Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,

i'm hoping to get a golden puppy soon, so i'm thinking of all the necessary prep. it would be so much better if i could gate off my kitchen from my family room (as i have a young toddler!) but i have one of those open concept houses. the space where the gate would need to go is 13.5 feet wide. the widest gate i've found online is 13ft. with a puppy obviously it needs to be secured to the wall so i figure the stand alone panels wont work. any suggestions????

thanks,
amy

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
have you thought of an expen(s) that would fit in the kitchen versus a gate?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the suggestions! xpen is a good idea....a quick read shows a lot of people use them by stretching out as a barrier wall. but how did you attach it? did you have to permanently fix to the wall somehow? one wall, the panel could be flush, but the other wall the panel will "T" into the wall. and did you manage a walk through part on one of the sides? (sorry for being dense, i'm not sure how the xpens go together)
amy

·
Registered
640 Posts
We didn't attach ours, and we are still using them on one end of the kitchen and at the entrance to the living room/kitchen area. The pen end is like a door, and the humans go through. Because my 3-year old is not very watchful, we teach Zeke to wait for permission to go through any entry way (he's pretty good about it unless he's excited and forgets :))

Zeke could easily push through the end of the pen, but he has never tried. I guess he's so used to the barrier, he just figures it's permanent?? We do not use it for unattended times, for that we use the crate.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
We put two x-pens together and left a gate part in the middle for us to walk through. Using two allowed us to accordian it so it stands pretty secure. The two sides are held with heavy objects (a heavy chair & the other side slides behind our cubbard. Though the goldens could easily knock it down, they have never tried, even when left alone. They are almost adults now and we are starting to allow them into the den with supervision, but mostly they stay on the kitchen side.

We use hooks that lock to put the pens together and they are easily removed, and wall comes down when company is coming. The pups have used this since coming home to us. Wonderful and saved my carpet during the toilet training times and now just to keep them off the furniture if we cannot monitor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts