Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have a one year old golden. He is an amazing dog. So smart and sweet. The only thing he needs work on is socialization with other dogs. Unfortunately, we do not have a lot of friends who have dogs. Our neighborhood has lots of dogs in it, but no one seems to walk their dogs so there are not a lot of opportunities to let him play. The only times our dog has had the opportunity to play with other dogs is when we go to the dog park. When we do go to the dog park (maybe once a month) he gets way to excited and uncontrollable around other dogs. He is friendly with the other dogs, but just to hyper. When inst around dogs he is very calm. My wife and I were also thinking about getting another dog. We feel this might help with his socialization with other dogs and be a good companion for him. What would you recommend for our situation? Should we just take him to the dog park more often to get him used to being around other dogs? Will getting another dog be the answer? Thank you for your help.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I would suggest putting him in some group classes, so you can get him used to working around other dogs and learn better how to train and control him. Take him for a good walk to settle down first, then take him to the dog park when it's not too busy. He will calm down once he's used to going more often (still expect manners when you are going, like him waiting in the car till you release him and walking politely on leash to the park area). Between the classes and going more often to the dog park he should get better at socializing with other dogs, and you will have that much more experience for your next pup as well as your dog will be older and a bit more wiser as well.

Just watch the dog park to make sure it's not too crowded and there's not too many aggressive dogs, depends on the area on that one.

In other words, get your first dog a bit more socialized and under control BEFORE you add a second dog to the mix, so you have a good role model for the new pup (instead of two dogs to train and work on). Getting a second dog does not mean that you will instantly have two dogs who are socialized.

Lana

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I agree with Lana. The walk or big play time before the dog park will go a long way in helping him not be such a wild maniac at the park.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I have two Goldens one year apart in age. They play wonderfully together they have from day one, however, when we go "out" they always get excited to see and play with other dogs. I will always let them run in our back yard (it big and fenced) before a walk and they still start out over excited. Darby has ADHD, when he is out he cannot focus and he is a handful, he walks well and we go to class and keep working on his manners. Kirby is my Rally dog but going for a walk is a trial, she bounces the whole time. They are a work in progress.

Two dogs are great but I agree, you should get the first dog better socialized before adding number two. Two may help with the energy (play mates) but you will still have to teach them manners and rules. I love having two but they each need individual work.

Good-luck

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
I suggest you look into the golden rescues in your area or on petfinder for homeless goldens and maybe get one that is a bit older that him - maybe 3 or 4. The lower key energy might help him calm down as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the advice. We have done some individual classes with him, which has helped his manners and his listening ability. I think we need to do some group classes as well to help with his socialization. If we were to get another dog, we would get an older one to set a good example. My wife has had dogs her whole life, Dexter is my first. I have totally fallen in love with him and want the best for him. My wife says that having two dogs is pretty much the same as having one because you walk them together, feed them together, and pretty much do everything together. Is having two dogs that much harder than having 1 dog? (not that having one dog is hard).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts