Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Wonderful...I just checked the ones I bought the other day, (Dogswell Happy Hips). Yep, made in China. :doh: Something else to worry about...

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I only buy things like that made and raised in the USA. Too much comes from Thailand , Bolivia, China, etc. I stopped buying foreign meet products for my dogs when the last package I bought said "irradiated for safety."

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I just had a discussion with Toby's vet about how so many ingredients in dog kibble and commercially prepared treats are manufactured in foreign countries and then shipped here for final processing into the kibble.

Many of the ingredients for the vitamins we humans take come from China BTW.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I am very picky with what I give my dogs, and it is amazing how many bags of treats I pass up because of the label.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Well, Chance got very sick the day after I gave him the jerky. Horrible, horrible diarrhea. Never again...:no:

Of course, Lucy was fine as always. ;)

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I just had a discussion with Toby's vet about how so many ingredients in dog kibble and commercially prepared treats are manufactured in foreign countries and then shipped here for final processing into the kibble.

Many of the ingredients for the vitamins we humans take come from China BTW.
So the label on human vitamins: "Carefully Manufactured by ____USA" doesn't really mean anything, because they could get the raw ingredients from a foreign source and then manufacture and distribute the product in the USA?

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a NEW (December 28, 2011) article on MSNBC which reports that the FDA is now saying that 353 dogs have gotten sick or died from eating Chinese chicken treats this year. The link is: Vitals - Chicken jerky treats sicken 353 dogs, owners report

Personally, I think the number of dogs sick this year is well over one thousand from the number of websites I've visited where I have seen dogs that are ill or that have died being discussed. I am almost certain it is something the Chinese are feeding the poultry used for their treats.

Did you know, according to Wikipedia and a New York Times article, that the Chinese fed Melamine to livestock? Melamine, as you may know, was the non-listed ingredient responsible for the pet food recall a few years ago. If you haven't, you should search for "Melamine" on Wikipedia and read the article.

Melamine is a principal ingredient in making Formica countertops and causes kidney failure if eaten. The Chinese were also caught putting Melamine into kids' milk and infant formula.

The only truly safe treat is one that you make yourself or that you buy from a company you trust. We make and sell our own chicken jerky, TriPom Chews, and only buy from other "Mom & Pop" sized treat makers that we have met or spoke with.

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
That's awful, I'm so sorry

What possible reason could they have for putting melamine in any food?

·
Dexter's Mom aka Kristin
625 Posts
"Thankfully" my boy is allergic to chicken, but he does get duck jerky every once in a while.. I hope nothing comes out about that..

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I think duck jerky might be from another country as well... Check the label...l

·
Dexter's Mom aka Kristin
625 Posts
will do. i don't give it often. don't have any, but i have to read labels for chicken anyway, so i'll check!

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Does anybody know what brands or what specific product they are talking about? There are a lot of chicken treats out there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts