Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most all of us are stuck at home for awhile, or when we come home from a stressful work situation deserve a treat, I thought it might be fun to post favorite recipes. I would emphasize desserts, but that is just me! Let's have some fun with this!

·
5,051 Posts
Here's one of our favorites, especially since pork tenderloin goes on sale for $2.99 a lb. This can be baked in the oven, cooked on the grill (med heat) or done on the stove in a pan with a little oil and sliced onion for pan browning and extra flavor. Serves 3 very hungry people with leftovers for 2 the next day!

BEST Baked Pork Tenderloin
Crispy on the outside, juicy and tender on the inside, and amazing flavors make this the BEST baked pork tenderloin!

Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 4
Author Tiffany
Ingredients

1 or 2 1/2 pound pork tenderloins (see note)
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoons fresh lemon, lime, or orange juice
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika (smoked optional but highly recommended)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Instructions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease a large baking/casserole dish. Pierce tenderloins all over with a fork. Rub oil onto all sides of the meat.
Whisk together Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, chili powder, paprika (if using) and black pepper. Sprinkle mixture over tenderloin(s), patting it onto the surface of the meat on all sides.
Place in prepared baking dish and drizzle lemon/lime juice over the top.
Bake for 25-35 minutes until outside is browned and crispy and centers are cooked through to desired doneness (you can take them out on the early side if you like the centers a little pink).
Spoon juices from the dish over the meat. Allow to rest on a cutting board or in the baking dish for 5-10 minutes. Slice into 1 inch pieces.
Spoon any remaining juices from the pan over the slices, garnish with fresh chopped cilantro if desired, and serve.

Recipe Notes
This recipe is pretty flexible and you can use 1-2 very small pork tenderloins, or one medium-large pork tenderloin OR you can double or even triple the ingredients for the seasonings
and serve a LOT of people with very large tenderloins.

·
5,051 Posts
How about making cookies and decorating them for spring! We love these any time of the year. (Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix is a good one too.)

Cookie Monster’s Famous Cookie Dough Recipe
What you’ll need:
3/4 cup unsalted butter or margarine softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs slightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking flour
1 teaspoon salt
Equipment:
Fork
Medium-sized mixing bowl
Measuring cup and spoon
Directions
  1. Put 3/4 cup of butter or margarine (that’s a stick and a half) into your mixing bowl.
  2. Measure 1 cup of sugar.
  3. Pour sugar over butter.
  4. With fork, squash butter and sugar together until they are blended.
  5. Crack shells of two eggs and pour eggs over mixture in bowl.
  6. Measure 1 teaspoon vanilla and pour over mixture.
  7. With fork, blend everything in the bowl together.
  8. Measure 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour and pour over mixture in bowl.
  9. Measure 1 teaspoon baking powder and sprinkle over flour.
  10. Measure 1 teaspoon of salt and sprinkle over flour and baking powder.
  11. Mix everything together either with the fork or with your hands.
  12. Put dough in icebox to chill (at least one hour)
After chilling the dough, roll it out to 1/4" thick. Cut with your favorite cookie cutter. Place on a prepared cookie sheet, lined with parchment paper, or a baking mat. Bake at 400°F for about 10-12 minutes.

If you'd like, you can sprinkle colored sugar on the cookies before baking, or decorate with frosting after cooled.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I just made this family favorite. You could cut it in half for a couple people, or freeze it.

Southwest chicken
2 15 ounce cans of corn drained (in a strainer)
2 15 ounce cans black beans rinsed and drained
10-12 ounces salsa or more
1 to 1.5 Tablespoon taco seasoning or more
2 or 3 boneless chicken breasts
Tortillas, shredded cheese, sour cream
Enchilada sauce canned mild or medium

Mix taco seasoning with the salsa. Stir corn and beans and add a half cup of salsa mix and put in crock pot. Put chicken on top and cover it with the rest of salsa mix. Cook on high 3 to 3.5 hours or low for 7-8 hours. Take the chicken out and use two forks to shred it up and then put it back in the crock pot. Stir it up and cook another 20 minutes. Eat in tortillas with cheese, lettuce, sour cream or make enchiladas by wrapping it in tortillas placing them in a pan and pouring red enchilada sauce on top and baking 30-40 minutes. Cover with cheese about 5 to 10 minutes before it's done (cheddar or mexican blend). Serve with sour cream. Can freeze leftovers

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Our current favorite dessert is to buy Wymans Triple Berries (freezer section) and make a sauce with just a little water maybe a tablespoon or two and a little sugar cooked for 10-15 minutes. Cool slightly and pour on vanilla ice cream. I also use the berries to make a berry crumble by adding oatmeal, brown sugar, and butter to the top. I haven't found a recipe I like with exact amounts of each and some are better than others but we pig out on them all.

·
Super Moderator
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about making cookies and decorating them for spring! We love these any time of the year. (Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix is a good one too.)
View attachment 871162

View attachment 871163

Cookie Monster’s Famous Cookie Dough Recipe
What you’ll need:
3/4 cup unsalted butter or margarine softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs slightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking flour
1 teaspoon salt
Equipment:
Fork
Medium-sized mixing bowl
Measuring cup and spoon
Directions
  1. Put 3/4 cup of butter or margarine (that’s a stick and a half) into your mixing bowl.
  2. Measure 1 cup of sugar.
  3. Pour sugar over butter.
  4. With fork, squash butter and sugar together until they are blended.
  5. Crack shells of two eggs and pour eggs over mixture in bowl.
  6. Measure 1 teaspoon vanilla and pour over mixture.
  7. With fork, blend everything in the bowl together.
  8. Measure 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour and pour over mixture in bowl.
  9. Measure 1 teaspoon baking powder and sprinkle over flour.
  10. Measure 1 teaspoon of salt and sprinkle over flour and baking powder.
  11. Mix everything together either with the fork or with your hands.
  12. Put dough in icebox to chill (at least one hour)
After chilling the dough, roll it out to 1/4" thick. Cut with your favorite cookie cutter. Place on a prepared cookie sheet, lined with parchment paper, or a baking mat. Bake at 400°F for about 10-12 minutes.

If you'd like, you can sprinkle colored sugar on the cookies before baking, or decorate with frosting after cooled.
I did not know that COOKIE was giving away his recipe! Fantastic!

·
Registered
17,546 Posts
Me neither, all the recipes look great!

Here's my all time favourite recipe for Tiramisu, it's absolutely lush!

TIRAMISU

Ingredients

500 grammes Mascarpone Cheese
2 large eggs (separated)
2 ounces Caster Sugar
2 packets of sponge fingers
1/2 pint strong black sugar)
3 teaspoons each of coffee and sugar), plus a good 'slug' of Brandy or Rum!.

Method

1. Make up coffee, allow to go cool in a shallow bowl.

2. Whisk egg whites, add a little of the sugar and whisk until stiff.

3. Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl until mixture turns pale.
Whisk in Mascarpone cheese, followed by the egg whites.

4. Dip sponge fingers quickly in coffee and arrange half of them in a single layer
in the bottom of a serving dish. Cover with half of the Mascarpone mixture.
Repeat the process with another layer of dipped fingers and top layer of Mascarpone mix.
Leave in fridge for several hours (overnight).

5. Before serving seive a generous amount of cocoa powder all over the top.

·
5,051 Posts
This was the only cookie recipe we used in the 70's (seems like only yesterday), the kiddies loved to help make Cookie Monster cookies!

Easy Icing Recipe.

Sugar Cookie Frosting
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted (375g)
3-4 Tablespoons milk
2 Tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Gel food coloring optional
Additional candies and sprinkles for decorating optional

Combine sugar, 2 Tablespoons of milk, corn syrup, and vanilla extract in a medium-sized bowl and stir until combined. If frosting is too thick, add more milk, about a teaspoon at a time, until the frosting is thick but pipeable. If you accidentally add too much milk, add powdered sugar until desired texture is reached.
If coloring the frosting, divide into bowls and color as desired at this point.
Transfer frosting to a piping bag with a piping tip (I used Wilton 5), or place in a Ziploc bag and snip a small piece of the corner off (not as neat, but this will still work,
just take care that the frosting isn’t so thick that it breaks open the seam of the bag when you are squeezing).
Pipe frosting on cookies and decorate with decorative candies, if desired.
Allow frosting to harden before enjoying (this took several hours for me and may vary for you depending on the consistency of your frosting)
Keep uneaten cookies sealed in an airtight container at room temperature.

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
Here is my Nonna Josie’s NY Cheesecake recipe. I’ve had this recipe for about 40 years now. It was handed down from my husbands “Nonna Josie” who is actually a family friend who “adopted” my husbands family. My husband was 4 years old when his family immigrated to the US from Italy and an elderly neighbor Josie became a surrogate mother figure to his mom and grandmother to him and his brothers. She was a very sweet, kind and loving person and we think of her every time we make her cheesecake recipe.

It takes a long time (we all seem to have too much time on our hands now anyway) and CANNOT be rushed but is definitely worth it.

• Combine 1 1/2 cups of crushed cookies (I like gingersnaps), 2 tbl sugar, 1/4 cup of melted butter. Mix well and press in greased springform pan. Refrigerate until ready to use.
  • soften 2, 8 oz packages of cream cheese in mixer.
  • add 1 cup of sugar and mix well.
  • beat 5 egg yolks and add to above. Beat until light.
  • add 1 pint of sour cream, 1 tsp of vanilla & 1 tsp of lemon juice. Mix well
  • beat 5 egg whites till stiff. Fold into cheese mixture. Turn into pan.
  • Bake in 300 degree oven for 1 hour 15 minutes.
  • Turn oven off leaving cake in for 1 hour 15 minutes.
  • Open door and leave cake in for 30 minutes.
  • Cool completely & refrigerate w/pan until ready to serve.
Your can serve with fruit topping but I just sift some confectioners sugar on top. Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
806 Posts
My mom used to make a lovely "tacorito" recipe for me when I would come home for college on break :)

1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups water
4 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic salt
1lb ground beef
1lb bulk pork sausage
1/4 cup chopped onion (she used yellow)
1 cup refried beans
8 (8inch) flour tortillas, warmed
3 cups of shredded Monterey jack cheese (mom always used more cheese and I like sharp so there was always more sharp cheddar)

1. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth, gradually add water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for one minute, or until thickened. Stir in chili powder and garlic salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the beef, sausage, and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in refried beans, heat through.
3. Spread 1/4 cup sauce in a greased 13in x 9 in baking dish. Spread 1 Tbsp sauce over each tortilla; place 2/3 cup meat mixture down the center of each. Top each with a 1/4 cup of cheese. Roll up and place seam side down in a prepared dish. Pour remaining sauce over the top and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
4. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes, or until bubbly and cheese is melted.

I always added sour cream on the side, but you can top with whatever you want :)

·
Registered
17,546 Posts
I am glad that folks seem to be enjoying this thread!
Some fantastic recipes so far, thanks for starting this thread Oscar's Dad, (Saint Swishywagga "Patron Saint of Sweet Indulgence")!.

·
Registered
388 Posts
when we moved up here years ago the one thing we wanted was a great kitchen which we now have. maria and I both cook and she also could be a professional baker. I use recipes sometimes and maria does more often. I don't have any handy but I do have some photos of our handy work just to make you all hungry.
:)

·
Super Moderator
1,046 Posts
Me neither, all the recipes look great!

Here's my all time favourite recipe for Tiramisu, it's absolutely lush!

TIRAMISU

Ingredients

500 grammes Mascarpone Cheese
2 large eggs (separated)
2 ounces Caster Sugar
2 packets of sponge fingers
1/2 pint strong black sugar)
3 teaspoons each of coffee and sugar), plus a good 'slug' of Brandy or Rum!.

Method

1. Make up coffee, allow to go cool in a shallow bowl.

2. Whisk egg whites, add a little of the sugar and whisk until stiff.

3. Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl until mixture turns pale.
Whisk in Mascarpone cheese, followed by the egg whites.

4. Dip sponge fingers quickly in coffee and arrange half of them in a single layer
in the bottom of a serving dish. Cover with half of the Mascarpone mixture.
Repeat the process with another layer of dipped fingers and top layer of Mascarpone mix.
Leave in fridge for several hours (overnight).

5. Before serving seive a generous amount of cocoa powder all over the top.
this sounds divine!

·
Registered
17,546 Posts
this sounds divine!
I often buy ready made desserts but I have to say that the Tirimisu recipe is easy to make and it's so delicious! (the Brandy really gives it a good kick too)!.

·
Registered
17,546 Posts
The cooking pups are so cute!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts