Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20,992 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
This should be a Sticky in the Cancer Section MODs!

Thank you for posting this! Excellent article. It's going to take some time to digest this because there is so much to consider.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
A MUST read....no matter if you are dealing with a dog with cancer or not...
Thanks for the post!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,057 Posts
Thank you for posting that....it was very interesting.

After reading this and many other reports on hemangio, I feel very fortunate to still have my Reno!!!!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Thank you for posting that....it was very interesting.

After reading this and many other reports on hemangio, I feel very fortunate to still have my Reno!!!!
Reno is an inspiration to all of us!

After just a quick review of that article I guess I'm going to try to introduce Toby to two servings of broccoli, cauliflower or cabbage (cooked I guess)..and hope he doesn't get gas from it.:crossfing

I'm also going to continue the periodic sonogram/echocardiograms in hopes of catching something early. Since Toby has other issues that need monitoring in this manner I can justify the cost.

·
Jojo's Mom
14 Posts
Very informative

This was a fantastic article and information regarding hemangisarcoma. My 9 yr old Jojo is suffering from this disease, and after having had his spleen removed 3 mths ago, is now having labored breathing. It may be time to let him go, but I just don't know how to have the strength to do it. I pray for strength each day knowing it may be time to let go of my baby boy :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have just read the posted article too as our 7 yr. old golden has just been diagnosed (not difinitively) with Angiosarcoma. He is still feeling good, jumping off docks and chasing tennis balls. I went to buy him more food and was told not to give him any more grain but more of a plant and protein based diet. I'm determined to try anything to prolong his life. I'm looking for a good diet to help boost his immunity. Any one have suggestions?

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I just wanted to pull out a relevant passage from this piece that confirms something many of us have been repeating on the forum for a long time: there is no better, more straightforward protection for your dog from cancer and disease than a healthy weight:

One of the healthiest things that any of us can do for our dogs is to grow our puppies slowly by strictly limiting food intake, and to keep our dogs very trim throughout their lives. Slowly grown puppies, kept trim as adults, showed significantly reduced rates of cancer, and an older age of onset of cancer, as compared to their littermates that served as a control group (Kealy et al, 2002). Overall, the trim dogs enjoyed a median life span that was 22 months longer than the littermates. In addition, the food-restricted dogs had lower rates of osteoarthritis, liver disease, and false pregnancies than did their pair-mates. Restricted food studies have shown similar results in a variety of other animals including mice and rats, and preliminary results in rhesus monkeys. There are no breeding selection factors that are known to have as great an impact on overall longevity as this study indicated is possible with calorie restriction.
It doesn't just protect from cancer, but from all kinds of disease. I always wonder how much of modern dogs' cancer rates has to do with how fat many modern dogs are.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I just wanted to pull out a relevant passage from this piece that confirms something many of us have been repeating on the forum for a long time: there is no better, more straightforward protection for your dog from cancer and disease than a healthy weight:

It doesn't just protect from cancer, but from all kinds of disease. I always wonder how much of modern dogs' cancer rates has to do with how fat many modern dogs are.
Same with people.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
"They" ARE most definitely working on it and making progress

These 2 links have some additional info on hemangiosarcoma.

Sept 2015 https://www.grca.org/news/heritable-risk-for-lymphoma-and-hemangiosarcoma-in-golden-retrievers/

Feb 2015 PLOS Genetics: Genome-wide Association Study Identifies Shared Risk Loci Common to Two Malignancies in Golden Retrievers

Although I think the comments about excess weight contributing to cancer and other illnesses has some definite validity, lean dogs get cancer too.

·
Registered
20,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To clarify the relationship between excess weight and cancer, including in humans, it is only one of many risk factors. It is one of the few we have control over. However, being overweight certainly doesn't mean that one will absolutely get cancer nor does being lean guarantee that you won't. If only it were that simple.
The #1 risk factor for cancer is age.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts