Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight and tomorrow are supposed to be extremely cold. Not as bad as the Midwest or Canada, but much colder than normal for around here. Ben usually likes cold weather. He gets excited and a little more energetic and he loves to roll in the snow and ice. However, tonight it will be about 6 degrees F. when we go for our evening walk and tomorrow's high is only supposed to be 7F, so it will probably be about 2 degrees when we take him for his morning walk. We don't have a fenced yard, and Ben takes a long time to do his business, especially in the morning, so just standing outside with him is colder than walking down the street. DH and I can put on layers, lots of layers, but Ben has only his fur, and it's not all that thick. (He usually doesn't really get his winter coat until late January or Feb.) How can we tell if it's too much for him? He has been known to stop and turn around when walking in cold rain, so hopefully he will do that if he gets too cold, but I'm wondering how you can tell if a dog is getting hypothermic. Or am I worrying for nothing?

·
Charlotte
6,307 Posts
We just got out of a real cold snap here. On a couple of walks, Jess did just as you described, turned around and headed for home. They are more sensible than we think. Thankfully, it's above freezing now.

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
I'm in Chicago and let Duke out this morning to do his business...he was out less than 5 minutes and was picking up his one foot immediately. I had to call him in, but he was grateful once he was inside. This is the coldest it's ever been since I've lived here...thank goodness for daycare today! They have a huge indoor play area and Duke couldn't take another day of just inside activities.

Reactions: GinnyinPA

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
I'm worrying about this too, but we're totally wimping out on walks for the next two days.
He doesn't need a walk that badly.
My other concern is that Max has surgery two weeks ago (lipoma, all clear) and a good half of his belly was shaved for it. He goes today to get his stitches out and I'll be asking the vet if I should put a jacket on him or something!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I had to laugh at this - Richmond City Public Schools (and surrounding counties, for that matter) are opening 2 hours late tomorrow morning due to the cold. It's supposed to be about 10 degrees when we'd normally be going to the bus stop with a wind chill of -4. I mean, yeah, that's cold, but really? I shouldn't be surprised though, one snowflake falls out of the sky down here and everything shuts down.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
It's pretty cold here, -2F and the wind is howling so feels much colder. Hank has been out a few times for quick potty breaks but doesn't seem interested in staying out long!

·
Tucker's Human ~ Melissa
817 Posts
It is about -12 with windchill of -37 and will be getting down to -20 overnight again. All the schools in the state were closed today and many are going to be closed again tomorrow. Tucker is at my feet pouting that I only let him outside for about 5 minutes this last time. His balancing act of standing on two feet out there was a pretty darn good indication that he should come back inside! Silly dog. Keep warm everyone ~ wherever you are!

Reactions: Deber

·
Registered
397 Posts
over the past week it's been around -25 celcius with windchills reaching -50 some days. I'm getting a little tired of this cold and the dogs are going crazy being cooped up all the time haha. hopefully this cold weather ends soon!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
523 Posts
over the past week it's been around -25 celcius with windchills reaching -50 some days. I'm getting a little tired of this cold and the dogs are going crazy being cooped up all the time haha. hopefully this cold weather ends soon!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
:eek: OMG!:eyecrazy:

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
upstate south carolina is also putting schools, daycares, etc on 2 hr delay due to extreme cold ( expected low of 7 degrees F).

·
Maverick's Mom
176 Posts
I am in chicago too...-48 windchill!! I have walked maverick in below zero wind chills, neg 0 temps here are rare even at night but we have brought his "boots" back out this year to protect his paws for cold and salt...He hates them. I keep it up the block and back in these conditions. He adjust by doing his business quickly.

·
and Laika's mom
511 Posts
We're in Chicago too, and had to pull out the boots today. Without them, the dogs were picking up their paws the second they get into the deep snow to potty. With them on, they dragged me around the town for about 30 minutes before my fingers got too numb to hold their leashes. I can't wait for a warmup.....we have some seriously cooped up pups here.

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
Much as Max and I love our walks, and look forward to it every day, this is nuts, and there's no way we're going out tomorrow.
He'll be bored but he'll be warm, and we'll be ready to go when it warms up this weekend.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
upstate south carolina is also putting schools, daycares, etc on 2 hr delay due to extreme cold ( expected low of 7 degrees F).
We live right next to an elementary school. I was heartened to see a well bundled up child walking to school on the sidewalk and the usual line of SUVs making the road in front of my house impassable because people people were dropping off their children! The schools had not been closed simply because it was a little cold. (It is 4 degrees here.)

If it were -40 the way it is in parts of Minnesota, I would agree that of course schools (and everything else) should be closed for the public good. But I grew up here. When I grew up no one factored in wind chills to figure out the temperature. I remember it being 5 degrees and 10 degrees, albeit rarely. If people had factored in wind chills back then, maybe we would have had other numbers to bandy about when we talked about old record temperatures. Like, "In 1956 it was 3 degrees with a -24 degree windchill" or something.

I do not know why "wind chills" annoy me, but they do. They seem phony. In my opinion, the temperature is what it is. Here it is 4 degrees, even though I can hear the wind howling. Why can't a meteorologist just say: "It's 4 degrees, but the strong winds make the cold more dangerous. Wind speeds may up to 50 mph"?

Sorry for the rant. I suspect that it has been building up for years. I have never said anything to anyone about "wind chills" before!

Cheers!
NewfieMom

1 - 20 of 41 Posts