Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 4 Goldens, I believe all Goldens have unsashable appetites. If you leave an open bag of food on the floor a Golden will do its best to eat it all. I had to weigh my puppies every couple of days to make sure her weight was within a range. My goal was slow growth to adult at 58 -62 pounds. She started at 3 meals a day and transitioned to 2 a day - 0500 and 1600 due to my work schedule. My current Golden is still on that schedule at 11.5 years young. I have not seen a Golden leisurely eat. Food is attacked as if it is not consumed immediately, it will disappear.
Do any of you have interesting stories about feeding your puppies?

·
Registered
501 Posts
My girl isn't a big eater... yet anyway.
She is 6.5 months old, eats 2 cups a day and had 2treats (broken into pieces for training ? and two Kongs with a little peanut butter. I'm guessing for a total day of 2.5 cups.
She isn't a big fan of breakfast so I put her food down around 2 pm and it is gone about 6 pm. So I would say she is a late lunch and supper girl.
We have tried 3 types of food and she is the same with all .
However if you try to eat with her out side of her crate, she is a wild animal and can jump high and yesterday I witnessed her actually walk on her back legs. Lol.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My boy is not a big eater at all. I struggle to get him to eat his food. There’s nothing wrong with him, he’s just picky.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
I hate to pile on... but my girl is also not the typical retriever. She never asks for breakfast. I get up, take her out, then I go for a run, shower, make my breakfast (all while she has long gone back to sleep)... it can be another 2 to 4 hours (depending on my run) before I offer her breakfast, and she is never in the kitchen looking for it. She will slooowly get off the couch when I start to get her bowls and food and sometimes will stop to look out the window before she comes into the kitchen to eat.

Dinner, however - she never misses, and will never let me miss. Regardless of what time she eats breakfast - 8am or 10am or noon - around 4 or 5pm, she starts to let me know she would be happy to have dinner anytime now. But if she literally ate breakfast 4 or 5 hours earlier, I can easily make her wait. She is not at all an obnoxious, demanding dog when it comes to food.

·
Registered
60 Posts
After 4 Goldens, I believe all Goldens have unsashable appetites. If you leave an open bag of food on the floor a Golden will do its best to eat it all. I had to weigh my puppies every couple of days to make sure her weight was within a range. My goal was slow growth to adult at 58 -62 pounds. She started at 3 meals a day and transitioned to 2 a day - 0500 and 1600 due to my work schedule. My current Golden is still on that schedule at 11.5 years young. I have not seen a Golden leisurely eat. Food is attacked as if it is not consumed immediately, it will disappear.
Do any of you have interesting stories about feeding your puppies?
I really don't have an interesting feeding story but just wondering what type of food are you feeding. Kibbles, what brand, raw what brand, etc. I too have a Golden who will eat morning afternoon evening, all day! She is 3 years, trying to keep her weight under control. But its not working out to well! lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts