Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was about 27-30 degrees Celsius with the sun out here in Canada this morning. Played fetch with my boy for only about 20-25 minutes before I decided to end the session due to extreme panting. Normally I like to play fetch when the weather is cooler or go super early mornings so we can play fetch for a solid 35-45 minutes.

The heat with hard exercise seems to make him extremely tired and he’s been passed out for 5 hours after our session! Anyone else have similar experiences? Crazy how quick the heat just knocks him out…

I was at my cottage and playing with him for multiple sessions during the day for 1 hour each time when it was hot out like this. The difference is he doesn’t pant nearly as much as he is fetching sticks in the water and cooling down in the water :)

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
80 F (27C) is my limit for playing hard outside. They really have a difficult time cooling themselves. Even at 79-80 I keep it shorter depending on humidity, if there's a breeze, or the sun has not set. No sense in risking a heat stroke.

·
Super Moderator
2,527 Posts
80 F (27C) is my limit for playing hard outside. They really have a difficult time cooling themselves. Even at 79-80 I keep it shorter depending on humidity, if there's a breeze, or the sun has not set. No sense in risking a heat stroke.
80 F (27C)? Good gracious. That's my limit for goin' outside myself. If it's above that, I'll be inside if anybody needs me.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I also have 80 (F) as my limit.
Archie, on the other hand, has 54 (F) as his limit.
Needless to say, there is not a heck of a lot of hard outdoor playing happening lately in our neck of the very hot/humid woods.
Oh and Archie also hates water, so there ya go!
Can you say "Little Prince"?!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed with you on that. It’s been 35C at night time with humidity (after sun has gone down) and we’ve got no problem going on 30 minute walks since the sun is gone, and the sidewalks aren’t burning hot. Heat is crazy here in Canada lately.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Needless to say, there is not a heck of a lot of hard outdoor playing happening lately in our neck of the very hot/humid woods.
Finley is this way, too. If it's 76 or above outside, he gives me a look when we head out to do his business like, "Mom, are you serious?" The main floor of my house stays around 70 in the summer, usually without air. So he acts like he's being tortured, flopping down on the floor with a huge sigh and panting like crazy. He sleeps in his crate in my bedroom upstairs, so I have to keep the upstairs thermostat set at 66 degrees, and he also has a fan on him. One day I forgot to turn on the fan and he whined and refused to settle until I turned it on. Talk about Little Prince!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like a little prince 😂 the heat gets them SOOO quick!!! I used to be a warmer weather person, but slowly enjoying the cooler months of the year, fall & winter. Only downfall about the winter is playing fetch the ball gets lost in the snow lots of times. I need a big ball with something he can grab on to fetch …

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finley is this way, too. If it's 76 or above outside, he gives me a look when we head out to do his business like, "Mom, are you serious?" The main floor of my house stays around 70 in the summer, usually without air. So he acts like he's being tortured, flopping down on the floor with a huge sigh and panting like crazy. He sleeps in his crate in my bedroom upstairs, so I have to keep the upstairs thermostat set at 66 degrees, and he also has a fan on him. One day I forgot to turn on the fan and he whined and refused to settle until I turned it on. Talk about Little Prince!
LOL!!! Made me laugh, what a cutie.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Yes, the flopping and the sighing are hilarious, especially since we have been keeping the central air conditioner on 24/7 during this heat siege...to the point that at times we feel like we seriously need a sweater! Oh and Archie also has his very own fan that points directly into his crate at night.
Perhaps a Little Prince Club is in order! 👑👑

·
Registered
Ramses
334 Posts
I laugh at some of these comments now.. but I'll be exasperated soon enough when we return home to France. Ramses is also not the biggest fan of the heat. He does enjoy being in the swimming pool or water bodies - but they must be clean. No mud pools; and rivers/lakes have to be clean - crystal clear where you can see right through them. Otherwise he's a snob and won't enter. Back in France, he's been called a "bourgeois dog" 🙈 In Norway, he has no problems staying in the water all day, fetching ducks.

*I have tried to get my golden dirty - but he won't have any of it - he looks at me like I'm stupid so I have given up. To the OP, at least consider yourself lucky that your Golden isn't judging the water surfaces before he enters it 😆

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yes, the flopping and the sighing are hilarious, especially since we have been keeping the central air conditioner on 24/7 during this heat siege...to the point that at times we feel like we seriously need a sweater! Oh and Archie also has his very own fan that points directly into his crate at night.
Perhaps a Little Prince Club is in order! 👑👑
The weather in NY is gross; hot, sticky, oppressive. And every morning I can't wait to step outside and WARM UP for a few minutes. It's such a welcome break from the arctic that is my house. Anything for my boy!

·
Registered
381 Posts
We just go early AM and in the evening when things have cooled down. Not only does exertion in high heat pose a risk of heat stroke to dogs but can also lead to hyponatremia (too much water consumption which ditutes electrolytes- esp. sodium).

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I have a field dog we run in hunt tests. We also train often. We never run him/her if it is 78-80 degrees or higher, our boy is running in Masters and sometimes the effort necessary is dangerous for long haired dogs when it is78- 80 degrees. If you get a draw in the morning, you probably will be alright, but by 11am it can easily exceed 80 degrees and we will withdraw on those occasions. The risk just is not warranted!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts