Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Eyes

1564 Views 32 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Goldenchildzara
Hi everyone!
I have about a 7 month old golden, zara. I have noted some changes in her eyes. However, I am not sure if this is just because now that she knows how to sit, I am able to brush her teeth and get a bit closer to her face and haven’t noticed this before or if this is something I should worry about. (I will admit I am a bit neurotic about things as she’s my first pup, but I just want to make sure she is happy and healthy!)

She seems to see fine - can catch treats out of the air, watches birds in the sky, chases flies and ants, not bumping into furniture, will walk around in a dark room etc. I’ve just never seen eyes that reflect the way hers do. And it is only at particular angles of light do her eyes reflect like this!

Any info would help. She is going to the vet in 1 wk to have to looked at but any additional info or questions prior to then would be greatly appreciated!!
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Jaw Ear

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Companion dog
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Lead Super Mod + Administrator
3,408 Posts
You don’t need a referral to go to an ophthalmologist. You can just go to any eye clinic near you and get her checked out. Or you can even make an appointment at a specialty or university and just say you need to get her eye clearance done. The latter will be more expensive, but if you’re really worried, it will give you peace of mind.

To find shows near you, you can go to the AKC event search or Infodog.com

• Helpful
Reactions: njdglvr

3,408 Posts
I tried to make an appt at the animal eye care vet near me and they say I needed blood work and a referral form filled out before I could make the appt. I do see there is an eye clinic on the OFA website in a few weeks, so we will likely go to that!
Did you tell them you think she has a problem? What if you called and said you just need to get an OFA eye exam?

Also, it matters if the vet is a board certified ophthalmologist or not.

3,408 Posts
Oh okay gotchya. What is the difference between the OFA eye exam and

yes I did. They are a board certified ophthalmologist. What is the difference between an OFA and going to an ophthalmologist? Can a regular vet perform OFA eye exam?
No, a regular vet can’t perform an OFA eye exam.

For some reason, it seems like clinics want a referral if you call thinking you have a problem. They want the documentation.

If you go for a routine OFA exam, you aren’t necessarily going because of a problem. You’re actually going hoping for clear/normal eyes. If they find a problem during an OFA exam, then you can book a separate appointment for a more in depth exam and you won’t need a referral because the condition was diagnosed during a routine exam. Make sense?

Some conditions, like certain types of cataracts for example, don’t need a separate follow-up exam. You would just continue doing OFA exams annually and check for progression. There are a lot conditions that Goldens can get that don’t actually affect their vision.

3,408 Posts
Cataracts can come in many forms. Most don’t cause vision issues at all. If they do, it’s usually in old age and it’s a slow progression. The scenario described above is pretty rare. At least from breeders who get eyes checked every year according to the GRCA Code of Ethics.

My boy Rocket has cataracts. He was diagnosed with them at 4, but was probably born with them. He’s 7 now and is totally fine. His vision is unaffected, but we do an OFA check every year for progression.

I honestly don’t think there is any reason to panic. Get in to an ophthalmologist as soon as you can, but don’t spend the wait time worrying about her. It won’t change anything and it will only make things worse for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts