Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Eyes

1560 Views 32 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Goldenchildzara
Hi everyone!
I have about a 7 month old golden, zara. I have noted some changes in her eyes. However, I am not sure if this is just because now that she knows how to sit, I am able to brush her teeth and get a bit closer to her face and haven’t noticed this before or if this is something I should worry about. (I will admit I am a bit neurotic about things as she’s my first pup, but I just want to make sure she is happy and healthy!)

She seems to see fine - can catch treats out of the air, watches birds in the sky, chases flies and ants, not bumping into furniture, will walk around in a dark room etc. I’ve just never seen eyes that reflect the way hers do. And it is only at particular angles of light do her eyes reflect like this!

Any info would help. She is going to the vet in 1 wk to have to looked at but any additional info or questions prior to then would be greatly appreciated!!
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Jaw Ear

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Companion dog
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Kristy
11,037 Posts
Any changes in her eyes should be checked out by a Veterinary Opthalmologist ASAP, a regular vet will not have the equipment and expertise to check for some of the eye disease that Goldens are prone to. Hopefully they will find nothing serious - she should have yearly eye checks for life just to be on the safe side. There are eye issues that can cause extreme pain and progress to blindness. Here is a link: ACVO

· Kristy
11,037 Posts
....irregular shape of the iris in the below pic. And I can't tell if that lighter coloring and possibly what you are seeing as an owner is just a trick of the light or possibly inflammation..

View attachment 896602

I didn't want to cause unnecessary upset but this is what concerned me. My first thought was inflammation. If this were my dog, I'd be pitching a fit to get into the Opthalmologist next week. The problem with saving money with the OFA exam is that there will then be another delay in having the dog seen the the VO who can finish testing and make a treatment decision should that be the outcome. It's quite a delay if this is a worst case scenario. The more I read and observe, the more convinced I am that early treatment done religiously is key to keeping some dogs from progressing.

· Kristy
11,037 Posts
What does inflammation mean? Like what is the diagnosis associated with that?
Goldens are at risk for more than one eye problem. These problems typically present in older dogs, but not always - which is why we recommended that you have someone who is not a regular vet see your puppy. Inflammation can be caused by an infection, allergies or an injury, it's a result of the body's immune system. I am not trying to alarm you, I am very optimistic that the age of the dog and lack of other symptoms works in your favor. Based on my own life experience and how important our eyes are, I am sharing that if this were my dog, I'd be wasting no time getting to the bottom of the mystery.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts