Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just read part of ian Dunbar's puppy book. In it he recommends not feeding the pup standard meals, but allowing pup to "work" for his food. (putting it in a kong, training for food, not treats) I like this theory.

However every other puppy book I have read says you should feed them on a rigid schedule to get their potty's on a schedule too. And that puppies like a routine.

Has anybody tried this? Does it work? THoughts? Comments?

BTW...7 more days before Piper comes home! :):):):):)

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
I've read those things too, but in my opinion the best way is always somewhere in the middle. I've noticed that Tess isn't as interested in her lunch as in her breakfast and dinner, so I make sure that those two are more or less at 6, and her lunch is the more fun part, where I put some kibble in a Kong ball. She likes to push it around and eats her lunch at the same time. I haven't noticed any logics in her potty, by the way. She whines when she has to go, and the first week I just took her out every half hour anyway, so most of the time we were outside (not all...)

·
Registered
278 Posts
The training for food can work extremely well. You do have to stick with it though, and not feed in a bowl sometimes and by hand at others. I have found this method to really accelerate the training process. Everyone has their own opinions. I would wait to do the training with food until 4 months, but once again just my opinion.

Also along with Kongs, treat ball work extremely well. That is if you are ok cleaning up what the pup missed. Anything to get the brain working is great at this age!

Good Luck, my training starts in less then a week with my little on........I might loose this time :)

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I've read those things too, but in my opinion the best way is always somewhere in the middle. I've noticed that Tess isn't as interested in her lunch as in her breakfast and dinner, so I make sure that those two are more or less at 6, and her lunch is the more fun part, where I put some kibble in a Kong ball. She likes to push it around and eats her lunch at the same time. I haven't noticed any logics in her potty, by the way. She whines when she has to go, and the first week I just took her out every half hour anyway, so most of the time we were outside (not all...)

I do food in crate in the morning..
Food in puzzles for lunch - puppy in a gated area where she can really push and play with the toys....
Food out of the crate puppy on leash (until they learn not to pester big dogs)

Raleigh eats Fromm kibble and 2 large Kongs will hold 3/4 cup of kibble (I wet the kibble-put it int he kong then freeze over night) It takes her about 1.5 hours to eat her lunch...)
Premier makes a dumbell shaped food puzzle that works nicely.
Buster cubes make a racket! They are sooo loud...
Tricky Treat balls are much more quiet, but they can be chewed so you have ot supervise with them.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but Duffy must sit and stay while we put his food bowl on the floor. He waits until we give him the "OK" and then he runs to eat! He is very good about staying although he is so anxious to get to the food.

He is 13 weeks old and we started this training from the first day we had him at 8 weeks.

Kris

·
Registered
120 Posts
We also used feeding to train 'sit and wait' from day 1. (So she worked for her food by having to wait until we said 'ok'.) It worked really well and she will always wait to eat and stay out of your way while you get it ready. She also never grabs for treats or food from your hand, and I think the training to wait for the 'ok' command to eat helped encourage that good behavior.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but Duffy must sit and stay while we put his food bowl on the floor. He waits until we give him the "OK" and then he runs to eat! He is very good about staying although he is so anxious to get to the food.

He is 13 weeks old and we started this training from the first day we had him at 8 weeks.

Kris
We do this with Hank as well.

As for putting his meals into kongs, or giving meals as training treats, I really don't have time to mess with that 3 (when we brought him home, now 2 times a day.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I would add one more command - "watch me". We have three Goldens. When I am preparing their food, I will talk to them. For example, "okay, I am gonna fill Gracie's bowl first". Then I will have an interaction with Gracie - "Gracie are you hungry?" I say whatever comes natural like you would your own children.

After the food is prepared, I make a decision who gets their bowl first and I will say that - "Okay, Mellie - come with me, good girl (as she follows)." Then I have her sit, stay, and "watch me" before she can begin to eat. The point is, I am making it interactive, I am showing them I am their leader, I have that connection with the eyes, and while I do this with one dog, the other two are watching and waiting for their turn. It is consistent with every meal. They really understand what I am saying - and they know to look to me for direction. This is a great opportunity to establish who is in charge and to communicate with them. I've done this from the time they each came home with us as puppies and now that they are older, we are seeing excellent behavior.

I wish I had done this with our other dogs - I think "watch me" is the most important command they can learn.

Hope that helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts