Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, I'm new to the world of puppies since my friend gifted me little Fairouza 4 weeks ago. She's turned 3 months today. She's been very well with toilet training and had only few accidents in the house but otherwise she knows where her potty area is. Since we live on 8th floor and elevator not reliable, I arranged a place in the terrace where she can go to toilet but also have her play area. She goes to toilet exactly in the right spot and I kept reducing the size of the papers until she got down to a very small area, leaving the rest of the terrace for play and sleep and food etc.
recently I discovered that she steps on the wet newspapers on her way and soils the rest of the terrace. I worked hard to avoid this by trying to stop her for a treat and use this moment to wipe her paws quickly. But when I have to leave her alone there for short while, I come back and the terrace is full of marks from stepping on her pee and poop. It seems she really got used to this to the extent that I caught her today sleeping nearly ON THE DIRTY NEWSPAPER that I didn't have an instant to clean up immediately.
What do u suggest I do? She doesn't hold her bladder too strongly still, although much better than before, and I need her to get used to using the terrace when I'm not home since it's safer than being inside the house alone of course.
I live in Egypt and I failed to find a suitable crate solution for the small apartment and there are no pee pads that I found nearby when she first arrived, but she sleeps on a mat and soiled it only once in her early days but never again (I take her to the terrace every 2 hours on the dot). Now what do I do to not get her used to sleeping in this mess? I usually clean the balcony with best cleaners I can find, but don't wash the potty corner with that so the smell is retained , but now I'm not sure what would be the solution to avoid this :(
P.s now that electricity is interrupted 3 or more times a day, going for potty downstairs isn't an option at all... Yesterday we got stuck for a whole hour after the walk when electricity was cut and we couldn't go back upstairs in the dark!

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
We live on a 6th floor so I can totally relate. We have a small balcony where Max goes to potty in the corner as well... And we have the same issues you have. He always steps on pee and treks it inside, so our floors don't stay clean for very long. We do have a reliable elevator and now that Max is 5 months he's able to hold it longer and we've been taking him downstairs. The fact that he knows he's being taken downstairs makes him hold it longer, since he knows it's less convenient.

The only suggestion I have for you, if you can't take your pup downstairs, is to get an outdoor mat to place around her pee area. Once you catch her peeing, ask her to sit on the mat, long enough for the mat to soak up some pee, then treat. Some people train their dogs to walk in a circle on the mats as well, so you can try that too and see what works best. In my experience though... Keeping the paws clean isnt easy!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh that's a good idea although it means less space for her play but at least to keep some cleanliness and not get her used to living in the mess. Hopefully by the time she turns 5 they will have figured solution for elevator. I would hate to get stuck downstairs after a short potty trip

1 - 3 of 3 Posts