Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced today a plan to address concerns regarding the supply of Merial’s Immiticide (melarsomine dihydrochloride), a product used to treat heartworm infection in dogs.

View article...

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I'm glad to hear it too, but it's not enough. :( The last HW positive dog that came into our rescue was scary. They had to get immiticide from 4 different vets in order to treat her. I don't know what will happen with the next one.

I know that I will ALWAYS give HW meds all year round. It's just not worth the risk no matter where you live, IMO.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Our vet has some being shipped to them next week,...

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I'm glad to hear it too, but it's not enough. :( The last HW positive dog that came into our rescue was scary. They had to get immiticide from 4 different vets in order to treat her. I don't know what will happen with the next one.

I know that I will ALWAYS give HW meds all year round. It's just not worth the risk no matter where you live, IMO.
That is frightening, especially in the South because so many of the dogs coming into shelters from the streets test positive for HW disease. It's not uncommon for golden rescues here in TX to treat 50 or more dogs annually for HWs before they can be adopted to families.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts