Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Linda posted this in another section of the forum, but it's really good so I thought I'd repost it here:

Home Page

Very interesting illustrations of dogs' gaits.
When Tito is coming back with a bird, I always thought he had a somewhat odd gait. Now I see that he's cantering!!!
From the website:
The canter is a preferred gait for cruising or loping easily across a field because it is not tiring and it provides good support. It is often slower than a trot but it can be easily shifted into the faster transverse gallop. Because of the even distribution of support (tripod involving hindlimb followed by tripod involving forelimb), the canter is suited for rough ground or where footing is uncertain.

Interesting stuff, good reading!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
agreed.....really good link! Thanks Linda!

·
Kate
20,440 Posts
I thought the same thing<:

My guy does the transverse gallop (I've always called it canter, but obviously it's not from the vid) sometimes (when he's really hyped up) when we do the fast pace in heeling.

·
Registered
20,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used to ride, so I know what the canter is, but I never really associated it with dogs. Now that I see the video, that's exactly what the monster boy is doing.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Happened to catch these of Tracer this summer...
He is off lead - traveling at the speed of his choosing.
It was early morning in an unfamiliar location so his head was traveling back and forth a bit....
I thought it was neat to see the distance traveled ....each brick is 8" long.

Attachments

·
Registered
926 Posts
Barb, thanks for posting this. It is interesting.

Now I know that Jake is rotary galloping when he has his crazy zoomies after a 4 mile walk. He goes at it for 5-10 minutes.

·
Registered
20,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I watched Tito carefully in field training yesterday. Definitely rotatory gallop on the way out, and for sure a canter on the way back.
Interesting to be able to put names on the gaits, thanks again Linda.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts