Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well February is here. In our parts of the world is it still a snow, rain muddy mess.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,542 Posts
In this part of the world the ice is still about 16" thick and water work is still quite a ways off. If we don't get dumped on too heavily by the storm tomorrow, the snow may be off the fields by the end of the month. Then we can get back out and train again.

·
Premium Member
4,525 Posts
We're pretty happy that we haven't had a heavy snow winter. Cold and windy, but I can dress for that. Saw gray in the sky this morning at 8 am. The sun is finally rising before 9:30 am. Yesterday I drove home from work at 4:30 and the sun was still up! What a nice thing to see the sun. Sunrise 9:20 Sunset 5:10 today! We made it through another Alaska winter.

·
Premium Member
4,525 Posts
Riot is coming along nicely. We're working on heeling either side and doubles. He's super sweet. Not bitey at all. Which is super nice. His recall off leash is excellent, let's hope I can retain that!

Lucy I've been concentrating on obedience. Her remote down is nice. I've signed her up for grad novice and novice B next month. We'll see if she does well.

Reactions: gdgli

·
Super Moderator
3,902 Posts
Snow again. Difficult to train the past month---I worked for two weeks, very cold weather, blizzard, new truck not set up yet, friend in hospice, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,525 Posts
George how much snow do you have on the ground?

·
Premium Member
4,525 Posts
I don't like the heavy wet snow. We normally get only powder - the super light fluffy stuff. For us 1" of rain = 20" snow. When I lived in Seattle, I think it was 1" of rain = 3" of snow. Vivian and Holly, correct me if I remember wrong on that Seattle figure...

The weather here has been awful. Not much snow. Just cold and wind. The valley where I train on the weekends mainly is a super windy place. They normally have howling winds, cold weather and no snow (because it blows away). The photo is in the valley in Palmer. Nice fields though. The ground is super frozen very deep. Without snow to insulate the ground, the frost gets driven many feet deep.

Riot has 2 cousins up here to train with now. They are 2 Hawk pups. One is about 7 months and one is only about 8 weeks. So we'll see how the 3 of us do. I don't know if all 3 will be ready for derbies this summer. I know one Hawk pup will be. I hope to have Riot in the derbies, if nothing else but for fun. With only 10 or 12 pups showing up for a derby here, to have 3 goldens in a derby is quite a surprise. Rarely do we ever see 2 goldens in a derby here. We only have 6 derbies in Alaska, with 2 in Fairbanks.

So now the steadiness work begins. Last weekend I could stand 15' away from Riot and he stayed without a problem until I called him. It was quite a shock that I could get that far away without a problem. He is such a good pup. All 15 weeks of him. I bought some of the soft foam bumpers that Dokken makes. I hope they can get him through the teething period. He of course enjoys lots of marks.

Attachments

·
aka Shelby
1,576 Posts
oh gosh I can't even imagine training up in AK. I know that down here, it doesn't really snow (though we got a dusting the other week) but its so cold and windy at training. We will be out to train at 8 am and the temps are in the 20s with biting wind. torture!! Nice that the afternoons warm up to the 40's and low 50's. It warmed up a bit but now very cold again.

so what to do, what to do????

GO TO FLORIDA!!!

So this past week, just got home, me and Proofers headed down south to train with Anney and a couple other talented am's. It was so much fun and so HOT! I couldn't believe how hot it was!

I got there on Sunday and within the hour we were already out on the ponds. I was so happy as Proof hasn't had much water lately. Not for a month, so this was such a great opportunity. The ponds that Anney has to train on are out of this world. We trained mainly on one tech pond and didn't even wear out that pond, we could have set up more and more set ups!!

The first day we started out with some cheat marks but Proof didn't cheat one bit. Then we threw some on a dike and proof had an issue as he over did it and didn't hunt the bank. So glad that happened, I could work on it all week which we did.

The next day we did water singles and a tight land double then a blind through the hay bales. Tuesday morning on a different field a couple land singles and Wednesday lots and lots of cheating water singles and long entries with birds landing on the bank. Worked so hard on that. Also did a poison blind and a cheating drill.

The dogs worked hard and played harder. And I would say the same for us humans. Anney's dog, Bally, is amazing. It is so neat to see a dog with such good looks running hard and doing such a great job on such technical set ups. I don't think I've ever seen a dog like this in my life. Proof loves her doggies. Its nice that they can play together. Not to mention Proof adores her. She shows him all these fun tricks with treats and he can't get enough.

The next time I go down there, though, I'm buying stock at Chuys! We ate there three times. the Margaritas and chips are the best after being in the sun all day. Man, what a great time. I feel like a teenager again, we can be so silly! ha ha.

Anyway, what fun. Proof looked at me this morning, like we aren't doing anything today? ha ha. Now its back to training in the cold...boo hoo!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I don't know, I am losing training time. I was hoping to run Thor in Derby but I haven't been out to train for 4 weeks.
And more snow coming this week! I hope to see your pup at Pinelands this year.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We tried to beat the up-coming snow on Monday. Fields are soaking wet, impossible to get any training done. So in order to get the girls out we drove 3 hours yesterday to a Super Singles event. It was a fun day. Rose won the intermediate stakes. Most importantly I got the girls out and got to meet other field people as well.

·
Premium Member
4,525 Posts
It's cold and windy here. Yesterday in class it was 20 degrees and 30 mph winds. Riot didn't care. In the valley they don't have snow that sticks, it just blows past. We have snow in Anchorage, but we don't get the high winds the valley does. So here is Riot yesterday. http://youtu.be/QyCTKh1h3vA

·
the party's crashing us
4,236 Posts
We had about 10 straight days of big training including when MoP came to visit, and the past few days have been on a training hiatus to recoup!! Shelby gave me LOTS of good ideas and techniques to mull over and incorporate. Proof is pretty spectacular for a year old dog, we had a LOT of fun!!!!
This week is supposed to be COLD and WINDY, our hunt tests are this weekend and the next, so we're getting the hunt test group together this week to do setups. Bally is running test dog for master both weekends.
My training partner Bill JAM'd the derby this weekend at the North Florida trial, his dog turned one year old that day too. Pretty cool :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
This week is supposed to be COLD and WINDY,
Ahhh, welcome to everyone else's weather! :p: (Yes, I am very jealous of the water work you guys do this time of year!)

My training partner Bill JAM'd the derby this weekend at the North Florida trial, his dog turned one year old that day too. Pretty cool :)
That's awesome...there are some BIG derbies in Florida this time of year.

·
With Her 3 Goldens
181 Posts
I don't know, I am losing training time. I was hoping to run Thor in Derby but I haven't been out to train for 4 weeks.
I feel your pain. We're at almost 3 weeks of no training and just got more snow. Fingers crossed the second half of February and March will have mild weather so that the early spring tests aren't a complete wash....

1 - 20 of 50 Posts