Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, it's the dark, black-and-white time of the year...so I thought I'd post some colorful pix of falltime in Nome/ Alaska, ca. Sept 2008 :)

Attachments

·
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I tried to add tags (=pic captions?) to this, but not sure how <shrugs>

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Gorgeous.....and a Pudden poo on the ?heather? Great shots of a phenomenal landscape...
To post captions...just add a space between images and type :)
You do great pics, BTW

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Beautiful pictures! Alaska is beautiful country, you must never tire of what you see :)

Two questions ... there's bears there somewhere, how do you stay away from them? Do they teach you how to do that in Alaska? What kind of bears do you have there, grizzlies? Kodiak?

And ... do you have pooper scooper laws in that kind of country? LOL

When I add captions, I just type text (like I'm typing here) right above the imagine link. Can you do it that way?

·
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, we have grizzlies - when I know wildlife is near, I put the Pud on her long running leash, as she's a bit reactive. The idea is to make some noise and look ahead while hiking; bears will usually get out of your way if they hear you coming. Our tundra bears are pretty shy. Still, one of them killed a moose calf behind our house last spring...we also have wolves; I see lots of tracks (think dog paws the size of your hand), but they are shy and never cause problems. Also, we have moose, reindeer and muskoxen.

·
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not much luck with captions..when I post or edit, the pics are in a separate window and not shown in the text (I add them in the manage attachments box).

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
I have so many questions, I hope you don't mind...

So what does Alaska really think of Timothy Treadwell?

Do you carry bear spray? Would it even work? I think you're incredibly brave but I suppose Alaskans learn to be. Haha, us city folk you know :p:

·
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most of us think what Timothy Treadwell did was....well, mis-guided at the best and plain nutty at the worst, although we all can relate to his love of the wilderness.

I carry bear spray sometimes, esp. on overnight trips or long hikes. Yes, it works - there are studies that show it is very effective if used correctly (short-range, as a last-ditch defense in case of attack).

It's natural to be afraid of bears - that's part of our primordial fears as prey animals :) But dangers of bears are over-estimated. Thousands of people have bear encounters in AK every year, and there's only a handful of maulings. Each mauling is front-page news; that illustrates how rare they really are.

Statistically, you're much more likely to be bitten by another Alaskan than by a bear :)

·
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it dark there all the time now?
Nome is still ca. 100 miles south of the Arctic circle. On the shortest day of the year we have ca. 3 1/2 hours between sunrise and sunset, but another 1 1/2 hours of daylight before and after the sun is up. So a total of ca. 6 hours even on the shortest day. Then in summer...no darkness at all from ca. late May to late July :)

so...if you did a year-round count, we actually get more light than places in the lower 48 because of our long dawn and dusk

okay...couple more pics...muskox watching with Pudden (note the leash - hah. We don't want her to run off and harass the wildlife). That's Nome in the background

Attachments

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
OMG That is just beautiful! Thanks so much for the pictures. When I visited Alaska, the thing that impressed me the most was that you could drive all day, and only move half an inch on the map. LOL I also loved watching the mountain goats scaling those big cliffs. Gosh, it is just sooooo beautiful there.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
All right now stop spoiling us with all of these pictures:)
Great photo's.!!!
I'm concerned about the "Statistically, you're much more likely to be bitten by another Alaskan than by a bear" though:lol:

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Wow! Alaska is beautiful. We had neighbors move to Alaska years ago. It always amazes me that a bear was captured not far from my home.

To add captions to photos I upload my photos from photobucket. I think you can add captions using the forum's gallery, but I don't use the gallery, so I'm not much. help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts