Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I noticed her pawing at her eye a little bit but thought nothing of it until last night when I noticed that she had discharge from her eye (clear as far as I can tell) and it seemed a little bloodshot.
Today I haven't seen her pawing at it at all but it still seems to be leaking and the corner (third eyelid?) is visible.

She is acting completely normal and seems otherwise healthy and fine! (Well bonkers, but that's normal).

Is this something which I can clear up at home (have been dabbing her eye with a warm wet cloth), will it improve with time? Or does it really need a vet visit (which is very far away so requires a day trip).

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
1st off, your dog is beautiful. Even with an eye infection. I’m no vet. I generally try the hollistic home care before I go to the vet. Back a few years ago my dog had some eye issues. One time it was a cherry stye looking thing, other time it was goopy and didn’t look good. Anyways, I went on Amazon to find something and came across a spray called “vetercyn” “pink eye spray” even tho I didn’t think she had pink eye. The ratings were raving and I figured it was worth the under $20 to try before going to the vet. Applied it 2x a day with a warm wash cloth. Both issues cleared up within a few days. I could see it helping each time with each day and I think both were gone within a week. This stuff is amazing!!! I have used it for cuts and small scrapes, eye issues etc & it always works. I still have the same bottle actually - you don’t really need that much each time. Good to have around the house for issues that arise. Wasn’t cheap but cheaper than the vet. Aside from that I also recommend any product by Zymox - I’m not sure they have eye products but I love their bathing and ear cleaning, infection products. All on Amazon for a decent price. Lasts a long time. I hope you can help your pup without going to the vet but if it ends up being that, he/she probably needs antibiotics. Hopefully they will be all cleared up soon

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just looked it up, it’s been a good three years since I bought this. They do have what I have on Amazon but this also looks great and is highly rated. A good bit cheaper than the spray so I’d probaby give it a try. “Vetericyn Plus All Animal Antimicrobial Ophthalmic Gel 3 oz” trying to attach a picture but it’s not letting me. The spray is much more product though “Vetericyn Plus Pink Eye Spray 16 oz”.

·
Premium Member
18,562 Posts
You need a vet visit to have it examined and make sure the cornea is not scratched. I would not put any medication in that eye until you know if it is a scratch or an infection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts