Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do puppies get fed up?

i am only asking because the last day or so otis the mutt has been looking a bit despondent.

he still likes a play but seems to get bored rather quickly and plonks himself in the same room as the cats.

if i put him on the bed with them or he can stand up and see them his tail goes 13 to the dozen.

but in the other room he will have a few minutes of great play then let out a big sigh and flump down.

i took him out to a friends house and he enjoyed himself tho.

i am thinking that he has had a taste of the garden at my friends and my MIL's and he is looking out of the window and whining.

so perhaps he just wants to go out and play.

his second jabs are due tomorrow and i will ask the vet when he can safely go out.

his energy seems boundless and he is always up for a roll around the floor but fetching his ball and toys has become so boring for him.

also he is not eating his full meals. i am not too concerned tho as he eats most of it but leaves a little each time.
i will just down on his treats, plus i think he is stealing some of the cats kibble as well lol.

if he miaows i will know for sure.

he loves his carrots and will munch on that all day day long. also his puppy kong takes a battering if i stuff it for him.

i am hoping when i can take him out for a proper romp he will get hungrier and not as bored or fed up.

i dont want him thinking i am a boring dad.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I wouldnt worry, Shankly was exactly the same, his attention span was a matter of minutes, its just a puppy thing they want to try everything and dont concetrate very well.. He would play with a chew toy for about 5 minutes then want to go outside and play in the soil.. The only thing that really kept his attention was a tug rope, but then only when we had the other end as soon as he got it off us he would drop itand walk away...

He also still dosnt do fetch he chaces after it then takes it to the other side of the garden and chews it and dosnt bring it back we have to go get it...

We where told 10 days after the injections but other people we know where told 7 so not really sure what to believe we stuck to the 10 just to be on the safe side..

Shanks is now just starting to learn to entertain himself and he got his first bone now hes 4 months at the weekend and Sunday night when we gave it too him it was like we didnt have a puppy..! He ran out in the garden with it and sat there ans chewed it for about 3 hours, I couldnt get near him i went to stroke him he picked it up wagged his tail and ran away.. I had to bribe him with food to get it off him at dinner...!!!

One piece of advice for eating I would give is swap his food around Shanks gets bored of the same thing after a few days then only picks at it.. We have 3 flavours now, Chicken Lamb & Turkey and he eats all his dinner 3 times a day every day..!!!

(Oh and Shankly was named after Bill Shankly sorry didnt get chance to reply to the thread the other day then I lost it, not my idea but the Jo's shes the Liverpool fan not myself)

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
When Noah was really little we would get 20 minutes of play and hours of sleep. He's growing, maybe checking out the cats and bonding with them. They do tend to sleep lots when they are little guys.

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
re his food. i am feeding royal canin maxi junior and it only comes in one flavour.
do you think i should buy another product as weel or would it upset his system?
i was told to stick to the one food while he is a baby.

he has no appetite issues i think i have been too generous with treats and stuff,and since he isnt out and about he isnt burning off calories and getting an appetite.

·
Registered
130 Posts
re his food. i am feeding royal canin maxi junior and it only comes in one flavour.
do you think i should buy another product as weel or would it upset his system?
i was told to stick to the one food while he is a baby.

he has no appetite issues i think i have been too generous with treats and stuff,and since he isnt out and about he isnt burning off calories and getting an appetite.
I was told exactly the same thing keep him on the same food then change him slowly. We fed Shanks on Science plan then as he really started to become picky around 11 weeks. I picked up a freebee from Pets @ Home of there own brand Lamb Puppy and I mixed a little bit in with his chicken and he ate the lot. I think the key is not to give him too much at first and mix it so he gets used to it, but eventually you will have to change his food as he gets older so we bit the bullett and changed brands and flavours (not to mention the science plan is really expensive).. We now feed him on Puratein (sp.) Puppy and Science plan. His normal food didnt have a major impact on his digestive system especially considering what he was eating in the garden..

If hes having his injections tomorrow keep a close eye over the weekend Shanks had a touch of colitious and the runs for a few days after it and we where back at the vets within days I was really worried but the vet put it down to worming and the injections.

·
Registered
211 Posts
As everyone else as said you needn't worry. They are so much like small children it is crazy and they get bored easily. Molly still gets in weird moods where she just seems lost and doesn't know what to do with herself. As for the lack of eating, how about trying to cut down on the treats. I know that is hard since they are so darn cute. I read once that you should take into account how many treats you give when figuring out the quantity of food at meal time.

·
Registered
130 Posts
As everyone else as said you needn't worry. They are so much like small children it is crazy and they get bored easily. Molly still gets in weird moods where she just seems lost and doesn't know what to do with herself. As for the lack of eating, how about trying to cut down on the treats. I know that is hard since they are so darn cute. I read once that you should take into account how many treats you give when figuring out the quantity of food at meal time.
Very true alot of the warnings are on the packets about over feeding them.. The worst seems to be the Kong Paste thats so high in calories, I didnt realise at first and now only give it to him if we are out for a long time and limit his lunch a little bit...

Try training treats, Pedegriee Chum do them over in the UK and they are about a £1 a pack from Tesco's they are quiet small and low in calories so it shouldnt fill him up but they do the trick..

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
he seems absolutely fine now lol. playing fetch with a mad vigour.
i think i am a worrywort lol.

what would i be like with real kids?????

always at the doctors i suppose.

thanks for the reassurance guys.

re food: i had planned on keeping him on the royal canin to be honest. go up to the breed specific golden andult when he was around 15 - 16 months.

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
There's nothing wrong with being a worry wart. I can't tell you how many times I've called my husband at work to ask if something Max has done is normal. Love the man, he's very patient about it.
Like the others said about treats - there are lots of tiny things you can get that he'll probably love but won't add up to a ton of food. Max likes Nature's Recipe training treats, and right now I have no idea what he's got because he has more treats than we have food in the pantry! (Or so the hubby says).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts