·
the party's crashing us
4,742 Posts
NO!!!!!!

"MARKING is of primary importance"

not

running round until you find it

If your dog is landing on the bird with cover that is GOOD

In fact I was going to suggest after seeing your photos that you start by throwing him marks in SHORT cover to ENCOURAGE him to use his EYES not his nose!!!

Goldens have amazing noses. You will never need to work on him using his nose MORE. What you will need to stay on top of is using his EYES to accurately mark the fall so when he gets to the area he needs to do very little hunting to find it!

·
the party's crashing us
4,742 Posts
Okay now I read your post a little more carefully. If the dog was not running directly to the bird but rather going to the area and then putting up a hunt for it -- then again, with such a novice dog you need to work in SHORT cover so when he gets to the area he will immediately find the bird and not put up a huge hunt.
There is a fine line here in that you want the dog to be able to put up a hunt and not give up before finding it, but the ideal is the dog marking it so accurately that he has to put up just a small hunt to find it, if at all.
So while your soybean field will be great for practicing in cover, definitely find a mowed field you can practice marks in too.

·
the party's crashing us
4,742 Posts
Hey Barb (it is Barb right? I can't keep typing "Tito's Mom" :)
That duck is gonna get to the end of it's usefulness pretty soon - you do have bumpers, right?

·
the party's crashing us
4,742 Posts
Whoa, $100 on cabelas -- well you need to send it to me and let me spend it --- bwaahaha
Well if you are looking to buy dog training equipment buy yourself some black & white plastic bumpers - either 2" or 3", IMO they are the most general purpose ones you can get for a beginner dog.
I never use dokkens, really never thought they did too much.
Lemme give you one piece of advice : even though they are cool do NOT buy a camo lead for your new field dog -- it's camo, when you drop it in 2' tall grass, you will NOT be able to find it ever again!!! Learned that the hard way! Go for orange instead! :)

·
the party's crashing us
4,742 Posts
Uhhh yeah, do not throw orange bumpers. They are orange because dogs are colorblind and that shows up as neutral to them, so they cannot see it as well. The whole point of having a retriever is for him to SEE the bird fall in the distance and run and find it.
Orange bumpers are used for training blinds where the point is the dog did NOT see it and must rely on the handler to guide him to the fall.
That orange is so cool that people fall in love with it and want to buy that. Hence, even the "water retriever" toys like Kongs and such are orange! How dumb, the dog can't see it! But the buyers who don't know any better love that orange!
Sammy is exactly right, the half black half white bumpers show up the best in all backgrounds.

As far as dokkens go, seriously, do you think you are fooling the dog that that is a duck? What about that makes the dog think it is a duck? A floppy head? Does he think his stuffed toys are ducks? They look more like ducks than a dokken does. Again, these sell because the owners like them. They are expensive, hard to store and smell after a while. The only time these are kinda useful would be during force fetch, when you need to train the dog to pick up a variety of objects. A coke can or paint brush would be just as useful. Can you tell I'm not a fan?

Canvas bumpers get moldy, smell and get so waterlogged they sink.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.