Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone here uses this.

FDA recalls dog food over salmonella and listeria concerns

The FDA is issuing a serious warning for dog owners.
The federal agency is asking consumers to throw out certain kinds of raw dog food because it has tested positive for salmonella and listeria monocytogenes.
The recall is for Performance Dog frozen raw pet food.
The FDA is cautioning about all Performance Dog frozen raw pet food produced on or after July 22 because there are no lot codes printed on retail packaging. If you have any Performance Dog product that you purchased after July 22, throw it away.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,530 Posts
I get notifications from the FDA on all pet food and treat recalls. I read about this a couple days ago. I have heard of A Lot of dog foods and have never heard of this company before the recall. These small companies like this don't surprise me that they have recalls, especially with frozen raw foods. The small companies just don't have the ability to do the testing needed to screen for pathogens properly.

I've heard of some that rely on the FDA inspections to test for issues and recall if needed. 95% of the pet food recalls are always these small regional food manufacturers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Looking at the thread about pet food recalls, I noticed that several foods were recalled because of high levels of Vitamin D. While most vitamins are water soluble and excess amounts are flushed from the body, Vitamins A, K, D, and E are fat soluble and excess amounts are not flushed from the body, but rather stored, which can lead to toxicity in dogs and people. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Looking at the thread about pet food recalls, I noticed that several foods were recalled because of high levels of Vitamin D.
That's a good observation. The vitamin D trend seems to impact dry foods. It makes sense, conversely, that bacterial contaminants are the main cause for action in raw foods.

The info from Maggie's voice that smaller manufacturers rely on FDA inspections is truly scary - inspections are infrequent and it's wild that a manufacturer would not want to detect issues before they ship product for sale. Recall costs a lot more than routine inspection, and can damage a brand's reputation beyond measure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts