Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

This site has been so helpful, at first at finding recommended breeders in Southern California and since looking for all the things new first time puppy owners should be aware of. However, the site is warning me that if I don't make a post soon, I may lose my account- so it's time to introduce myself I suppose (per the forums suggestion).

My boyfriend and I live in Long Beach, California. As a vets daughter, I grew up with a zoo and have wanted a dog ever since I left home. Until this point I havent felt I have had the time or resources necessary to properly care for a dog, but now things are settling down and we are excited to be getting our first dog, and first golden, in late June. Any advice, suggestions, etc. that people have are more than welcome!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I was a lurker for about three months before I actually joined 4 years ago, now I am addicted to this forum.

You can ask us anything. Brady was my first golden, now I have two!

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Welcome!

It must be warm and sunny where you are, very jealous. What a great place to raise a pup.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Welcome from another SoCal resident! My best advice is to work to set your puppy up for success and prevent accidents before they happen. This doesn't just apply to potty training, but also in not leaving things out and then get upset when he/she chews them, containing your puppy when not supervised, etc.

Since you mentioned you researched breeders on here, I'm curious where you getting your puppy?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Welcome to the forum; I can remember vividly when I got my first puppy and then my first golden. I must admit, have goldens are an addiction.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Welcome to the forum! As dochusar said, Goldens are definitely an addiction! I started with one Golden seven years ago and my third Golden will be coming home on June 17th. :)

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,428 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new golden pup-be sure to post pictures when your little one arrives.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello- Wow, look at all the wonderful responses! We just confirmed the puppies were born in the last week.

Goldenjackpuppy- We are getting a puppy from Alan Gunther at Shadalane. I had talked to Cathie Turner at Sunbeam and Mary Thompson at Calico and a really helpful breeder named Sharon from Crossbow and they were all wonderful but having puppies too soon or too late (I am not patient enough to wait until September/October and we are going on vacation so can't get a puppy until Mid june). In fact, i had seen some of your recommendations on other posts and had already reached out to a few you recommended! On one post I saw you didn't know Shadalane (see, I'm a serious lurker). I got some recommendations from the breeders and heard good things about Shadalane and Alan so I checked them out. We aren't going with their "trained golden" approach. We want to learn how to train our own dog because hopefully this is the first of many and what a good time to learn. I am sure we will make plenty of mistakes, but we have bought a few books and will try the clicker training method I think. If people can recommend any good preparation websites or books that really helped them we would love that! We will also be looking for a good obediance class for puppy school!

Also, if anyone takes their Golden down to the really wonderful dog beach in long beach, we live a few blocks away so once our new puppy is old enough/ has all her shots we will probably frequent that beach a lot! We would love to meet up with you fellow So Cal golden residents!

We will definitely start posting pictures as soon as we get her! I am sure there will be too many as we will be obsessed.

Booker T- That's so fun that you live in Cape town! I lived there for a semester abroad in 2005. It was such an amazing and beautiful country, but Cape Town is especially beautiful. I lived in Bo Kapp, Langa, Stellenbosch, and Observatory! I was doing a multicultural program where I learned a bit of some of the languages of the southern cape- mostly Xhosa and Afrikaans. Anyways, glad to hear from some one from South Africa, it will always hold a place in my heart!

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
congrats on your new pup!! this forum is wonderful for any questions you have..i have a 14 week old male puppy they are so addicting, just truly the best breed yet. i can honestly say i will never have any other breed but a golden and i have a choc lab as well. The breeder will also help you with all the puppy items you will need to get. enjoy they grow way too fast

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cape Town Connection

Wow. What a coincidence. cape Town is beautiful ...yes! Would you believe we have a Long beach as well in Noordhoek...Look forward to seeing the pics of the pup

·
Kimberley, Bella's Mum!
1,002 Posts
Hi! I am fairly new to this site too....and I LOVE California!! We used to live in the Phoenix area and make frequent trips to SoCal year round. We moved to Texas though, and I truly miss being close to California!

Good luck with your new pup in June!

Kimberley

·
War Eagle!
312 Posts
Congratulations! Your soon-to-be family member will fill a hole in your heart that you didn't know existed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello Everyone! I've added some pictures of our new puppy. We've had her for about 5 weeks now and it has been a wonderful, sometimes challenging, but always fun adventures. I've only added three pics b/c the upload on this is so slow, but i will add more soon! We've taken like 800! Since everyone asked for pics, just wanted to update you!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts