Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
201 - 212 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Isn't it weird, my first reaction is oh shoot, instead of oh good? I'm sorry you still don't have an answer.

Reactions: aesthetic

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
Well, it's good news that he does not have either illness, but I was so hoping this would finally give you some clear answers and a road ahead to make him better.

·
Super Moderator
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
So I took a one last last-ditch appt at Upenn to see if we can figure out his deal, appt is Oct 1. I figure if this doesn’t give us answers, then I either treat symptomatically or just let it be (depending on what the issue is).

He’s been doing OK, except that last night he was clingier than usual. He slept on top of me, on a blanket, on the couch, for 5-6 hours. This morning, he kept spitting out his kibble (like a gagging motion). He ended up finishing, but it took him 10 minutes. When I let him out, I noticed he seemed a little wobbly, but that happens with him sometimes. He seemed painful in his abdomen and definitely wasn’t feeling good, but he was laying down and resting, so I let him be. Suddenly, he starts his circling again (like he did end of July). I mean, he walked to the door just fine, but started circling on the way back from the door. Same way as last time - only circled when he started walking and when he stopped. He almost ran into a few things again but managed to move out of the way. He doesn’t have a head tilt or nystagmus, but he holds his whole body to the side. We just did bloodwork last week and it came back perfect, so I don’t know if this behavior is related to the PLE he probably doesn’t have like we thought it was last time. I imagine it is probably a vestibular episode since it’s not his brain or his gut, but who knows why my 6 year old is having vestibular problems.

He currently seems to be more alert than last time. He had the presence of mind to bark at Eden and the dog I’m petsitting when they were playing too wild and seems more interested in his surroundings. I can’t remember if he continually declined last time or if he started alert and slowly lost interest. Time will tell!

I contacted my vet and I’m waiting for a callback, but truthfully I don’t think there’s anything anyone can do

Dog Property Wood Dog breed Carnivore

·
Super Moderator
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Kaizer has one more last-ditch appt with an IMS at Upenn on Oct 1. His vet and I have agreed that this is probably the last appt I will take to see if we can get him better. Depending on what that IMS tells us, we will most likely pursue palliative care and then make the decision when his QOL becomes too greatly affected. More than anything else, I do not want him to suffer.

We have seen internal medicine, neurology, cardiology, dermatology, and oncology between March and now. My vet says I’ve done as much as I could for him and we don’t even have the slightest hint what may be wrong. She says she wouldn’t even blame me if I chose not to do this appt, but I really think I’ll regret if I don’t.

My best boy does not deserve this, so we are enjoying every minute we have left.

Reactions: Sweet Girl

·
Super Moderator Leader
52,771 Posts
I would keep the 10/1 if I were in your situation. I'd want to be sure I did everything possible I could and more, which you have done.

Best of luck, sending good thoughts to you and Kaizer.

·
Super Moderator
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
I would keep the 10/1 if I were in your situation. I'd want to be sure I did everything possible I could and more, which you have done.

Best of luck, sending good thoughts to you and Kaizer.
yeah I agree. I’m definitely keeping that appointment otherwise I’d have some serious regrets

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
I agree with Carolina Mom - and you, too! I would also want to do everything possible, try to find any answer I could. So, I too, would keep that appt... just in case it finally gives you some insight. 🤞

·
Super Moderator
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
guess who also has a neurology appt tomorrow because the neurologist wants to see him?! So much for “last ditch appointment”.

Kaizer didn’t get out of bed until 10:30, despite me letting the other dogs out and feeding them at 8 (which made me nervous cause he never wants to be left out when it comes to food). He’s been asleep since then. He’s still circling occasionally, but he can mostly walk in a straight line again without stumbling or almost running into something. He did gather the energy to play for less than 5 minutes though!

My sweet boy no longer standing crooked ❤
Dog Flooring Floor Wood Carnivore

·
Super Moderator
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
In true Kaizer fashion, neurologist had no idea. I’m glad I expected that! The dr says he doesn’t think the circling is neuro-related since the neuro exams and the MRI came back fine. He said his best guess is pain, but isn’t too sure about that either since Kaizer is fine before and after the episodes and there’s no pain response on palpation/manipulation. He says if the pain was bad enough that the dog is circling/uncomfortable because of it, we should be seeing evidence of it. So he isn’t sure why this behavior is happening.

·
Super Moderator
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
The neurologist suggested I talk to Kaizer’s rehab vet about a potential orthopedic problem. She saw him maybe 2 months ago for his weird muscle twitch/spasms but didn’t find anything weird - all things considered, he is a physically stable dog. Neurologist was also concerned about maybe an early CCL tear, but Kaizer passed the drawer test with flying colors.

Anyway, I talked to his rehab vet and she said she really didn’t think he has anything going on orthopedically and if he has any pain, it’s probably systemic. Which I figured, but still that sucked too.

Both neurologist and rehab vet suggested putting him on gabapentin for pain relief, so I started him on 100mg gabapentin 2x a day yesterday. When I jumped to the 300mg once a day, he acted like he was trying to die, so I’m building him up slowly now. The end goal is for him to be on 300mg 2x a day. I’m hoping it helps with the stiffness and hind end weakness. I almost am kinda wondering if he’s got some early arthritis happening? What symptoms would I see?

We have another vet appt on Monday because he developed an ear infection on Wednesday. He’s on a high dosage of a fairly strong antibiotic and has been since last Wednesday, so I’m worried that there’s something else growing in there (also what dog gets an infection while actively on antibiotics?!)

I’m planning on asking her my arthritis question and things to look for regarding QOL/treatment while I’m there.

Reactions: CAROLINA MOM
201 - 212 of 212 Posts