Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I boarded Karlie for a few days and when I picked her up I noticed that her eyes were blood shot, and running a bit. I am wondering whether she has caught a cold or picked up an infection. She doesn't seem "sick"at all and there is no swelling. Any suggestions of what could be happening here?

Ronna

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
keep in mind a possible scratched cornea....is she rubbing it wtih her paws?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No she is not rubbing her eyes and it is both of them. I don't want to rush her to the Vet quite yet as her eyes just look a bit different.

Ronna

·
est.1989
4,374 Posts
you could always try polysporin eye drops, ( walmart) I used them with the horse at first prior to calling the vet out! If it is a simple irritation it may work and if not then it is probably best to see the vet! I don't mess around with eyes!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
both eyes does sound more like an irritant or a cold....some artificial tears might offer some relief...

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
gonna have to look for polysporin for eyes at wally-world... would be great to have in the first aid kit...

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I shall have to look for the eye drops too.
Another suggestion is to just clean them out well wit hsaline for sensitive eyes. It could be an eye irritant she came into contact with or even an allergy that is affecting her eyes (boy - I get that!).

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Personally I think I would take her to the vet just to be on the safe side. It could be a little virus.

·
Registered
511 Posts
No she is not rubbing her eyes and it is both of them. I don't want to rush her to the Vet quite yet as her eyes just look a bit different.

Ronna
I would rush her to the vet. Pigmentary uveitis is on the rise in Goldens. In fact, they now call it Golden Retriever Syndrome or GR Uveitis. My last boy had to have one eye removed due to secondary glaucoma and lost 20% of vision in his remaining eye. Your vet may not know about PU but an opthamologist will. It usually stikes when the dog is 7-8 years old. Sometimes you will see inflammation and sometimes not. In my case, I took Buster in because of inflammation in his left eye and discovered he was already blind in his right eye.

I hope your girl has something simple and I don't want to be an alarmist, but inflammed eyes in Goldens requires immediate attention. Chances are very good that your issue has do to with boarding and very probably not PU but I wouldn't take a chance. Just my opinion of course and I admittedly am biased based on what happened to Buster.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:

I was able to get Karlie in to see our Vet today. She examined her and did several tests to rule out cornea or ulcer problems. She believes that Karlie is sensitive to wood burning furnaces (Pet Boarder uses wood to heat building where Karlie was for three days) Karlie now has drops and some Benedril and I am so glad I took her and had the necessary tests.

Ronna

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I would rush her to the vet. Pigmentary uveitis is on the rise in Goldens. In fact, they now call it Golden Retriever Syndrome or GR Uveitis. My last boy had to have one eye removed due to secondary glaucoma and lost 20% of vision in his remaining eye. Your vet may not know about PU but an opthamologist will. It usually stikes when the dog is 7-8 years old. Sometimes you will see inflammation and sometimes not. In my case, I took Buster in because of inflammation in his left eye and discovered he was already blind in his right eye.

I hope your girl has something simple and I don't want to be an alarmist, but inflammed eyes in Goldens requires immediate attention. Chances are very good that your issue has do to with boarding and very probably not PU but I wouldn't take a chance. Just my opinion of course and I admittedly am biased based on what happened to Buster.
I am glad to hear you took your pup to the vet and had it treated. I too agree with artbuc that you can't mess around with the eyes.

I am so sorry artbuc that your golden lost his eye. My Gunner (now age 6) has/had uveitis, glaucoma and cataracts. We had no idea. I took him to the vet for something else and the vet saw the mass behind his retina. We went to the vet opthomologist and he has been on several eye drops for a year and a half. His inflammation is gone, no mass, and his pressure is down. He goes back in Jan. When he gets excited his eyes get red and it's hard not to get super paranoid!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I am glad to hear you took your pup to the vet and had it treated. I too agree with artbuc that you can't mess around with the eyes.

I am so sorry artbuc that your golden lost his eye. My Gunner (now age 6) has/had uveitis, glaucoma and cataracts. We had no idea. I took him to the vet for something else and the vet saw the mass behind his retina. We went to the vet opthomologist and he has been on several eye drops for a year and a half. His inflammation is gone, no mass, and his pressure is down. He goes back in Jan. When he gets excited his eyes get red and it's hard not to get super paranoid!
Thanks. We are able to control Buster's pressure for almost a year before we removed his eye. He was already completely blind and no way were we going to have him in pain. His eye doc said high ocular pressure can be extremely painful. If anyone needs the name of a GREAT eye doc in the Philadelphia, PA area please let me know. Unfortunately, we lost Buster to hemangio 5 months after his eye surgery. I'm still not over that. He was my best friend and beside me 24/7 since I retired in 2000.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts