Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a heavy heart ...
... our Lucy has joined Jake, on top of the hill overlooking the lake.

Oh how special she was:
* though she earned 9 Derby points, her enthusiasm cost her as just many points ... she saw no reason to wait until the birds hit the ground before going.
* in the Qual in which she became Qualified All Age, she stopped TWICE to roll on a bird ... but she was so far ahead of the other dogs, she still earned second place.
* nonetheless, despite her tendency to do things her way, our girl Lucy broke the 22 year drought and became the 13th Golden Female in breed history to earn the titles of Field Champion and Amateur Field Champion.

And though she accomplished much in the field, she was also the mother of ten puppies and, the most important job she held, was a therapy dog at the children's hospital. This wild-in-the-field dog turned into a truly special consoler of children with needs ... she stopped a baby's incessant crying by a gentle nuzzle, a patient who hadn't reacted to stimuli in 2 weeks opened her eyes when her mother placed her hand on Lucy, and children who were reluctant to get out of bed and walk would do so when they were given the opportunity to take Lucy's lead and walk her down the hospital hallway ... Lu knew what to do, ... somehow, some way ... she just knew.

Lucy, we miss you ....

Andy

[I know that this belongs in, and will be moved to, the Rainbow Bridge Forum, because she was an FC AFC, I wanted to put it here, where the field folks will have the opportunity to see it.]

·
Registered
412 Posts
I haven't hunted in many many years, but I can read into your story that this was a very special dog. What a fine K-9 ambassador she was too!

It's also a very proper tribute to put it here. Somewhere across the rainbow bridge, a happy girl is waiting, wagging her tail... bird in mouth. I bet she's saying "Dang, and I thought the LAST long retrieve was LONG!" :)

Hope that her tale is told many many more times. It's a good story. And I wish you peace, when the grieving is done.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So sorry for your loss Andy. She sounds like such a wonderful dog. I hope our Sadie can follow in her footsteps as a therapy dog.
Thank you!
Indeed, Lucy was a wonderful dog.
Good luck with Sadie ... being a therapy dog, whether for children or the elderly is a high calling ... far higher than bringing back birds.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
So very sorry for your loss of such a wonderful girl. Thanks for giving her the chance to show how special she was.

·
Kristy
9,291 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's hard to decide who was luckier, you for being blessed with such an amazing Golden or her for being blessed with such an amazing home. She sounds like an 'everything' dog but you were the one who got her out in the world to be all she could be. My heart goes out to you.

·
Registered
12,652 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. It is the hardest part about having these wonderful dogs in our lives.

·
Premium Member
4,511 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear of both Jake and Lucy passing. They were amazing and you were amazing for working with them and getting 2 dogs to FC-AFC titles. As an amateur with a full time job and a family, Andy I have no idea how you got 2 dogs all the way to those titles, that is a huge accomplishment. Jake and Lucy's genes are now firmly established in many field pedigrees. I'm looking forward to seeing what their offspring will do.

·
aka Shelby
1,574 Posts
I have often thought that too, Stacey, it amazes me that Andy got those titles on both of them with his lifestyle. Truly a high honor. I'm glad I got to meet old spunky Lucy. She was hilarious when I was petting Jake and she'd decided it was her time now, thank you very much! ha! Such a special lady she was. I'm glad her and Jake are together again.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
So sorry for your loss! I have thought of her many times and more so after Jake's passing. I cannot imagine the heartache.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts