Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
lukin
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 9 month old, I'm feed 3 cups innova adult, 3TIMES a day. would you suggest going to twice a day.
Thanks

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I switched my boys to twice a day feedings at 6 months. The amount you are feeding sound very high to me but every dog is different. Make sure you can see a waist from above and can easily feel ribs.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Are you saying....1 cup three times aday? Or 3 cups three times a day for a total of 9 cups? I assume you mean that your pup is fed three cups a day total.

I went to two feedings at about 7 months.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I hope when I need to cut out that mid day feeding Hank is ready as well. Now he reminds me if I'm running late!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would cut out that lunch feeding and go to 1 cup twice a day for a total of 2 cups a day. And if he gets alittle hungry you can add some goodies like unsalted green beans to fill him up.

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
You can drop the lunch feeding. If he looks good keep him at the same amount. So that would be 1 1/2 cup for the first feeding and 1 1/2 cup for the second. Amounts vary in each dog. You really need to know what they should look like at their ideal weight. You need to adjust their food according to their weight. They will also need more or less during different times of the year or different growth spirts. My dogs burn off a lot more in the summer due to swimming everyday. My pups sometimes eat like a growing teenager. My two older girls never ate the same amount. One looked perfect at 2 cups a day while the other needed 3. I don't care for the recommendations on the food bags. My brother-in-law refuses to lower his dogs diet because the bag says to feed her more. The dog is 20 lbs overweight. He just says she is a big girl. I tell him she is a big girl but she should not be that big. So give them what they need but always step back and make sure they look fit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts