Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum!

My retriever is coming up to a year now (22nd), and I was wondering if anyone can help me with a few queries.

Currently, he has two half hour walks a day and I was wondering :
1) Is he getting enough exercise?

2) I appreciate that their joints could be affected if he has too much exercise, so when would be the right time to increase the amount, or should I stay with what it's at, at the moment?

Many Thanks

tjwtjw

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Hi back, and welcome to GRF. :wavey:

for my GR two half hour walks would not be enough. Is your dog able to settle down during the day, or is he hyper? I like to let Tucker play hard or run--either playing with another dog or chasing balls--for at least 1.5 hours a day. But Tucker is pretty high energy, I know not all GRs are.

The joint issue--I'll let someone else answer that. Most people don't like to do forced running (such as jogging on pavement at the end of a leash) and jumping until GRs are two I think. But someone more knowledgeable than I will probably chime in. You can also search for jogging on GRF--there have been other threads on the topic.

Also--there's a parent of teens ongoing thread where we discuss what teens do. You're invited to join! Would love to see pix of your pup, too.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Maverick gets one 30min walk in the morning and is basically doing nothing until about 6 when we head to the dog park for about 1.5-2hrs. For now it's enough exercise for him and I do play and train him in the time between.

·
Registered
453 Posts
My dogs get two 30-40 minutes walks a day minimum. Plus, on weekdays, we play fetch in the yard for probably 1/2 an hour. On the weekend, we try to take them on some 'adventure" like the beach so they can run and run.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all your help. He has a huge garden he is always in and on the walks we're running around chasing each other.

·
Arthur's Peep
189 Posts
Walking on a leash doesn't seem to give Arthur the activity he needs. I'm looking forward to the rains starting in our area so I can take him in some off leash places in the hills and not fear the foxtails and ticks! Until then, it's swimming and playing with friends at the dog park.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has anyone had difficulty keeping your dog focused to you? For example is the dog more interested in other people/dogs and runs to them, rather staying close to you? Just wondering :)

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I think most GRs are so outgoing and happy that they naturally have to say "hi" to everyone who crosses their path. However, if you want your dog more focused on your during your walks, there are ways to train for that. You can search the Internet or on GRF and will find lots of focus exercises.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts