Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 months old puppy she is very sweet and not very active. She is about 67 lbs now and I think it's a bit on the obese side. To control her weight, I am thinking about switching her food from puppy food (for large breed) to weight management food like "Proplan For Overweight And Less Active Adult Dogs" Do you think it's a good idea to feed her with weight management food?

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I wouldn't. I would simply feed her less of whatever food is currently working for her. The extra bulk in a "low cal" food is simply wasted space and weight, so you pay more for the same amount of calories.

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
My Cody was on Iams weight managment and did just fine. However I would recommend more exercise. A 10 month old is usually bouncing from the walls lol!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Cody was on Iams weight managment and did just fine. However I would recommend more exercise. A 10 month old is usually bouncing from the walls lol!
She has her moments and bounce from the walls at times :doh: but in comparison with other GRs I met at park, she is on the inactive side. I am hoping weight control food would help me to keep her weight down a bit. I have been feeding her the regular puppy food with less than the suggested amount but I just have no heart to see her looks always hungry...

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
How many cups are you feeding her per day now? You can cut back a little and replace it with unsalted green beans so she still feels full. But I agree that more exercise is the answer rather than diet food. She is still growing and needs the nutrients in regular food that may be missing in diet.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the Weight Management Formula; a Golden I adopted in September was about 10 pounds overweight and on that food. I transitioned him over to the ProPlan Sensitive Skin & Stomach formula that my other dogs eat, and he is slowly losing some of his excess weight. He still has about 7.5 pounds to go, but he's doing well.

If your girl is 10 months and still eating puppy food, I would go ahead and transition her to a regular adult kibble first. If you're looking at the ProPlan line, you could try their Chicken & Rice or Lamb & Rice kibble (avoid the Shredded Blend). Or simply the adult formula of the brand she's on now. The main thing is to use controlled portions, and if you use the feeding guidelines on the bag, feed at the lower end of the recommended amount.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I have a 10 months old puppy she is very sweet and not very active. She is about 67 lbs now and I think it's a bit on the obese side. To control her weight, I am thinking about switching her food from puppy food (for large breed) to weight management food like "Proplan For Overweight And Less Active Adult Dogs" Do you think it's a good idea to feed her with weight management food?
I'm guessing she could be switched over to regular adult food. You might check with the Purina people--they can give you the calorie comparison. You can also cut back on how much you're giving her. But the best thing would be to get her moving more. I've seen numerous posts on here about thyroid problems causing lazy overweight dogs. You might want to have your vet check her out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was going to wait until she reaches 1 year old before I switch her food to adult. I may switch it as soon as she finish off the current bag then. The adult food has less calories?

I anticipate less exercise:( for the next few months because it's winter.... brrr....

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I was going to wait until she reaches 1 year old before I switch her food to adult. I may switch it as soon as she finish off the current bag then. The adult food has less calories?

I anticipate less exercise:( for the next few months because it's winter.... brrr....
I'm pretty sure the adult food will have fewer calories...you should check it out. I asked Purina the calories in the puppy food and got a prompt answer. They have a Facebook page and you can ask questions there. If you decide to switch her over, be sure to get a bag soon and mix them up for a while, gradually increasing the new food until that's all your'e giving her.

Also, there was a funny and informative thread on here very recently about exercising dogs in the winter. There were a lot of good suggestions and things I never would have thought of. I'll see if I can find it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts