Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, is it normal to shed heavily in January? My daughters 8 month old Lab started shedding heavily about 2 weeks ago. I realize Labs she a lot anyway and I'm familiar with seasonal sheds but this is different, he is shedding like crazy. To the point that his coat doesn't look normal any more. It looks thin across his back and is getting that frizzed look, though that could possibly be because they have used a shedding blade on him to help alleviate all the hair that just seems to fall off him. Their house has definitely become a noticeable hair pit that is just not normal. Any ideas what may cause this?
He had been eating Canidae and even the vet commented on how nice his coat looked several months ago, but then he went through a problem with loose stools so she switched him to Fromm which my dogs are on and have lustrous coats so I find it hard to believe it would be a nutrition thing.
I suggested they go have some labwork done to make sure everything is normal, but does any one have advice on things to do or supplement diet that would help his coat if all else is ok?

·
Premium Member
18,641 Posts
I don't know if it's normal, but Robbie blew his coat in early December and it's still coming out in handfuls.

If this is a sudden change and he has not done it before it might be a good idea to have a thyroid panel run. Poor coat condition can be a sign of thyroid deficiency.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They have a leather ottoman that he lays on and when he gets up it is just covered with hair, they vaccum twice a day and the floors are covered with hair, it's horrible. I hope it's just a lab thing and not a health problem.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I think I would get a thyroid panel done since this has not happened before. And if it is a thyroid issue the meds are very inexpensive and will make a big difference.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I would get a thyroid panel done since this has not happened before. And if it is a thyroid issue the meds are very inexpensive and will make a big difference.
That's kind of what I was wondering too. He has also drank water like there's no tomorrow since he was little so I wonder about diabetes. He's due to get neutered so the vet always does a good blood workup before surgery, I will suggest she ask for the thyroid panel too if it's not part of the routine labs.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I'd get a thyroid test done, just to make sure. Also, if the dog appears to be having allergies, that should be checked. My dogs scratch more when they are allergic and more coat falls out with each scratch.

This fall both dogs grew extremely thick coats, more than double their normal coat thickness. It bothered my younger golden so much it was sort of comical. Anyway, I think we now know the Farmer's Almanac predictions were correct-- a colder than normal winter! We've actually used the house heater constantly for the last month or so (as opposed to sporadically) and I think the dry heat has caused them to lose more fur.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
The shedding blade will create that damaged appearance to the coat. Hate the things!!

As well, since he is 8 months old it could be as simple as turning his coat over to begin growing an adult coat as well. This would be exacerbated by turning on your central heat. The big shed with my crew was in November when I turned my furnace on for the season.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts