Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Remy does seem to be going through another fear period and this time it's certain loud noises... particularly cars and trucks driving by when we are on our walks. First of all, we live on a busy street so we hear cars all day long and he's never been afraid. On our walks (we have to walk by two busy roads) he has never had an issue. Now when a car drives by he cowers... and if it's a bus or a loud truck he jumps to the end of his leash and cries while trying to run off. I don't want to scare him but we have to walk everyday (he is so energetic!) and there is literally no other way to go. Today I had him sit with me on the sidewalk on the side of the road and I petted him acting excited every time a car drove by. "WOW, REMY! LOOK AT THAT ONE!" "OOOO, A BIG TRUCK! SO COOL!" I'm sure passerby's thought I was a nut. :doh::D He seemed to calm down a bit but spent a good 5 minutes with his head buried in my stomach, refusing to look at the road and obviously scared.

So my question is... do you guys have any ideas on how to get him over this? And when this fear period end will he just go back to not being afraid of it anymore or do we need to really work through this? I can't think of any time that a car/truck/etc got too close and scared him.. this is pretty random!

·
Phoebe's Dad
99 Posts
Phoebe had the same issue (especially with buses) We just kept taking her for walks and never made a big deal when a car drove by. She gradually started getting used to the sounds and noise and now is pretty much used to it. :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
He'll just get used to them after awhile. I am not sure if getting exited about cars as you mentioned is a good idea. He might get to like them too much and that is dangerous. but I'm no expert :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts