Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that golden's were bred for retrieving downed waterfowl, which is what makes this even more funny.

I bought my 6mo old golden a toy that actually looks like a real duck and produces a realistic-sounding quack....and she is in love with it. She carries it everywhere....just holding it in her mouth. First thing this morning, I hear a loud QUACK and wake up to see her, with the duck in her maw, just sitting there right next to me....looking at me. She carries the thing everywhere! :roflmao:
Anyone else had their puppy take so much to a duck toy? She had many others, but she took to this one like....a duck to water. ;)

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
She sounds like a cutie....we need pictures. Chester had a stuffed duck but after his baby brother Murphy came to live here the duck was killed :-( .... many stuffies have died with two dogs playing tug of war with them.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Oh yes, the migrator duck. If you look at very many of the photos posted here, you will often see THE duck. I would say the majority of our goldens here have the duck or have had one in the past. I think it is one of those must have items if you have a golden...they simply love them.

Multipet (the manufacturer) also makes a number of different versions of the toys. I know they make a duck, a goose, a pheasant, a quail, and a pelican. Most are a short winged version, but I have seen a few with long spread wings. They also have large and small size birds. So there is quite a selection.

We have had as many as 5 different migrators around our house at any one time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Does this photo answer the question?

Holly loves her duck but we don't let her have it full time - she is a very strong chewer!

Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Max has a thing about birds. His first lovey that he took to bed at night was a rope bird. Finally once it was headless , neckless, and only consisted of one leg and it's tummy, we had to let it go. I replace it with another bird rope lovey. Sadly, that one bit the dust a few weeks ago but I was ready. I ordered 3 more online so we have 2 extras left. :)

OOh I see the lovey when it had a head still!! See it with the pink and white rope neck? It's the top left picture. Ah, Max I think still misses that lovey.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is perfect. Now you need a shotgun and some decoys and get that dog out there doing what she was bred for. ;)

We have a smiliar duck toy in our house and is the favorite. The only difference is, I will most likely train my dog to hunt and retrieve real ducks.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just purchased the same duck Holly is chewing on. It's the first toy we've given Payton that she's gone crazy with. She plays so hard with it that she keeps having to take mini naps! It's so cute!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Harley loves ducks (stuffed or real) and has since he was a puppy! He has gone through several duck stuffed animals but we always keep one around because he loves it so much!

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is perfect. Now you need a shotgun and some decoys and get that dog out there doing what she was bred for. ;)
The only problem I see with this is Holly forgets she is a golden "retriever" and thinks she is a golden "shredder." :doh:

·
They grow so fast
653 Posts
Had to go out and get Jaxson on today.. in all places I found it at a grocery store.

They sure do love them...

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I bought one for my 10 week old Maggie from the grocery store for $7.00! It is so darn cute and she absolutely loves it!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, my guy isn't so into stuffed toys, but loves his Dokken training ducks. Oddly, even though his name is Toby, he goes by the name Duck all the time. He loves ducks enough to change his own name to "Duck".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts