Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Ruby is going on 8 mos old and sheds like crazy! She is healthy, and has a ton of hair, I don't notice any patchy areas or anything. We just had her spayed but she was shedding before that. At first I thought it was normal but I have talked to other golden owners who although I know they shed, she leaves like just TONS of hair on our pants when she rubs by. It's not like it comes out in clumps or anything. Her skin is healthy as far as I can see, and she itches every once in a while but not excessively. There is just hair everywhere and we love her but it drives us nuts! I can handle some shedding but how much is normal and what do I do about it? Is it puppy hair she is losing? DOes it stop! HELP!

·
16,000 Posts
Anesthesia causes coat to blow. You are probably experiencing a combination of things - indoor dog (doesn't need a big coat) puppy coat turning over to adult coat, and then wham - anesthesia. Frequent brushing and bathing will help to get it all out more quickly, and then she can begin to get her adult coat.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Lucky's first seasonal shed...when he was about 8 to 12 months....was so bad I was in tears. he was getting rid of his puppy coat as well as going through a normal shed. Lucky is still a heavy shedder when the season is right, but nothin like that first one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh! So with her adult coat she will shed less? When does that stay? haha...and yes, anesthesia, forgot about that. And yes, she is indoors WAY more right now cause it's so flippin cold here in Wisconsin. Do you recommend a good shampoo?

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Well.....you might have less of an issue with future sheds, but still you need to get used to lots of hair.

Some dogs are different too...especially if they are in different climates. Lucky gets a thick winter coat in winter and goes to an extremely light coat..half the thickness in summer. His least shed time is late summer.

·
Steelers and Pens Fanatic
744 Posts
Our Lucy is the same age and we too just got her spayed. She was starting shed slightly more than usual before her surgery and just figured it as her puppy coat, then WAM!!, I was like "holy cow, she's going to go bald!" I would brush and brush but it just kept coming out. Finally I gave her a bath and ran my fingers all through her coat while it was soapy then rinsed and that really helped to get all that loose hair off. Much better now. Afterward I came to realize about the surgerys affects, but wow, it was crazy there for awhile. Also, been watching ebay for a furminator

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all! Ruby is going on 8 mos old and sheds like crazy! She is healthy, and has a ton of hair, I don't notice any patchy areas or anything. We just had her spayed but she was shedding before that. At first I thought it was normal but I have talked to other golden owners who although I know they shed, she leaves like just TONS of hair on our pants when she rubs by. It's not like it comes out in clumps or anything. Her skin is healthy as far as I can see, and she itches every once in a while but not excessively. There is just hair everywhere and we love her but it drives us nuts! I can handle some shedding but how much is normal and what do I do about it? Is it puppy hair she is losing? DOes it stop! HELP!
Hi there Stuebs! I came across your post while searching the forum for other dog owners with an excessive shedding puppy. My golden is 7 months and shedding way more (!) than my previous golden ever did. He seems healthy other than the vast amount of hair he sheds. I've asked the vet and the groomer and his trainer, but everyone just says "he's blowing his puppy coat." I was encouraged by what other posters said on this thread about the shedding getting better after the adult coats grew in. Just wondering if Ruby's shedding got better as she grew and aged?

·
Puddles
3,399 Posts
Hi there Stuebs! I came across your post while searching the forum for other dog owners with an excessive shedding puppy. My golden is 7 months and shedding way more (!) than my previous golden ever did. He seems healthy other than the vast amount of hair he sheds. I've asked the vet and the groomer and his trainer, but everyone just says "he's blowing his puppy coat." I was encouraged by what other posters said on this thread about the shedding getting better after the adult coats grew in. Just wondering if Ruby's shedding got better as she grew and aged?
This post is 11 yrs old and doubt if anyone will respond. You may want to start a new post so people will see your question.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,859 Posts

That member hasn't been on since he started this thread.

Feel free to start a new thread if you wish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts