Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since we came back from the coast (about a month ago) Bobby hasn't stopped shedding, she looks almost bald nowo_O. Also, her hair has become very coarse?
I rinsed her off every evening we were there, and gave her a bath right after we got back. In all her 5 years she's never shed this much, I'm at a complete loss as to what to do next.
Eyelash Liver Dog breed Whiskers Fawn
Horse Eyelash Liver Fawn Whiskers
Dog breed Dog Carnivore Liver Whiskers

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When was her last heat cycle relative to when the shedding started (if she's intact)?
Yes, she's still intact, her last cycle was in May, so 5 months ago(?)
I did just get her blood work done, as her spay is scheduled for 2 weeks from now, everything came back normal.
We spent a lot of time in the ocean, so I thought maybe the salt water had something to do with it?

·
Lead Super Mod + Administrator
2,889 Posts
Yes, she's still intact, her last cycle was in May, so 5 months ago(?)
I did just get her blood work done, as her spay is scheduled for 2 weeks from now, everything came back normal.
We spent a lot of time in the ocean, so I thought maybe the salt water had something to do with it?
My girl always blows coat 4-5 months after she’s been in heat. Like way more than you would think. And it’s even worse if it happens when it’s warm outside.

However, if she’s never blown coat to this degree before, still might be worth checking her thyroid.

Reactions: LéChasse17

·
the party's crashing us
4,743 Posts
She is exactly due to completely blow coat which is dependent on her heat cycle. About 1-2 months before they come in, out it all comes. It can be extremely dramatic! Girls!
It will become way less noticeable after she is spayed.

• Haha

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She is exactly due to completely blow coat which is dependent on her heat cycle. About 1-2 months before they come in, out it all comes. It can be extremely dramatic! Girls!
It will become way less noticeable after she is spayed.
Thank you!
Any tips on how to lessen the amount?
My vet said that her coat shouldn't change too much as she's already fully mature, I really hope this is true;). I'm still a little sad about having to go ahead with the spay, even though I know it's the best thing.

·
the party's crashing us
4,743 Posts
At her age it probably is the best thing. Pyometria is a real threat for older dogs. In intact girls, their coat and shedding is almost exclusively related to their hormone cycle. Spaying them takes away those hormones so the coat won't go through such obvious ebbs and flows.

·
Kate
24,290 Posts
I'm obviously a boy dog owner in that if my dog's coat looked like that - I would go in and get the full thyroid panel done asap. And talk to the vet about kidney health. And discuss anything else that may be going on, like cushings, etc. Or even cancer.

I had one dog whose coat looked like that, including very sparse fur on his belly - this after having a very thick and full coat, and this was the dog who died from renal failure a year later.

etc -

·
2,889 Posts
When Eevee blows coat, she looks almost bald on her belly. Loses her underline almost completely. Most of her feathering falls out. It’s an ordeal. Oddly enough, she looks the best for showing when she’s in the process of blowing coat, but isn’t totally naked.

My advice is to bathe and dry with a force dryer on the weekends for 2 or 3 weeks if you can to just get it over with and let the new hair start growing back in.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
When Eevee blows coat, she looks almost bald on her belly. Loses her underline almost completely. Most of her feathering falls out. It’s an ordeal. Oddly enough, she looks the best for showing when she’s in the process of blowing coat, but isn’t totally naked.

My advice is to bathe and dry with a force dryer on the weekends for 2 or 3 weeks if you can to just get it over with and let the new hair start growing back in.
I had no idea girls did this. I better stick with my boys only rule. You learn something new every day.

·
the party's crashing us
4,743 Posts
Now owning my first bitch I can assure you, they are their own creatures!!! The velocity and quantity of hair they will blow then grow is astounding. You can barely tell if my boys are blowing coat or not.

·
2,889 Posts
“Velocity and quantity” is right. Went from full coat to totally naked over like 3 weeks in May-June. Back to full coat and then some by August. The feathering takes longer to get back to full length.

There’s not even a point in brushing a bitch in full coat blow. Just bathe and blow dry and you can have your own little blizzard. When they aren’t blowing coat (and are healthy), you can go over their entire body twice and not have to clean out your brush.

·
Super Moderator
1,545 Posts
My youngest female had her first season in March/April and in August (5 months after her season) blew EVERYTHING. She lost all of her undercoat, tail feathering...everything. She looked atrocious lol. It's normal, the best thing I found is just to bathe them and blow dry them often to get all of the shedding coat out to encourage the new hair growth to come in. My older female only cycles once a year so she is not as dramatic with her coat blowing and usually starts to blow coat a month or 2 out from when she comes into season.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Bobby calls this the best advice ever:love:, anything that involves getting more attention and bath time is a win-win in her mind.
Good thing she's so cute:LOL:
Dog Sky Carnivore Dog breed Fawn

·
the party's crashing us
4,743 Posts
HAHAHAHA I'm like you...I've always had boys...Jamie is my first girl, so much so that I gave her a gender-ambiguous name! I won't call her a tomboy but she is a brute :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think the shedding is slowly slowing down, or I'm just getting used to living in the blizzard of fur.
As the days are counting down to her spay I'm now worrying over all the little things. The one I'm stuck on now is how much her coat will change if at all? Since she's "fully mature" will she get spay coat?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts