Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 5 month old golden layla woke us up at 12:25 circling our bed and crying.

i venture out into our living room and there's poop and two piles of vomit. both containing nothing other than partially digested kibble. just now, at 6 am, i get woken up again and there's 4 piles of vomit and another pile of poop. she's SO lethargic -- i've NEVER seen her like this. she won't even walk.

all she has had to eat was breakfast and dinner, each with a teaspoon of fat free plain yogurt. she did ninja some of my min-pin's blue buffalo wet food, but i don't see how that could have been enough to make her sick.

anyway, i dismissed it at 12 because i thought she was a nervous wreck because of the fireworks. i'm trying my hardest to get some fluids in her but she's only interested in ice cubes. :(

how long would you suggest waiting before taking her to the vet? i'm obviously going to wait and see if her problems persist, but are there any signs i should be looking for?

she looks so miserable. this is the first time my puppy has been sick so i'm a little nervous/paranoid, lol!

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
I would watch her very closely as puppies can dehyrate very quickly,vet check would be advisable

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Between the first lot of vomit and then the second had she eaten anything? If she hadn't but was still vomiting I would be quite concerned. Is the poop the same as she normally passes or different, and is it possible for you to take her temperature?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i don't believe she has eaten anything. she pretty much just emptied her stomach completely. at 12 the kibble was partially digested and at 6 it was almost paste-like.

we switched her to california natural from blue buffalo because her stools wouldn't firm, but she's eaten CN two days prior and done fine.

i do not have a thermometer but her nose is wet and cold. i don't know if that even means anything.

i keep bringing her ice cubes because i'm afraid she's lethargic due to dehydration.

·
16,000 Posts
My concern would be a blockage. Can you tell me what the color of her gums and the inside of her eyelids looks like? Lift her lip, fimrly press the gum over one of her canine teeth (the long sharp one...). It should blanche to pale but then pink up again w/i seconds.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
her gums are very pink. when i press on them firmly, the spot goes white and returns to pink quickly.

inside of her lids are light pinkish.

·
16,000 Posts
her gums are very pink. when i press on them firmly, the spot goes white and returns to pink quickly.

inside of her lids are light pinkish.

Good, this means that she is not anemic. Do you have any chicken broth - preferably low sodium? I'd see if she'd take some of that. If she will, offer her a small amount, see if she can keep it down, then offer her a little more at a time.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
has anyone tried giving their dog unflavored pedialyte or some sort of gatorade? i've heard of people giving it to parvo pups or those with severe dehydration.

i do not have any chicken broth. :(

she's sleeping right now so i may run to the store.

·
16,000 Posts
has anyone tried giving their dog unflavored pedialyte or some sort of gatorade? i've heard of people giving it to parvo pups or those with severe dehydration.

i do not have any chicken broth. :(

she's sleeping right now so i may run to the store.
Pedialyte is excellent. If you have some try that...

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Ah geez, take the dog to the vet!!! A person here recently waited a day and her puppy died. It could be a blockage and that can kill. If my Max was acting lethargic it would be right to the vet and an ER vet if need be. I am a bit of a nut about the health and well being of my animals but that lunacy saved my pets lives 2 times in the course of my life. Some sure, some visits could have waited but a few could not have. But I don't mess around with my pets when they are acting as different as you are describing. I don't know where you live but it's Friday here. Did you make an appointment?? I suggest that you call your vet as soon as they are open and tell your vet about how your pup is acting - they will likely want to see her asap. It might be her food, the fireworks - it might be a serious illness. I wouldn't take the chance personally. And as it's a Friday, it's much less of a financial burden to pay for your vet an appointment now than an ER over the weekend.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes, i intend on definitely calling the vet when they open this morning at 10.

she is moving around now, she's drinking the pedialyte, and she's hopping on the couch and whatnot.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,076 Posts
Ah geez, take the dog to the vet!!! A person here recently waited a day and her puppy died. It could be a blockage and that can kill. If my Max was acting lethargic it would be right to the vet and an ER vet if need be. I am a bit of a nut about the health and well being of my animals but that lunacy saved my pets lives 2 times in the course of my life. Some sure, some visits could have waited but a few could not have. But I don't mess around with my pets when they are acting as different as you are describing. I don't know where you live but it's Friday here. Did you make an appointment?? I suggest that you call your vet as soon as they are open and tell your vet about how your pup is acting - they will likely want to see her asap. It might be her food, the fireworks - it might be a serious illness. I wouldn't take the chance personally. And as it's a Friday, it's much less of a financial burden to pay for your vet an appointment now than an ER over the weekend.
I agree with momtoMax....I'd get her to the vet regardless. As soon as one of my dogs aren't acting, what I think is normal, I'm on the phone with the vet. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Hopefully she'll be okay!!

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Keep in mind that tomorrow is a weekend and springing for a 50 dollar visit might end up saving your money and giving you peace of mind this weekend. Like I said, I'm a bit commando when it comes to care but I really think that you should get her checked out just to be safe. Is she eating?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
she has an appetite; perked right up when she heard the bag crinkle. just ate a treat and a handful of kibble out of my hand.

i filled her bowl halfway up and she just ate it all and it drinking on her own now.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I'm guessing it was the food change if you did it cold turkey...my experience with my fosters is that I'd get a day (two max) of normal poo and then the vomit & liquid poo if I wasn't able to do a food transition...as most were coming from the shelter or off the streets, I rarely had the benefit of getting to do a transition. The first couple of times it was a frightening sight to come home & see them in their crate covered head to toe in poo, they were lethargic & drooling and so not like the bouncy happy golden I left in the morning. In the pups I would take them to the vet for a shot for anti-diarrhea to prevent them getting dehydrated (like PG said, watch the gums). I also use hamburger/rice & gradually introduce the dry kibble back in along with probiotics (dogzymes digestive enhancer).

(As it is New Years Day, my regular vet is closed & this would be considered an ER visit)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well, i started a half/half transition a few days ago. last night she ate only CN but like i said, she gobbled up some of my min pin's wet blue buffalo dinner. i don't know if it was the combination of foods that upset her or anxiety from fireworks. she completely emptied her stomach -- from soggy thick kibble to bile.

this morning, her stools were fairly solid. she was extremely lethargic because i don't think she slept AT ALL. she napped on the couch from when i made this thread until about 30 minutes ago. she is eating now and alert.

i will be calling the vet shortly. they're open 7 days a week so we hopefully shouldn't have any problems.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
She pooped, that's a great sign - blockage scratched off list. That's a big worry with golden puppys - they always get into and eat things they shouldn't. I would still call the vet - she may chalk it up to food issue since she is doing better. She will probably tell you as long as she is eating and peeing and pooping normally, wait and see if she continues to improve. The fact that you can take her in Sat is fantastic. I wish my vet worked weekends but she doesn't and she's the best vet in the area so oh well. So glad to see that she's doing better!!

·
lizandhector
158 Posts
My puppy exhibited some of the same signs when she was 2 1/2 months old... we couldnt figure it out. She would vomit, then get diarrhea, lethargic... she would just mope around all day with no energy. We called our vet and the vet was very concerned... she had us bring in Zoey and bring in a poop sample for testing. The poop revealed that our puppy had parvo. Parvo is an intestinal disease that can be fatal. Our little Zoey had to stay in the emergency ER for a few nights with an IV. But after the treatment at the ER she was fine.

I would recommend taking her to your vet as soon as you can. Also you may want to collect some of her poop in a zip lock bag. I am certainly not trying to freak you out... hopefully she just ate something wrong and will get over it quickly... but if its a parasite she is fighting you are going to need the help of your vet.

One sign you can look for is blood in vomit or stool. Have you seen any of that? We didn't see any in our puppys vomit or poop but according to our vet there was some blood in the poop sample that we took in. Our pup(Zoey) was really sick with parvo but now she is a huge bundle of energy... she just made me give her a walk in sub-zero temperatures... hehe.

Hope Layla feels better soon.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I'm glad she's doing better and has perked up. However, I'd still talk to the vet and get a recommendation of whether she needs to be seen or not.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts