Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He was so good all day. I was working all day and he really was patient. He passed with good scores; the most common 'flaw' mentioned was needing more maturity - since he's 22 months old yup, he does have maturing to do.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
that's just wonderful! I sooo want to do that with Tito. Way to go!

·
Registered
13,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's just wonderful! I sooo want to do that with Tito. Way to go!
It was very interesting! 3 different judges looking at your dog back to back; their comments and what they liked and disliked. I was very surprised at how some things were rated so differently from judge to judge :)

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
Well done! It is interesting that the judges commented so differently.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
not really.....that's pretty much what you see in the breed ring, too :doh:

What are the categories on which they score them???

Well done! It is interesting that the judges commented so differently.

·
Registered
13,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not really.....that's pretty much what you see in the breed ring, too :doh:

What are the categories on which they score them???
I don't have the sheets with me right now (I'll give more detail later if needed) but they basically break down the dogs's components for judging and then the temperment and how the dog is put together as a whole. For instance, there is a milling portion where they did not want interference from the owners (makes sense) to see how 3 dogs interacted.

If I remember right

Head (nose, teeth, stop, forehead, teeth, eyes, expression etc)
Front (shoulders, pasterns, feet, angulation, drop (?), movement)
Next (length, strength etc)
Back and ribs (movement, levelness, spring etc)
Hind quarters(hocks, thigh, lower thigh, feet, muscluature, movement , feet, croup, tailset, angulation)
Coat (color, texture, undercoat, length, feathering etc)
Overall impression including balance, movement, angulation, breed type
Temperment
Height, weight
Whether the dog is lean and muscular, working ability, overdone, fat, soft

It was about 15 minutes with each judge, with the judge really evaluating and critiquing your dog; very nicely though and they would explain why they thought something was good or not. All 3 judges were also open to questions and asked me what my primary goals were; as a working dog they thought he was a very good / very nice dog, as a show dog they actually almost verbatim repeated what the professionals evaluated him as last weekend - that is really needing more maturity, that his chest needs more spring and drop (maturity related) etc.

Overall, I think for anyone showing or breeding their goldens, this would be an invaluable experience. These judges had their hands on each dog and really did an amazing job. And the audience learned as well since the judges would explain thoroughly.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I really wish they'd do one close to here (at least within a few hours!), I'd love to go. Our club has been trying to put one together, but there are some major issues going on (very long story).

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Congratulations! I really want to do that as well. I had planned on participating in the Northern Flyway Club's CCA this fall, but now that I won't be working I won't have the money available. The entry fee is about the same cost as a bag of dog food.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Congratulations! I heard you passed. Wasn't that fun? You looked really nice in pink and Faelan was very good waiting in the same room as the food all day.

Thanks for all your hard work too. See you soon.

·
Registered
13,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sungold, SBGRC (Southern Berkshire Golden Retriever Club) hosted the CCA event in Manchester, CT. The judges were Chris Miele, Sue Peterman and Jeanne Von Barby.

Boomers_Dawn – hey where is your brag??? Boomer got his CCA rosette too J And yeah, Faelan did get to smell all that food all day long – no wonder he was sooo tired by the end of the day heehee. It was fun .. great people, great dogs, great food and great judges – what better way to spend a rainy Sunday?

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Congratulations. That is a very impressive evaluator panel. I have been fortunate to have been to several CCAs and it does not change. A very enlightening experience to see and hear the various opinions of the same dog. It is a fantastic experience to take in whether you are a participant or a spectator.

·
SunKissed Goldens
975 Posts
Sungold, SBGRC (Southern Berkshire Golden Retriever Club) hosted the CCA event in Manchester, CT. The judges were Chris Miele, Sue Peterman and Jeanne Von Barby.

Boomers_Dawn – hey where is your brag??? Boomer got his CCA rosette too J And yeah, Faelan did get to smell all that food all day long – no wonder he was sooo tired by the end of the day heehee. It was fun .. great people, great dogs, great food and great judges – what better way to spend a rainy Sunday?
Awww, I wish I had known! Would have love to go! Chris Miele did Diva's litter evaluation, I'd love for her to see her now!

·
Gone to the Goldens ;)
1,150 Posts
Congrats!!! I've always wanted to show in a CCA event! They sound so neat!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts