Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of the drills everyone likes to run?

One of my favorites is in line singles.
We usually have 5 stations marked by short step in stakes set somewhere around 40,70,100,130,160 yards set in line. We usually throw left, right, left, right, left. Dogs run marks back to back to back.
I love this drill because you can work on so many things with just one other person to throw. Steadiness, marking (both you and the dog), it lets you run short marks and stretch them out, and they have to run though old falls. It will also show you fitness level.
We try and run this drill every 2 to 3 weeks weather permitting.

What is your favorite?

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I think it depends on what we are training at the moment!!
I guess my all time favorite is Dan's "iron cross" drill, which works on casting and lining, and doesn't require a helper at all.
I, too, like the in-line singles.

·
Registered
986 Posts
There are many I enjoy. But BB Blinds (Bird Boy Blinds) is my all time favorite, especially for early Transition. Powerful drill!

EvanG

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Two-Chair Drill, ABCD Drill, and Organized Confusion Drill. These all aid in marking and recognition of depth of fall, as well as skills like running past/behind/over gun stations and old falls.

Reactions: Sunrise

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I have not gotten to do much training with my club as Jige was too little and training ended in sept. But I love in-line training. My son and I have gone out and done this many times. I have a huge field about a mile away and it has an upward slope. Jige does really well going both up the hill and down. I love working on marking with him.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Are there video clips to illustrate for those of us that are not field training, but curious and looking to understand? Your own clips, or YouTube clips?

·
the party's crashing us
4,278 Posts
KRD!!!!

key relationship drill

·
Registered
986 Posts
Are there video clips to illustrate for those of us that are not field training, but curious and looking to understand? Your own clips, or YouTube clips?
Yes. What would you like to see?

EvanG

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
That looks like a fun drill. I think since I have no snow yet that we might go out and do this this weekend well if it isnt too cold either.

·
the party's crashing us
4,278 Posts
Evan do you have your KRD diagram? I know I saw it first from you I think on RTF.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Evan do you have your KRD diagram? I know I saw it first from you I think on RTF.
Yep!

One mark. Three blinds. The teaching and general use of KRD requires a lot of description because it should be built step by step. But in general use, this can also be a fine maintenance drill, and can be run with several presentations; mix and match concept work.

EvanG

·
the party's crashing us
4,278 Posts
Thanks Evan. Several times I have met with one other person to train (people I've never trained with) and we've run KRD, it's quick to set up, quick to run, and the benefits/goals obvious. They are thrilled with both its simplicity and efficiency. Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts