Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently feed my dog Skoki, but am wondering if it is okay to use the canned grocery store dog foods as a food topping. I like to mix wet food with her dry, but cans of "high quality" food are just so pricey. There is an aversion to grocery store food, but since she would be getting less than a can of it a day, would it actually even affect her?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
You should be able to find better food for a reasonable price. I wouldn't feed them.

Reactions: Melfice

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
My breeder feeds raw eggs, but my guy prefers them cooked (with a little loss in nutrition due to the cooking). I'm not sure about the tuna- perhaps someone else can answer that one, or you could google it?

·
KCGold
1,757 Posts
We give our Golden's a spoonful of plain Greek yogurt and a spoonful of low fat cottage cheese...they think they are getting pure T bone steak. We mix this in with their kibble with a tablespoon of warm water. They jump up and down now at meal time and eat like pigs....gobble gobble... They have been more energitic, fur thicker and shiny, and less allergies as the kibble we feed in grain free....

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
My boy loves yoghurt so that could be an option for you. I fed him tuna once and he vomited straight after!.

·
Noreaster
2,077 Posts
I wouldn't give canned tuna regularly--mercury is a concern in human consumption of tuna, so I don't eat it myself more than a few times a year.

I'm going to try the Greek yogurt idea, though...my dogs are dairy junkies!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,061 Posts
I also use plain yogurt as a topper. I feed raw eggs to my guys once a week. They prefer raw to cooked.

You may want to try canned sardines (in water) as opposed to salmon or tuna. Typically they are much less expensive and yet nutritious.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I treat my boys with frozen green beans, baby carrots, fresh blueberries, and cleaned and peeled apple pieces. Apples and strawberries are considered dirty fruits due to the pesticides used to grow them, so those items are given rarely.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I mashed a raw egg shell and all in her food and she loved it! Same with the cottage cheese, of course. I need to buy some Greek yogurt next... I'll skip the tuna if it caused tummy upset--Swishywagga that's good to know, and Noreaster the mercury level is a good point as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts