Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally! I am now convinced that people are the cause of most if not all dog issues.

We learned to completely ignore Gracie for 2-3 minuets after we come home.
We noticed a difference after the first day and 3 days later the problem seems to bee gone!

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
It's really true...Tucker and Tess were making a loud fuss whenever I started fixing their food...it got really annoying so I started turning my back and walking away from the food prep area when they did that...It took all of one day and now they sit very quietly while I work on their food...

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
The sound of the doorbell is the beginning of an avalanche of affection, and walking away is not working so far. Nugget wants the whole world to be his friend! All suggestions welcome.

·
Gigi l'amoroso
52 Posts
We get the avalanche of affection from Gino too, complete with irresistible scrunched face. I will try your suggestion, although it's really hard not to gush over him whem he greets us. Thanks for sharing :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
The sound of the doorbell is the beginning of an avalanche of affection, and walking away is not working so far. Nugget wants the whole world to be his friend! All suggestions welcome.
You are lucky!! Rocky can hear the car door shutting and footsteps on the front walk. We have given up on controlling his exuberant greetings. I calmly say "go to bed" and he happily trots into his crate and lies down. He is such a good boy!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
During Penny's TPLO recovery we had to adopt a "Don't look; Don't talk" policy. And yes it does work!

However, I found it to be profoundly sad:( when she stopped getting up from her rug when we came home. Kind of like a light went out in her. Fortunately for us, lunacy is ingrained in her and we can turn that light back on with a look; a word. :D

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Penny gets THIS excited when the neighbors have company come over! :doh: The sound of the car in the driveway, door slam. I swear she can even hear THEIR doorbell!

You are lucky!! Rocky can hear the car door shutting and footsteps on the front walk. We have given up on controlling his exuberant greetings. I calmly say "go to bed" and he happily trots into his crate and lies down. He is such a good boy!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I ask all of my guests to come in, not look at the dogs and sit at the kitchen table. They can only greet the dogs (petting them and using normal tone voices) when everyone is sitting and calm.
Now, trying to get (especially those guests that love dogs) not to use their "Oh Hello Baaaaaby!!!" voices can be a challenge. But that high pitched-happy-baby talk voice is like crack to my young kids. If you can train your guests, the message will be consistent for everyone walking through the door that attention only comes with quiet behavior.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts