Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all- I am currently feeding my 12 lb Golden who was born mid-December Purina Pro Plan for Puppies (not the large breed). This is what my breeder recommended and she recommended feeding him 1/4 cup 3 times/day. I trust her advice but he always seems hungry. Is this a common amount to feed a pup?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Sounds about right to me! Pup's and Golden's in general are frequently 'grub hounds' are always hungry and never seem to get enough, so get used to that! You can tell if they are getting enough food by how they look. If you can see the ribs, the need more food. If they looks to thin, at the hips also, then need more food. But, it sounds like you are doing well. Also, when you go to your vet, ask him/her...they will be honest and generally know what is best for your pup...

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,584 Posts
Seems severely under-fed, to me. You could double that amount or even triple it as Megora suggests. I've had an awful lot of 12-week old puppies, and a total of 3/4 cup of food for the day wouldn't have cut it with any of them. I suggest you double it immediately, give that amount a week or two, and then try adding another 1/4 cup per meal.

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
My girl was 9 weeks old when we got her. She ate a total of 2 cups a day.
She went up a bit to 2.5-3 cups around 6 months but at 13 months is back to her 2 cups per day.

·
Super Moderator
213 Posts
I would assume, given the feed chart, that you could up the food to at least a full cup per day for sure. I would not make a huge sudden increase though, it might upset her stomach and potty training habits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts