Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bailey Boy~ Best Friend
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bello is 5 months, and at the last day of puppy class along with a few other pups were fitted with a gentle leader, reviewed/trained and given some time to consider whether it might be something we may be interested in.

So...Bello did well at class, and the first day, since however it is quickly turning into a battle to get it on-treats, shaping, etc. None is helping. Yes it does help help be available for more training and certainly not pull at the times when he does. He does.

My thought is if it's turning into a battle, why persist with at at this time? I love the response he had initially. Am not liking where his reponses are now. Would almost rather increase everything else as far as training goes and not "fight" over it at this time....I'll call my trainer too-Was just curious of others opinions.....

·
Registered
203 Posts
My boy is 10.5 months now, we have used the Halti (another head halter) since he was about 2.5 months old. He drags his head sometimes when it is on to try and rub it off but never fights it going on. When he walks with it he responds well it is just when we are relaxed he tries to rub it. We also rarely use it anymore because he has been behaving better. Could maybe a different design head halter be more comfortable and easier to get on?

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
They work great. Penny always hated hers and did try to avoid getting it put on. The first time it was on her she was leaping, rearing, twisting in mid air...you'd have thought I had a tiger by the tail. :(

Once it was on, she spent the entire walk with the side of her face on the ground, her hind quarters up in the air pushing...trying to scrape it off.

When we were out in public, I got a lot of comments about how I shouldn't have a dog 'like that' out in public if it has to wear a muzzle. I kept emphasizing that Opra uses it on all her dogs...it was like educating the whole world one person at a time.:mad:

We quit. That was almost 10 years ago. You can read my post on 'focus and heeling' in the training section. We're still working on pulling. :(

·
Pippa and Watson’s mom
611 Posts
I used to use the gentle leader with my former Golden. I started when he pulled me to the ground chasing a bicyclist that came around the corner really fast :doh:. But in 14 years, he never really got used to it and sulked whenever he wore it.

And we tried it on Pippa a few times, but she hates it so much that she will actually dive under the kitchen table to avoid it, despite treats. So we've been focusing on loose-leash walking with treats and a choke collar (which I only use for training; it's a regular buckle collar otherwise), and she's been doing very well. I'm beginning to think that if it ain't broken, why "fix" it? The gentle leader is great and certainly works well. But if your dog is willing to behave properly without it, why use it?

Reactions: baileyboym22
1 - 5 of 5 Posts