Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

This is Jawa, new to this forum. We will be picking our baby boy in a week's time. He will be 8 weeks old by Aug 1st. Before bringing him home, I just want to make sure I've everything set for him. I started following this forum for tips and answers to my questions. To start with, there are so many recommendations on what type of brush to get. I'm really confused to choose from the brushes. The recommendations are Pin Brush, Slicker, Furminator, Bristle etc ., Also I need suggestions on what type of shampoo, Dry Shampoo to get.

About the food, the breeder said, she's giving Purina Puppy Chow and Alpo Prime cuts mixed together. Should I continue with the same or I can try a different kind?

I'm 200% sure, that I'll be posting more questions in the coming days. I'm all excited for the new puppy and also I'm bit nervous.It will be great if I can get some answers from the experts. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I also got a new puppy recently so I feel your excitement! I did a lot of research beforehand (though sometimes I still feel like I know nothing) but here's what I found.

1. Brushes... For a puppy, I use a greyhound comb and slicker. Furminators strip the top coat of it's outer layer, so it's not really recommended to use. It's better to use an undercoat rake or something like that.

2. Shampoo... I use cowboy magic diluted 5:1 with water. I know a lot of other people on this forum use it as well. I don't know about dry shampoos though.

3. Always stay on the same food your breeder was using for at least a couple weeks while your puppy is still getting settled. Then you can gradually change foods if you like.

Hope to see pics of your puppy soon!

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Hello Everyone,

This is Jawa, new to this forum. We will be picking our baby boy in a week's time. He will be 8 weeks old by Aug 1st. Before bringing him home, I just want to make sure I've everything set for him. I started following this forum for tips and answers to my questions. To start with, there are so many recommendations on what type of brush to get. I'm really confused to choose from the brushes. The recommendations are Pin Brush, Slicker, Furminator, Bristle etc ., Also I need suggestions on what type of shampoo, Dry Shampoo to get.

About the food, the breeder said, she's giving Purina Puppy Chow and Alpo Prime cuts mixed together. Should I continue with the same or I can try a different kind?

I'm 200% sure, that I'll be posting more questions in the coming days. I'm all excited for the new puppy and also I'm bit nervous.It will be great if I can get some answers from the experts. Thanks in advance.
Welcome and best of luck with your new puppy! We love pictures!

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,646 Posts
Welcome!

Congratulations on your new puppy.

I moved your thread into the "Puppy up to 1 year" section so you would get more views and replies to your questions.

Looking forward to seeing lots of pictures, good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also got a new puppy recently so I feel your excitement! I did a lot of research beforehand (though sometimes I still feel like I know nothing) but here's what I found.

1. Brushes... For a puppy, I use a greyhound comb and slicker. Furminators strip the top coat of it's outer layer, so it's not really recommended to use. It's better to use an undercoat rake or something like that.

2. Shampoo... I use cowboy magic diluted 5:1 with water. I know a lot of other people on this forum use it as well. I don't know about dry shampoos though.

3. Always stay on the same food your breeder was using for at least a couple weeks while your puppy is still getting settled. Then you can gradually change foods if you like.

Hope to see pics of your puppy soon!
Hi, Do you use both the greyhound and slicker at the same time or how do you use them?

Once of my recommended this one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EZ7UOCM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1L2OLS6MGZEON&psc=1

And I'm getting a slicker as well.

·
Kristy
10,128 Posts
Welcome to the forum :) I think anticipation is half the fun! And the last few days just crawls by so you're smart to use the time to make sure you have all your ducks in a row. Have you used the search feature to look for previous threads on this? We have a bunch on what to buy for puppy, grooming tools, training books and good websites etc.

Sound Beginnings DVD by Jackie Mertens is a great training guide
Life With Rune on Facebook is a whole resource of posts with videos on things to do with your puppy. The lady who trains Rune is a wonderful trainer and shows you how to build a relationship with your puppy and work toward having a dog who you can take anywhere with you.
Star mark
West Paw
Fluff n tuff stuffed toys
Wire Exercise Pen

Have fun!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I prefer this type of undercoat rake. I tried one like the one you posted above and really thought it was breaking the hair after just a couple of swipes.

A Furminator really breaks the hair, unless you mean their standard rake like the one I linked. They sell those also.

I also use a greyhound comb and a slicker brush.

Isle of Dogs shampoo and conditioner work great.

You could always check dogfoodadvisor.com about which food to feed. My nine month old Golden is eating Life's Abundance. I've heard good things -- and the vet recommended -- Purina Pro Plan. I wouldn't switch the puppy right away or all at once if you plan to change foods. It will likely upset his tummy.

Congratulations on your new puppy!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I prefer this type of undercoat rake. I tried one like the one you posted above and really thought it was breaking the hair after just a couple of swipes.

A Furminator really breaks the hair, unless you mean their standard rake like the one I linked. They sell those also.

I also use a greyhound comb and a slicker brush.

Isle of Dogs shampoo and conditioner work great.

You could always check dogfoodadvisor.com about which food to feed. My nine month old Golden is eating Life's Abundance. I've heard good things -- and the vet recommended -- Purina Pro Plan. I wouldn't switch the puppy right away or all at once if you plan to change foods. It will likely upset his tummy.

Congratulations on your new puppy!
Thank You !!!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Welcome. I got my puppy the day before 10 weeks. March 18. Right before the coronavirus shortage.
She adds a lot of joy to my life.

Get a large crate with divider, we have been through 3
Play with his feet all the time, makes trimming nails easier
Start teaching tricks right away, believe it or not, they can learn a lot at that age.
The small balls fit their mouths at that age. The medium is tennis ball sized and is too big right away. Watch them close, once they can carry the medium, throw out the small.
Use a ball like Chuck it. My Golden would tear the fur off the tennis ball types
Puppy Kong small...
And remember, they bite a lot as babies. It gets better

1 - 12 of 12 Posts