Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may remember, we are originally from the Netherlands. This summer, one of our nephews will get married and it would be a nice time to stay and have a holiday. But I do not want to leave Tess for three weeks in a kennel, so we are thinking of taking her with us. As she will be around 9 months then, she will have to fly in the cargo area. The flight will be anywhere between 7 and 8 hours. Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Ive flownn with Misty in the cargo area from CA to GA and CA to FL and back numerous times. She did fine. She looked like she slept the whole way. That was 5 hours or so. If you have any questions you can PM me or just post here and Ill answer what i can. There are others on here who have flown with their dogs too, Im sure they will chime in! Misty did fine..although I was worried and I made sure the pilot and the stewardesses all knew my dog was on the plane..and I made sure they let me know that she was loaded on before we took off.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and I made sure they let me know that she was loaded on before we took off.

Yikes....that gives me the creeps!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I hope Anne will chime in. She has a different view point and her DH is a commercial pilot.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Also you'll need to make sure any vaccination requirements are fulfilled before travel. I don't know what, if any, specific requirements are for flying into the Netherlands, but I know flying with animals into many foreign countries can be quite a hassle and ordeal.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
My parents flew their cat and dog from the states to me in Germany. The dog was a cocker mix who had never been crated before, but loved to travel. The airline provided updates to my parents as they (the animals, parents did not accompany) made the connections. After 6 months waiting out the quarantine for entry into the UK, they then flew to be with my parents. The dog loved his flying experience so much (to include his time in customs at Frankfurt) that my parents had to hide the crate cause he would pester them wanting to get in it and "go". I've also flown with my cat back and forth to the states and the airlines provided me a card letting me know her status and made sure to let me know when she was loaded/unloaded. My girl hates to travel, but was more than calm & relaxed each time I picked her up. Each time I was more than pleased with the airlines, they took more time to ensure the animals were attended to--more attention than I've ever rec'd as a passenger.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
If yopu decide it is too much hassle, you might also want to contact Tess' breeder to see if she could go back for a visit. Many breeders who do not offer boarding per-se will have their own babies back. I know I will if I am going to be around.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Inge, will Rose board Tess for you? I know way back when if Shadow had needed another surgery, Rose and Kathy said they would board Tucker. I cannot tell you how much I appreciated those words.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I hope Anne will chime in. She has a different view point and her DH is a commercial pilot.
My husband is a commercial airline pilot for a major air carrier. He has comforted many terrified crated animals in the cargo hold before taking off. Based on his experiences we will never fly our dogs in cargo. Never, ever. If we can't drive the dogs somewhere or they cannot fly in the cabin with us, they won't go.

While most animals safely arrive at their destination, many are terrified and the risk of something horrific happening is a risk we are not personally willing to take. This is our personal choice and we realize this is not an option for everyone.

If he knows a family pet is in the belly of the plane he keeps that in mind. If there are diversions, delays or other in-flight emergencies it weighs on his mind that animals are below and potentially at risk. He has in at least one instance notified controllers animals were in the belly of the plane when a diversion was being discussed. His priority is the safety of his human passengers first and foremost though.

Many airlines have restrictions on flying your pet--temperature, humidity, and other environmental factors.
If you decide to do this be sure to find these things out well in advance.

Personally I'd want to know what else is being flown with my pet in the belly of the plane. Is there something potentially hazardous or toxic? What if severe turbulence is encountered?

Living in Dallas we know of instances in Texas where dogs have died from excessive heat exposure on the tarmac waiting to be loaded. Since then most airlines revised the restrictions on travel on hot/humid or cold/icy days. A few years ago, a Westminister dog escaped somehow at the airport-I'm not familiar with the circumstances but these things can (and unfortunately do) happen.

I'll never forget one flight we took when a dog started howling shortly after take-off and didn't stop the entire flight. We could hear it where we were sitting. The owners were distraught for the entire flight.

Again, this is our personal opinion, but we feel very strongly about it for our own dogs.

·
who is really Diana
216 Posts
I flew my Sophie from Hawaii to Oklahoma six years ago and while the care that she received from the airline I chose was top notch, I will never fly her again. It was a necessary move and I was relocating, so I had no choice, but I was terrified for her emotional and physical well being during the entire trip. It was the hardest thing I ever did, even with months of preparation, crate training and research. Too much can go wrong. And even if it doesn't, they have to be scared to death, in the dark, in an incredibly loud environment.

Check out this link for information regarding animal incident reports, required by law, for each airline.

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/reports/atcr09.htm

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've been forced to do it several times with both cats and dogs due to relocation, and I would NEVER, EVER do it if there was any other option. You are at the mercy of the luggage handlers, the weather, and God knows what else. This is a rant worthy subject for me! we drove 2200 miles with five pets in a rented mini van for our last move because I wasn't going through it again- It's just not worth the "what-if". Dogs get over being boarded; There are so many doggie options these days!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have done it once, and will also never do it again. I flew my adult Siberian Husky on a 3 hour flight, and even though she was truly a teflon type dog it was obvious that it was not an experience she enjoyed. When she was unloaded she was clearly distraught (one of the only times I've seen her so). This flight was between two fairly small airports (although on a commercial airline) so I was able to see her loaded and unloaded.

We drove back.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
When we moved to Germany in 1983, we flew our dog over (and back) with no problems. Ohio -> Germany, if I remember right, is about a 12 hr. flight. It was winter.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I'd suggest finding a good friend to look after her. What about in-home pet sitters? I've done this for a few neighbors when I was a teen. It might also be worth contacting your breeder to see if they would be able to look after Tess. I just don't think I would do it for such a short period of time. The risk outweighs the benefits IMO.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
When we moved to Germany in 1983, we flew our dog over (and back) with no problems. Ohio -> Germany, if I remember right, is about a 12 hr. flight. It was winter.

I also did one of those flights Germany to Ohio, our dog back then did fine, however I don't think I would do it again!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I don't know about flights out of the country, but certain airlines have specific pet cargo holds that are only for animals that are temp/pressure controlled. I think Delta does, but I am not sure if they fly where you will be coming from/going to. We have flown often since we are military and my boys( and cat!) didn't mind at all! We also got to watch them get loaded on and got a notice once we were on the place that confimed they were safely bucked in! It was heck for us finding a flight that would work with or connecting flights though. Some airlines won't transfer pets to another airline! Ridiculous!

You may also want to consider a pet transport service. I don't know how costly it would be out of the country, but we considered that when we moved from Hawaii to here. We didn't know what time of year we would be moving and if it reached a certain temp. on the taramac the animals couldn't be loaded onto the plane!They service have their own flights and some sound really fancy with doggie waiters and movies during the flight! LOL!

I don't mind flying with my dogs in the cargo area though. They didn't seem overly stressed and the airline worked with us (once we found one that worked with our military move schedule!) If she hasn't flown ever, and isn't crate trained that might make it more difficult though! Maybe call the airline you are considering and talk to their pet liason and see what their policies are... if you are not comfortable with what they say, perhaps boarding would be better. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with for you dog. :)

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I flew my dogs from Chicago to London last July due to a re-location. It all went well in the end but I was a major wreck on the day they flew. I had to go ahead of them by two weeks and depend on a pet transport company to fly them. I would only fly them if absolutely necessary. We have found a lovely lady who takes both dogs into her home while we travel. We even left them for 2 weeks at Christmas and they did great. I would find someone you trust to care for your dog and enjoy your vacation.

Also wouldn't there be alot of red tape to get the dog into your country from the US?

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not sure about the red tape, haven't looked into that yet. Reading all these posts, I think I don't even have to, I think she will be much happier without the flying. This thread was to see what people's experiences were. Some of you have good experiences, so when we will have to go back to the Netherlands (not in a long time), I know it can be done, but in this case, just for a holiday, I don't think I will do it. Thank you all for taking the time to answer me!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts