Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We ate at Wendy's today on the way home from the vet. It's 2 hour trip, one way. Hardly a way to get there and back without stopping for lunch.

Anyway, we ordered off the value menu: value fries and a chicken wrap. 660 calories for the pair. I already had 150 for breakfast so I'll have to watch dinner and evening. My remaining 400 cals will go pretty fast. My apple and cheese for evening is 200. Dinner will be skimpy.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I hate when that happens!

I had a good day where I had plenty of calories after lunch and figured I'd pick up a small frosty. I was halfway through it when I logged it and found out it had 250 calories. I tossed the rest into the trash. Ugh.

Burger King isn't too bad with the Whopper Jr w/no mayo. I think it's 300 cals and if you only eat half of the french fries, that's another 150 cals. Not bad for a lunch at a fast food place.

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
ugh i hate counting calories. they make me depressed. i tried those 100 cal. snacks but who am i kidding.. they don't fill me!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I found just taking the bun off a small burger helps a lot. It's empty processed calories (white flour and ingredients I cannot pronounce).

No fries for me. We tend to eat at places that offer fruit or yogurt as a side (Cafe Express, Panera). At Cafe Express I order my burger with the chicken breast option and it is a substantial meal. I tell them to hold the bun and put it on a bed of lettuce. Then I make my own lemon olive oil and red wine vinegar with pepper dressing for the lettuce.

I like that more places are offering small bites options and are offering calorie counts. It makes it so much easier!

I used the book Eat This, Not That during my dietary lifestyle change. It explains things you would not normally think about as far as options!

·
Kate
21,678 Posts
Next time go to subway. :)
Even subway can be bad though...

If you look at their calorie thingies, you have to have a stripped down sandwich. :no:

*** I should say I never eat burgers and fries and haven't in the past 5 or 6 years at least since developing issues with "red meat". But if I eat at subway or panera, I simply make up for those calories the rest of the week. Cutting my calorie intake on those days. I also look at that meal as the main meal of the day. Which means that supper is VERY light. ;)

·
Hi, I'm Wendee
1,733 Posts
Even subway can be bad though...

If you look at their calorie thingies, you have to have a stripped down sandwich. :no:

*** I should say I never eat burgers and fries and haven't in the past 5 or 6 years at least since developing issues with "red meat". But if I eat at subway or panera, I simply make up for those calories the rest of the week. Cutting my calorie intake on those days. I also look at that meal as the main meal of the day. Which means that supper is VERY light. ;)
The two subs I like to get are the chicken breast or turkey with all the veggies on wheat bread with the olive oil blend or light mayo. The chicken breast 6 inch is 370 calories and the turkey is 330. They are also good on the flatbread. The only thing I don't get on my sandwich is cheese.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
I haven't eaten fast food in ages. When I do, I compensate for the rest of the day. I think the last time I had Burger King for lunch was when I hadn't eaten breakfast and then I didn't eat supper because my calorie count - with a cheeseburger and fries - was already at 800 some calories. Yeesh.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
The two subs I like to get are the chicken breast or turkey with all the veggies on wheat bread with the olive oil blend or light mayo. The chicken breast 6 inch is 370 calories and the turkey is 330. They are also good on the flatbread. The only thing I don't get on my sandwich is cheese.
Same here--that stuff they say is cheese is just processed pretend cheese. I get the sub on flatbread, turkey or chicken, with spinach, green pepper, red onion, lettuce and avocado (better than mayo on a sandwich any day), then a splash of red wine vinegar and a tiny amount of the fat free honey mustard dressing). The big issue I have with Subway is the sodium content on the processed meat--it's well over the daily amount I like to get, but they are working on reducing those levels.

·
Curator of the Coy Zoo
770 Posts
Threw caution and control to the wind and had a Five Guys cheeseburger and fries. YUMMY!!!! Hadn't had a burger in months and yes, it was worth the calories, or in my case the load of points!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I was going to suggest Subway, but didn't. I like the turkey and ham with no cheese, lots of veggies, dijon mustard, salt, pepper and seasonings. Usually runs under 400 calories and I am totally satisfied.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Give up the fries! Especially the coated fries. They're double trouble.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Give up the fries! Especially the coated fries. They're double trouble.
and double delicious!! :D

I like fast food for a special treat. McDonalds french fries and the yogurt (that's not really yogurt) parfait are a favorite as are Taco Bell crunchy tacos Fresca style.

My office mate eats fast food for lunch and for dinner almost every day! When it is a week before a Doc appointment and blood cholesterol testing she stops her FF addiction so her numbers (hopefully) read good! Who is she really fooling? :confused:

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Agree! We have french fries several days a week with dinner. Homemade and baked in the oven. They are delicious and much healthier.
I didn't realize just how easy they are to make too! We prefer sweet potato fries, but every once in a while I make fingerling chips!

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
My office mate eats fast food for lunch and for dinner almost every day! When it is a week before a Doc appointment and blood cholesterol testing she stops her FF addiction so her numbers (hopefully) read good! Who is she really fooling? :confused:
LOL that's like never flossing besides the day you go to the dentist.

·
Valerie
789 Posts
Fast Food calories really do add up VERY quick.

I gave up the french fries and burgers over a year ago. They are just way too unhealthy plus, they were making me fat. Not a good look on me lol.

I opt for chicken and I never get the sauce or cheese that usually comes with chicken wraps/sandwiches. Chick-Fil-A has a really good char-grilled chicken sandwich. It's served on a wheat bun (I doubt if it's 100% whole wheat though) with pickles, lettuce, and tomato. Very good and only 290 calories. Oh, and their carrot and raisin salad is my favvvvorite!! Not so much "healthy" as it's high is sugar and fat grams, but every once in a while I'll get it for a treat.

I'm also a big fan of the sweet potato fries. We bake them in the winter and in the summer I'll cube them up and grill them with onions and herbs- it's delicious!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts