% lightly boiled vegetables and a 5% a simple carb (rice, noodles, potato).
He's 2yr old red golden, 40kg, tall and lean.
Each meal is a big bowl full. I judge amount by eye and counting chicken parts. One meal is typically 2 chicken legs, 2 feet, 2 wings, 1 head +neck, a carcas with most meat removed and sometimes chicken liver and heart.

Ps: I live in Vietnam so meat from the local market is very cheap.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I don't know if this helps but... I feed a commercial raw product (meat, organs, bones and veggies ground up and formed into patties). My dogs are a 4 year old unneutered, laid-back, male and an 8 year old spayed (and fairly energetic) female. Both are around 60lbs (27-30 kilos?). I feed one to one and a half patties per meal, twice a day to each dog. Each patty is about 8 ounces (so they're getting about a pound to a pound and a half a day - or about 1-1.2 kilos a day per dog. They also get probably 1/2 cup or so of kibble a day (mostly as training treats or in food toys), and probably the equivalent of 1/4 cup in biscuits and other treats (not sure what the most convenient conversion that would be for you, but you can probably estimate. In fact, double check all my conversion numbers if they don't sound right to you).

The dogs get fed around 6:00 AM and 7:00 PM.

That said... the best gauge of whether or not you are feeding enough is the weight of your particular dog. Just because mine maintain a healthy weight on what I feed them, yours may need more or less, depending on metabolism and exercise, among other things. I judge my dogs' weight by whether they have a noticeable waist and "tuck up." I also like to not see their ribs, but to be able to feel them without pressing (very light padding of fat over the ribs).

If your dog seems healthy and at a good weight on what you are feeding, and if you feel confident that what you are feeding is balanced, I'd say he's probably fine...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts