Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
i did the exact same research you did. came across his Facebook, her Twitter and then her Facebook. she certainly seems to be the "breeder".

my sister said they seemed like a very nice, down-to-earth family - which means exactly zilch in the grand scheme of things.

now i'm just curious if i can find out more about this dog. but she's unwilling to tell me as i think she's afraid to learn the truth.
Did you see my post above? There is no record of either dog on OFA. Which means there is 100% no elbow clearances and likely no clearances at all. The parents registered names and numbers were listed in the AKC marketplace post.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
What is done is done. Your sister will probably have a wonderful dog. Was it the best thing no. But if it is in a loving home just leave her be. We have had to backyard bred Goldens with no issues. As long as it isn't a puppymill I am sure she will have a lovely dog.

·
Registered
10,488 Posts
I would recommend to her that she purchase health insurance on him. This will help should he develop serious health issues. With neither parent having clearances, chances of him developing issues are greater than if he had a pedigree backed by dogs with hip, elbow, heart and eye clearances.

·
Registered
319 Posts
What is done is done. Your sister will probably have a wonderful dog. Was it the best thing no. But if it is in a loving home just leave her be. We have had to backyard bred Goldens with no issues. As long as it isn't a puppymill I am sure she will have a lovely dog.
From one over-protective sister to another, I tend to agree with this. Was it the best decision to go that route? Probably not. However, let her enjoy her new puppy and have so much fun being an "aunt" to the fur ball! = ) And health insurance is excellent advice! We have it on our boys and were so grateful when we were dealing with unexpected and expensive emergency surgery (bowel obstruction). I would never go without it whether the dog is a rescue or a grand champion ... because we love them all the same!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have added Wanner's Macy and Spring Grove's Sir Tuckerson James to K9data with the information I could find, so at least next time someone searches for them, they will be found. :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
after looking at local reputable breeders such as Kalm Seas, Penny Lane and Harborview i have realized these are very costly dogs with a long waitlist.

as i continued my search, i have found a few local to me family breeders that are within my budget but don't have the "cache" of the bigger breeders.

places i am looking:

Austin Wanner

Maureen Quinlan

Marian Hiemstra (Maplemoon Kennel)

any thoughts on this approach? this will be my first dog so i obviously want to find the best dog i can.

any others to recommend?
Did you ever end up getting the puppy form Maureen Quinlan? How was your experience with her?

·
Registered
4,145 Posts

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,189 Posts
Oh my. This old thread was drug up from the bottom of the sea. This is bait for me. LOL! "Family" breeder? Sounds so nice, doesn't it? Sounds positively wholesome. Who wouldn't want a pup from a "family breeder?"

I wonder what that makes me, then.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you go with a (aka) family breeder please do your research on that breeder. I often use some of the following steps (1 and 2) when doing business on purchasing anything from a small business like a car purchase or private land purchase.

1. Look to see if there are any court cases against him. A lot of countries have free court record look up on the internet. If the family breeder been in business for a while and breeding bad puppies or crooked, you might find some court cases against them. Also if you see any other civil stuff against them run...

2. Google them, if they have unhappy customers you might find comments in forums or facebook about them. If you see any other negative comments run.

3. Visit them to see their operations, if it is a run down house/trailer with dirty looking dogs run.

4. If you sense they do not have a love for Goldens, they are not a hobby breeder. run....

5. If the breeder does not offer a heath guarantee run....

6. Ask the breeder if they would take the puppy back for rehoming if needed, if not run...

7. Ask the breeder for shot records. A good breeder will take all the puppies to the vet for a check up and first shots. If they do not provide shot records. Run

8. Ask to see the papers on the parents to make sure they are not related.

9. Do some research as mention in the forum here

If you do take the risk, be sure to buy puppy heath insurance on day one. Take the puppy to the Vet the first business day after pick up to have the puppy fully examine. Even if you did buy a well breed Golden, I recommend puppy insurance and a Vet visit.

Just be very careful, bringing a puppy into your life can be very enjoyable and heart breaking when things go wrong.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I’ll just throw this out there as a Pennsylvania resident, who lives in an area concentrated in puppy mills. Every single time prior to contacting GRCA clubs I emailed or spoke to a “family breeder” it was a disguise for a puppy mill operation or an extension. And I’ll be straight up that I encountered people who admitted they “home” the dogs for a breeder. My massage therapist actually knew the animal control person for Lancaster County and they said this was the new operational way for mills to sell their dogs in a way that made people comfortable. I spoke to two people who called themselves a “family breeder” but when I asked about clearances it was either they were testing the dog after this litter & using money from the litter to test (lol what?!?! You have had 2 litters already) or they didn’t even know what I was talking about.

·
Super Moderator
3,831 Posts
My advice to you is to loosen up a little on your cost limits. Research breedings and save up for a puppy. And now for my advice on looking for a breeder: Think RESPONSIBLE BREEDER rather than POPULAR BREEDER. There is a difference.

Are you looking for a pet or a working dog?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts